Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    

Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 993 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 03-21-2011, 12:41 PM   #1
vincer77
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default OT - HELP - Bleeding Brakes GMC Yukon

Hope one of you wrenches have a solution for me.

I replaced brake pads on my 2007 Yukon. While bleeding brakes, I cannot seem to get the air out of the front brake lines. The rears bleed just as you expect. The fronts keep getting significant amounts of air bubbles and the pedal depresses all the way to the floor. I understand that the GM scan tool actually runs you through a bleed sequence and actuates the ABS solenoids. Is this the only option?
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

Vince

1997 Carrera 2 Cabriolet, Arena Red, ROW M030 with Bilstein HDs, SS brake lines, RSR mufflers, Schnell Front Brace, 996 BBS 10-spoke wheels, 6000 HIDs, RS engine mounts
1994 Harley Davidson FXR

"Roger that Sir. Thank you." Leutenant Michael Murphy, US Navy SEAL SDV 1
vincer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #2
993BillW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Made the mistake once of going to answer the phone while I was bleeding the brakes on a Tahoe, big mistake. Vince, are you using a pressure bleeder? If no, try that first. Also, start the car and press the pedal down several times (not rapidly) then bleed it again.

If you need to borrow a Motive Bleeder I can loan you mine.

I took the Tahoe to a Chevy dealer to get them to finish flushing the brakes, they looked at me as in "why would you want to bleed the brakes?"

'97 993 C2 Coupe, Arena Red/Black
'10 Cayenne GTS
'13 VW Golf R (the dog's ride)(now gone)
past Porsche's....993 cab, '88 911, 968 & 955

993BillW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
vincer77
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bill,

I think I found the problem. The master cylinder is leaking. I was NOT using the pressure bleeder, because mine is a german only setup. We probably over extended the travel on the master during the bleed. I picked up a vacuum style bleeder at the parts store alongwith the master cylinder to finish up the job. Have you used the vacuum style bleeders? Would your motive work on the GM master cylinder?

Vince

1997 Carrera 2 Cabriolet, Arena Red, ROW M030 with Bilstein HDs, SS brake lines, RSR mufflers, Schnell Front Brace, 996 BBS 10-spoke wheels, 6000 HIDs, RS engine mounts
1994 Harley Davidson FXR

Old 03-21-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
993BillW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincer77 View Post
Thanks Bill,

I think I found the problem. The master cylinder is leaking. I was NOT using the pressure bleeder, because mine is a german only setup. We probably over extended the travel on the master during the bleed. I picked up a vacuum style bleeder at the parts store alongwith the master cylinder to finish up the job. Have you used the vacuum style bleeders? Would your motive work on the GM master cylinder?
I have never had any luck with the vacuum style bleeder, they always seem to suck air from around the bleed screw.

I had/have a universal adapter that fits on the top and is secured by chain around the MC. It would be easier if you got the correct GM style cap though.

'97 993 C2 Coupe, Arena Red/Black
'10 Cayenne GTS
'13 VW Golf R (the dog's ride)(now gone)
past Porsche's....993 cab, '88 911, 968 & 955

993BillW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
tigerrat
User

I agree, I'd go with the pressure bleed over the vacuum. I used one on my Expedition w/the adapter a while back and it worked fine. A bit of a kluge but it worked. If your reservoir is plastic, watch not to over tighten the chain. Ken
tigerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM   #6
vincer77
Addict
Rennlist Member

Got her back together and driving. You guys are right, the vacuum bleed method leaves alot to be desired. It got me through most of the process, but had to finish up with the old pump the brake pedal method to get a firm pedal.

Thanks for your help guys, and thanks Bill for the offer of your pressure bleeder!

Vince

1994 Harley Davidson FXR

Old 03-23-2011, 02:07 PM
Rennlist

Paid Advertisement

Tags
02, 1998, 2007, abs, bleed, bleeder, brakes, cylinder, flush, gmc, how, master, pressure, tahoe, yukon