Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT - HELP - Bleeding Brakes GMC Yukon

Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OT - HELP - Bleeding Brakes GMC Yukon

Hope one of you wrenches have a solution for me.

I replaced brake pads on my 2007 Yukon. While bleeding brakes, I cannot seem to get the air out of the front brake lines. The rears bleed just as you expect. The fronts keep getting significant amounts of air bubbles and the pedal depresses all the way to the floor. I understand that the GM scan tool actually runs you through a bleed sequence and actuates the ABS solenoids. Is this the only option?
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Made the mistake once of going to answer the phone while I was bleeding the brakes on a Tahoe, big mistake. Vince, are you using a pressure bleeder? If no, try that first. Also, start the car and press the pedal down several times (not rapidly) then bleed it again.

If you need to borrow a Motive Bleeder I can loan you mine.

I took the Tahoe to a Chevy dealer to get them to finish flushing the brakes, they looked at me as in "why would you want to bleed the brakes?"
Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bill,

I think I found the problem. The master cylinder is leaking. I was NOT using the pressure bleeder, because mine is a german only setup. We probably over extended the travel on the master during the bleed. I picked up a vacuum style bleeder at the parts store alongwith the master cylinder to finish up the job. Have you used the vacuum style bleeders? Would your motive work on the GM master cylinder?
Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
Thanks Bill,

I think I found the problem. The master cylinder is leaking. I was NOT using the pressure bleeder, because mine is a german only setup. We probably over extended the travel on the master during the bleed. I picked up a vacuum style bleeder at the parts store alongwith the master cylinder to finish up the job. Have you used the vacuum style bleeders? Would your motive work on the GM master cylinder?
I have never had any luck with the vacuum style bleeder, they always seem to suck air from around the bleed screw.

I had/have a universal adapter that fits on the top and is secured by chain around the MC. It would be easier if you got the correct GM style cap though.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:33 PM
tigerrat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, I'd go with the pressure bleed over the vacuum. I used one on my Expedition w/the adapter a while back and it worked fine. A bit of a kluge but it worked. If your reservoir is plastic, watch not to over tighten the chain. Ken
Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Got her back together and driving. You guys are right, the vacuum bleed method leaves alot to be desired. It got me through most of the process, but had to finish up with the old pump the brake pedal method to get a firm pedal.

Thanks for your help guys, and thanks Bill for the offer of your pressure bleeder!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT - HELP - Bleeding Brakes GMC Yukon