993 Forum 1995-1998

Washed Key Fob/No Immobilizer Code

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 12:37 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Washed Key Fob/No Immobilizer Code

Well I really did it this time. Short version of the story wife picked up wet car towels which had my keys in the mix and threw into washer. My bad for being in a rush. Anyhooo, I opened the remote unit and let air dry. Then put in in rice for 24 hours to dehumidify. No luck. Then realized I don't have the 4 digit immobilizer code. I will try to get it from dealer and ordered a new key fob from ebay for $150 arrrrghhhh.

The red remote light still works so not sure if there's a chance the unit needs to be reprogrammed but I'll give it a try.

Spoke to dealer on the phone and they wanted me to tow the car in so they could reprogram. Nice try but no thanks I have Rennlist and owner's manual

Let you know how it turns out..

--Tito
Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I expect that there's some sort of short in your transmitter, so re-programming probably won't help it, but you never know. You may want to open it up and let it dry in the sun for a few days?

Either way, you'll definitely need the code which I believe can be pulled by a dealer from your VIN. You should have to prove ownership.

You may be able to do better than $150 for a new transmitter at Sunset Imports, but I haven't priced them lately.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:01 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

have you changed the battery in the washed remote ? If it lights up, change to a new battery and try it.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:16 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

You may be able to do better than $150 for a new transmitter at Sunset Imports, but I haven't priced them lately.
Sunset has it for $131 plus tax. I'll order a spare fob and plain key. Too late to cancel ebay order..thanks.

have you changed the battery in the washed remote ? If it lights up, change to a new battery and try it.
I'll give it a shot with a new battery on wet remote..thanks.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:01 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

A new battery will lose around 20% of it's charge if you drop it once on a hard floor. And will lose a decreasing smaller percentage each time it gets a new shock. If it is empty, the effect will reverse slightly. Some people slap their TV remote when battery dies, and it works for a few more beeps. Some freeze batteries for thermal shock.
I imagined the remote tumbling in the washing machine.
Almost sure a new battery will work, good luck, regards

Last edited by geolab; 05-31-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 01:16 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hide my remotes...
Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Update:

unfortunately did not work, looks like the chip is fried.

On a positive note the dealer verified ownership and will be calling me back with the codes today. Next steps, to receive shipment of new remote and program it. I wonder if the immobilizer can be bypassed on a 97'. I know Bill V. figured it out on his MY 95.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:04 PM
pcarrera993
Racer

Hallelujah!!! Done after the umpteenth time. Thanks to Rennlist contributors teaching me everything about the immobilizer and Manhattan Porsche for providing the code after drawing blood, providing urine sample, and taking polygraph!! woohoo!!

--Tito
Old 06-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Great news! It took me quite a few tries as well...its not intuitive is it?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-05-2011, 01:00 AM
pcarrera993
Racer

Thanks Mike. I was failing right before step 3. You have to start when light shuts off, not off/on. I figured it out when the remote light on clock wasn't blinking which flags you to start programming code.

Borrowed from https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...r-battery.html
2. Switch the ignition on. The warning light (looks like a remote symbol) in the clock will go on and then off after 15 seconds.

3. Switch the ignition off and on again within 5 seconds. The warning light in the clock will light up and start to flash after 15 seconds.

Huge PIA to get the code. I had to call several dealers as most want your business. For the type of usage I put on my car I don't mind the immobilizer. It actually let's me sleep better.

--Tito

Quick Reply: Washed Key Fob/No Immobilizer Code