993 Forum 1995-1998

993 coupe vs cabrio?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:02 AM
tempesta29
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 coupe vs cabrio?

Hello. This is my first post. Feel free to tell me I should have searched more on this topic but...

In my search for a decent 993 I've noticed there are, at least from what I've seen, a lot of cabrios on the market compared to coupes. Is there a particular reason for this? Are cabrios less valuable in the long run because of the maintenance of the soft tops?

I actually think I want a cabriolet but I'm just curious as to why there are so many more on the market in comparison to the coupes, especially since, I imagine, more coupes were produced. Maybe this is just perceived by me and isn't true at all.

Anybody with a 993 cab feel like sharing their thoughts on their experiences with this car?
Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 AM
Jack Ennuste
Burning Brakes

993 was originally designed as a coupe. Cabriolet has less structurally rigid chassis and it's not as precise to drive. Cab is also heavier, so it 0-60 acceleration is more than coupe.
So, most purists go for coupe.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:32 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You might be seeing more cabriolets on the market right now because it's convertible season ... people are looking for convertibles this time of year.

I've owned several 993 coupes and this is my second cabriolet. I find both cars very precise to drive, especially if you install a quality suspension, strut brace and lower the car. The 0-60 difference is negligible and nothing you're going to feel behind the wheel in normal driving.

I prefer the cabriolet because I like the open air and being able to hear the flat six behind me. Others may feel differently. That being said, my cab is for sale because I want to get another Turbo ... and that would be a coupe in a 993.

There is a little bit more maintenance at some point in the car's life because the top can wear out, and the automatic top mechanism is an old design and prone to failing. Most people -- myself included -- just disconnect the motors and put the top up by hand, using the electric latches to close it.

People argue all the time about the relative values between coupes and cabriolets, but the fact is, the cabriolet stickered for more when it was new and its book value is higher in the consumer and dealer publications. Otherwise, who knows... you won't find an identical coupe and cabriolet to get a fair price comparison on.

Drive both and see what you prefer.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:29 AM
tempesta29
Intermediate

Thanks for your input guys. Here's the specific car I'm looking at. Anything stand out?

http://j.mp/e2OHQZ
Old 04-24-2011, 07:05 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts
Default PPI

Do a pre-purchase inspection, i.e. leak down test, etc... at a Porsche dealer or independent shop if you are serious about this car - worth the money......good price if all checks out......looks nice...
Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 AM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Drive both and then decide. I drove a cab before the coupe and the cab just wasn't for me.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:42 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, depends on what your preference is: riding with the top down versus the classic lines of the coupe.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm obviously biased. As I said in other posts "There's nothing like driving on a hot summer night with the top down and the wind around your head". I love my cab. As far as performance compared to a coupe, it's still more than I can handle.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:15 AM
993RS
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some cars are born cabriolets, like the Cobra, for example, or a number of classic british sports cars: MGs, Austin Healies, etc.

The 911 was born a coupe. 911 cabriolets are great, but don't compare aesthetically to the above mentioned cars as cabriolets...
Old 04-24-2011, 10:17 AM
RJT
Lifetime Member

Received 312 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by TRM
Drive both and then decide. I drove a cab before the coupe and the cab just wasn't for me.
+1

I owned a C2S and then a Cab. To be honest I preferred the Coupe (and still do), because that is what felt the best in, but we are all different. If at all possible for you to do before you buy one, drive both of them and see what you think for yourself.

Good luck in your search for the perfect fit.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by vjd3
People argue all the time about the relative values between coupes and cabriolets, but the fact is, the cabriolet stickered for more when it was new and its book value is higher in the consumer and dealer publications. Otherwise, who knows... you won't find an identical coupe and cabriolet to get a fair price comparison on.
Facts:

1. Cabriolets cost more than coupes when new
2. Cab book values are slightly higher than coupes
3. Market values for coupes are higher than cabs

Use fact #3 when looking to purchase a cab; otherwise you'll overpay. It is simply the law of supply and demand in effect here. Most of the enthusiasts are chasing the coupe. FWIW, in Europe the pricing disparity is not as great. All 993's are great cars.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:20 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

The Coupes are growing in demand as buyers want the classic body lines of the 911.
Prices will soon reflect this too.

The Converts although pricey from new, were born coupes and converted to rags. They lost the pretty roof line in translation, but still is the great little sister of the 993 coupe. If you a top down guy, you cant pass up a 993 cab. It is a great porsche.

Good coupes are getting harder to find.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Facts:

1. Cabriolets cost more than coupes when new
2. Cab book values are slightly higher than coupes
3. Market values for coupes are higher than cabs
As I have said in the past ... dealers use the Black Book Cars of Particular Interest regional editions to set their selling prices on Porsches (as a dealer, you should know that, deadhead ... when are you going to come clean and fess up about it? selling 8 cars and umpteen parts in 12 months makes you one) ... last month's edition shows the typical $2500-3000 spread between coupe and cabriolet prices in favor of the cabriolet. The CPI book also sets insurance evaluations although they will lowball you with the NADA or KBB values if your car is totaled as the CPI numbers are always higher.

You can talk about market values until you are blue in the face but unless you can find two identically optioned 1996 Carrera 2 coupes and cabriolets with the exact same paint color, interior color, exact mileage, ownership history, and exact mechanical and cosmetic condition, service history, tires, brakes, upgrades, etc. for sale at the same time in the same zip code, "market value" is a useless comparison, the only valid data point that exists is the book numbers, which is what the pros go by ... although not necessarily the curbstoners, eh?

You can argue that a coupe might be easier to sell, but not to someone who is interested in a cabriolet, as this gentleman is. When I was looking for a cabriolet, the best coupe in the world might have appeared at a low price, but I wasn't buying it.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:44 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

To the OP (tempesta29), don't just listen to me...or the guy with the red cab shilling his car on this post. Call a few of the better resellers of air cooled Porsches (TruSpeed, Wilhoit, etc.) and ask them the question. I believe their responses will validate my response.

The only valid data point that exists are actual sales figures, which is a reflection of market values. If we all went by book value, my house would be worth $1.5 million, not the $1.1 million that the market is willing to pay me.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by vjd3
(as a dealer, you should know that, deadhead ... when are you going to come clean and fess up about it? selling 8 cars and umpteen parts in 12 months makes you one)

For the new people:

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-for-sale.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-gt3-also.html

Quick Reply: 993 coupe vs cabrio?