Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Help: Recaro Pole Position install

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Washabi
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

so let me get this straight, everything that you would need in order to mount and install a Recaro Pole position with the stock seat belt is:

Recaro Sliders
Recaro Side Mounts
and the OEM seat belt support (http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...BELT%20SUPPORT)

???
Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I think so. I tried the above Recaro sliders with the built in bracket. Works for Sport Topline, not for Pole Position with Recaro mounts. I also tried the BK piece. It works, and would be fine if you didn't want to move the seat around much. But I can't quite get the back tunnel side slider bolt in with the seat in the position I want. I bought the above OEM piece, but now can't find the damn bolt. I'm assuming it is the same as what I pulled out of the existing Recaro one I had, but now have one on order. Once that's in in a couple days, I should be golden.

You should of course get the grade 8, 10, or even 12 bolts for mounting, rather than the somewhat soft stock ones.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost. You will also need some spacers that are the same thickness as the OEM seat belt support.

Also note that the seat belt support mounting holes don't line up with the Recaro parts, and they will catch on the tunnel. You will need to reshape the mounting holes on all the parts to make everything work.

There will also be interference issue if you try to use the lower mounting holes on the aluminum side mount. I'm 5'7" so it's not a big deal, but I'd have liked to try 1/2" to 1" lower, or recline just a hair more. It seems possible to cut away some material on the side mount to get the seat lower. You might want to see if there is someone here with PP that you can try out first.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

You will need to reshape the mounting holes on all the parts to make everything work.
Can you elaborate?

Oh, and yeah, forgot about the spacers. I used washers on the BK piece, I'm using some that came with the Recaro sliders / mount I had left over on the OEM RS piece.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:44 PM
993KT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two mounting holes on the seat belt bracket. The spacing between the two holes are not the same as the holes on the Recaro brackets and sliders. So I just used a dremel to elongate the holes both on the Recaro bracket and Recaro slider a little to match the OEM seatbelt bracket.

The seatbelt bracket sticks out a little too much, so the bolt that holds the seat belt was catching on the center tunnel. I took the dremel tool again and elongate the holes on the seatbelt bracket sideways a little so they hug the seat more. You might not have that problem depending on your seat belt setup. I had both the 5 pt harness and stock seatbelt receptacle there so I need a slightly longer bolt. In the long run I plan to properly drill/weld a new anchor in the tunnel for the 5 pt.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

If one dremels the holes on the seatbelt bracket sideways, wouldn't that allow the bracket to shift a bit during impact? I guess that tiny bit wouldn't matter...
Old 05-18-2015, 11:07 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 53 Posts

Dredging up an old thread for a couple reasons:

1) I'm stuck and could use some suggestions, and

2) to prevent others from going down a potential dead-end street

I have Pole Positions installed in my 993. I have the stock 3 pt belts. I didn't like how the stock receptacles rode on the outside of the seat and because of the height, force the belt up over the tall side bolster. I wanted to run the receptacle through the side hole. I'm using the RS spacer/mount.

Based on my research, and the suggestions in this thread, it seems that the 997 receptacles are just the ticket. I ordered a new pair, eliminated the wire for the passenger side, and rewired the plug on the drivers side. They fit exactly right. Perfect! But just one problem.

The male side of the seat belt doesn't fit! Stupid me, I could have saved a lot of work by trying them out first. I suppose I assumed seat belts were a standardized item. My mistake.

So now what? Any suggestions? I'd imagine the seat belt itself from the 997 is quite different than the 993. It doesn't appear that the male portion can be changed on the 993 belt either. Aftermarket maybe? I was not quite ready to go to 5/6 pt harnesses yet.

TIA
Old 05-19-2015, 05:26 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I cannot help with this but it is another great example that installation of aftermarket seats is much more difficult than people think ... When I did my 996 Euro GT3 seats, I followed "proven" instructions by the letter including the required mounting material.

GL
Old 12-16-2015, 02:47 PM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm looking to get some Recaro aluminum side mounts. Who has the best price on these? Thank you.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:56 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Did anyone ever come up with a solution on getting the seat belt receptacle on the inside of the Pole Position seat?
Old 03-29-2016, 12:02 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Did anyone ever come up with a solution on getting the seat belt receptacle on the inside of the Pole Position seat?
Yep, needs a bit of custom work. I drilled a hole for a bolt in the side brackets. Used the recaro side brackets. Need to be a bit creative with it! If the app would let me post a pic I could show you what I used.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:10 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Managed to upload a pic in the other thread. Hopefully these help.
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2016, 12:58 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Managed to upload a pic in the other thread. Hopefully these help.
That's what I thought after scrolling thru this, "just drill an appropriate hole".
Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Southbound trimmers has sidemounts that incorporate the threaded seat belt fitting in a reinforced sidemount

I used the RS mount + associated 3mm washers and moved a rear seat belt to go through the side hole, it's a tad short but not much worse than the stock one in my Toyota truck

These are SPG XL which have even deeper bolsters than PP
Old 03-29-2016, 10:36 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Originally Posted by OverBoosted28
That's what I thought after scrolling thru this, "just drill an appropriate hole".
Yep, that's what it comes down to. I had a friend make a little spacer so the receiving end can move a little. Put a little rubber ring between the nut and the inside of the seat. Nice and quiet and fairly simple. If you drill the hole in the position of the bracket and use the stock 993 receivers it will be perfect hight.

Quick Reply: Help: Recaro Pole Position install