993 Forum 1995-1998

Broken molex connector on CCU

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 01:02 AM
pchansen1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken molex connector on CCU

My CCU (climate control unit) started to fail a while back and I assumed I was experiencing failed/burned internal amps in the CCU. When I pulled the CCU I noticed the clip that secures the 25-pin "K" connector to the back of the CCU was broken resulting a the connector pulling out and not making full contact with the pins in the CCU.
Now my problem is how to fix this. I could try gluing the clip back on but I highly doubt that the bond would take the stress. Second, I could locate a salvaged plug and make 22 separate butt splices. I'm not looking forward to this as Porsche left exactly zero slack in the wire harness and would be a nightmare to do. I could try to locate a tool that could remove the pins and transfer them to the molex plug (as in not butt splicing), although because of the lack of slack, this won't be any easier. I'm still trying to figure out how I could secure the existing plug without going through all the above issues. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Paul
Old 11-08-2010, 01:08 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There are some very high quality plastic epoxies out there that could probably get the clip back on, assuming you have the piece and it's a somewhat clean fracture.

I wonder if you could get some sort of molex to molex extension with a short cable. That way you could secure the broken connector to the extension and use the new end for the CCU.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

If you can get a replacement connector, I'd remove the pins and reinsert them into the replacement.

Are you sure it is a Molex brand connector, or does it just look like one?

Mouser has Molex and no minimum orders.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Or if you know an electrical engineer, they can contact Mouser and get free samples of the housing in question, as a professional courtesy.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:39 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Or if you know an electrical engineer, they can contact Mouser and get free samples of the housing in question, as a professional courtesy.
Molex will do that. They sent me a slew of gold plated pins when Mouser was out of them.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:05 AM
993Porsche
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 9 Posts

I've broken mine years ago. But it clamped shut even without the connector.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 PM
pchansen1
Advanced

Think I fixed it...pictures soon. Thanks for all you help, guys.
Old 11-09-2010, 05:17 PM
pchansen1
Advanced

Here's the simple fix. First off, I couldn't believe how tight this connector is. It literally took all my strength to push the connector in. There wasn't much slack in the harness, so I didn't have much leverage. In any case, I used some safety wire wrapped around the back of the plug and drew it tight. This pushed the tang on the connector into the hook on the CCU.
Unfortunately, I still have a bad internal amp that controls the defroster servo and will be replacing it soon with the help of a fellow Rennlister.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Broken molex connector on CCU