Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Porsches on Pikes Peak: Int'l Hill Climb; Jeff Zwart in Colorado Springs- GT2RS, 993s

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 03:23 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Excellence-Mag.com's "Zwart back at Pikes Peak in GT2 RS" by RLer excmag:
Originally Posted by Pete Stout

Preparation has been minimal. The full factory club sport cage (an option in RoW models) and a race seat have been installed, the interior has been partially stripped, and lightweight plastic GT3 Cup doors take the place of the aluminum-and-glass units. The 19-inch, one-piece centerlock wheels have given way to 18-inch, three-piece BBS alloys wearing Michelin racing tires.

^^Photography by Bob Bills.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:33 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Pete finishes the above article with the words, "We’d say Zwart is one to watch this year, but he’s facing tough—and unexpected—competition from longtime friendly foes: the Millen clan."

Article on Rhys Millen, featuring a quote by Jeff Zwart about his friend (yet foe!); Gazette.com's "Millens driven to cement family's Hill Climb legacy:"

Originally Posted by JOE PAISLEY

The Millens’ legacy as one of the great families of the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb already seems secure. Unlimiteds division driver Rhys Millen wants to make very sure of it by taking back the all-time record.

“You are only on this Earth for a certain period of time,” he said. “We plan on being the fastest car up the hill and getting the world record back in the family name, the Millen name.”

It’s already a well-regarded name thanks to his father Rod, 60, who returns Sunday to compete after an 11-year absence, in the Time Attack 2WD division. He posted the top qualifying times in all three sections this week using his son’s drift competition car.

Rod won eight class championships and the overall title five times (1994 and 1996-99) with a then-Unlimiteds record (10:04.06) in 1994.

“Their legacy is already secure. When I found out about Rod competing, I thought that arguably the best driver of the modern era (after the Unsers) just entered my class,” said defending champ Jeff Zwart, who holds the class record (11:31.095), 38 seconds better than the mark set by Rhys (12:09.40) in 2009. “That’s a little bit intimidating.”

The chance to set two marks as a father-son team will only add to their history at America’s second-oldest motorsports race.

“I’m pleased he wants to add to the family’s legacy,” Rod said. “It’s important to Rhys and it’s fabulous that he takes it seriously.”

Rhys, a six-time Hill Climb champion, still wants to make sure the Millen name lives on.

“This isn’t about my first name. I’d love to have my daughter race here someday and have people come up to her and say they remember seeing my father race,” he said. “I just want to carry on the legacy.”

Smashing the 10-minute mark would cement it.

“Breaking into the 9‘s has been a dream of mine for the last 10 years,” Rhys said.

Five-time defending Unlimiteds champ Nobuhiro “Monster” Tajima feels much the same. He has been tantalizingly close — setting the record of 10:01.408 in 2007 — and the practice times leader has high hopes that Sunday could be the day.

“It’s never about just finishing,” he said.
Old 06-25-2011, 03:41 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Down to wire, Jeff's in #2 for start, trailing by 1.5 seconds

^^ Although Jeff was a full 38 seconds ahead of Rod Millen's best time in formal racing, this week's practices show that tomorrow's race will be a nail-biter, per autoBlog.com's "2011 Pikes Peak Hill Climb, Practice Day 3 sets the running order:"
Originally Posted by Drew Phillips

Rod Millen looks to be the close favorite in the 2WD Time Attack class, edging out his close friend Jeff Zwart by a second and a half during today's qualifying. Millen's Hyundai Genesis was far faster on yesterday's practice session, however, topping Zwart's Porsche 911 GT2 RS by thirteen seconds.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:57 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The following touches on the full extent of Jeff's many talents and illustrates the far-reaching impact of his work.

Given that the Millens are racing Hyundais, it's ironic that this commercial Zwart directed is not only for Hyundai, but driven by Rhys Millen:

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: YT
Old 06-25-2011, 04:06 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For a feeling of the speeds involved:
6+ minute video of hill climb practice.

Watch at least 2:15 trough 2:45 just to see how easy it is to spin out, followed by Jeff's comparable precision of a surgeon.
After Zwart is Rod Millen.

The 'unlimited' category starts at ~5:10, with Rhys Millen @ 5:35, & Tajima 'Monster' Nobuhiro closing the show:

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: YT
Old 06-25-2011, 04:13 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Rhys Millens has 6 victories in the race to the clouds.

Jeff has 7. Rod Millens 8, per above article.

Rhys Millen & Tajima 'Monster' Nobuhiro for HRE:

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 01:20 PM. Reason: YT
Old 06-25-2011, 04:24 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Speaking of videos, you should be able to watch Sunday's race live by clicking here.
Likewise, audio streaming should be here all day of the race.

There's a lot of talk by most everyone of beating the legendary "10 minute mark," which has never been done.

Here's Tajima 'Monster' Nobuhiro. His best time? 10 minutes and 1 second...

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 01:11 PM. Reason: YT
Old 06-25-2011, 04:50 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

An insight into Jeff's Porsche passion, creativity, & love of exploring the hills...
Click below to play video:

Old 06-25-2011, 04:58 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curve lover

a 993 he's won his class in, racing to the clouds:

In person, I've seen another factory poster of Jeff's 993 rocketing up Pikes Peak, but can't find it online.
It's awesome & I'd like to see it again. If anyone can find more shots of the 993s he's raced, please post 'em

After finding 993 Zwart pix hard to find on the net, one of my favorite parts of the above video was his diecast collection:

Old 06-25-2011, 05:03 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not just a performer & artist of the rally, here's the 'renaissance man' in his studio!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Great story and thread! That last pic with the car and the hauler is great!
Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cactus-- Jeff has quite the eye for great photos.

Even just seeing Jeff's hauler in person was cool: a portable garage of the highest caliber.
As opposed to the racing marvel's red paint & attention-grabbing stickers, the truck was purposefully stealth & non-descript grey ... but still undeniably bad to the bone in it own.

The great story behind the video & photos:
Originally Posted by Mark Arcenal

Works: Jeff Zwart

When you google Jeff Zwart you get a number of results which made it difficult to have a focal point for the interview. Director, Racer, Photographer, Writer & Cameraman all popped up.. Thinking about the feature we were going to do on him, I thought maybe we check out his 770 acre ranch in Marin County and see how it goes.

But before we start the interview, let me tell you how we even got to interview this extraordinary and accomplished individual. My mom called me one day and said her next door neighbor is a mountain car champion and has a lot of porsches and classic cars and that I should meet him being that I was a huge porsche fanatic myself. So a week passes by and we’re headed to my parents house for the weekend and as we pull up, we notice this really classic speedster outside and notice a brand new Black/Black 997 GT3 RS in the garage. He is into porsches and as I look a little closer, the 997 GT3 RS was black with black RS livery?!@!?! How is that possible? They only made the Black GT3 RS’s in Black with Orange. Little did I know what awesomeness I was getting myself into…

After meeting and a few emails back and forth, Jeff and I agreed to goto his Ranch past the marin border to take photos. We talked about the things he’s done and accomplished after living in Europe as a student. Jeff would goto many F1 races and take photos that would in turn lead to being a journalist for Road and Track in America and foster his passion for racing. Imagine shooting F1 on the weekends sending the film overseas and getting published and paid as a student. Awesome.

So together with Felix and Brandon, we call Jeff and meet him at the meeting spot, grab some lunch and then head to the ranch. We pull up to Hill Climb Ranch and notice right away the huge palm tree, a modern building housing 2 garages on both ends and two large dogs running around like lassie. Cool.

So the next couple of hours Jeff introduces us to his home away from home. Whenever he’s not out directing videos, shooting photos or racing, he’s at the ranch. Its his art space. A place where he reflects and organizes all his experiences from being all around the world.

He’s created a few books and Three Points of Contact is his latest featuring drivers from the Race of Champions. From seven-time Formula One World Champion Michael Schumacher to reigning NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson, the book captures in detail each racers eye’s, hands, and feet. The three points of contact that every driver employs.

So as we learned alot about Jeff’s life in detail, we also were introduced to his rally career in racing. He showed us around his ranch which is also home to his own private 1.7 mile rally course. We packed into his Defender 110 and he took us up and down it. Sometimes pushing the limits of the 110. The course started out flat then climbed to the top of the mountain overlooking all of Marin and San Francisco County. It was like being on Mt. Tamalpais with views for days.

When we returned, we got to check out his classic porsche. I’m sure most of you have seen this porsche commercial.

He directed the commercial and happens to own one of the stars from it. A classic 356 Porsche.

Here’s Jeff getting interviewed by Jay Leno after reaching another milestone at Pikes Peak.

Kill the Hill! Jeff climbing to become the 7 times Pike Peak Champion!
Thanks again to Jeff for your hospitality and inspiration. Hard work definitely pays off.

Last edited by curve lover; 07-04-2012 at 01:19 PM. Reason: YT
Old 06-25-2011, 05:24 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

From 2009's "Blue! See 1 you like???" thread, the story behind the above commercial Jeff directed for Porsche:

Old 06-25-2011, 05:44 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

More of Jeff's work with exotic Porsches to enjoy

'49 Gmund coupe ... & other selected offshoots of the family tree

'extended remix' of commercial

928 makes an appearance.

Blue! See 1 you like???

BLUE'S BACK!

Old 06-25-2011, 05:50 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Last video from above thread.
Apparently when Porsche wanted someone to direct their first TV advertisement in years, they turned to Jeff.

Jeff Zwart "Bloodlines" commercial

Similar family theme for another 4+ seater -- featuring closest siblings, not an all-out effort to re-unite the entire family tree.

Reportedly the first Porsche commercial made after a 2-year break:

Quick Reply: Porsches on Pikes Peak: Int'l Hill Climb; Jeff Zwart in Colorado Springs- GT2RS, 993s