993 Forum 1995-1998

Central Information Light ON - ALONE! and intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Central Information Light ON - ALONE! and intermittent

Here's the trouble - the Central Information Light (the red Exclamation Sign) light comes on and sometimes stays on, sometimes goes off all on its own. And, no secondary lights light up either. I checked - and all the bulbs seem to be OK, as in turn on if the ignition is on. Once I acknowledge the light, it tends to stay off, but not necessarily.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before? According to the manual, the CIL should not illuminate all by itself, there ALWAYS should be the second warning light. I ran the OBDII software diagnostic tool, and no codes came up (other than the dreaded secondary air intake reporting a problem - but this is typically accompanied by the CEL, which has been on. This is a known issue to me, and it does not trigger the CIL).

So - stumped.

Thoughts?
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

sometimes mine does that too.. oddly enough, if i hit a hard bump, or pound on the dash, it comes on.. this tells me it's a short/ or fault related in the gauge..
Old 06-26-2011, 08:20 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Default Status Quo....

Bump...

It just keeps happening and nobody seems to find the cause...

Originally Posted by maestromaestro
Here's the trouble - the Central Information Light (the red Exclamation Sign) light comes on and sometimes stays on, sometimes goes off all on its own. And, no secondary lights light up either. I checked - and all the bulbs seem to be OK, as in turn on if the ignition is on. Once I acknowledge the light, it tends to stay off, but not necessarily.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before? According to the manual, the CIL should not illuminate all by itself, there ALWAYS should be the second warning light. I ran the OBDII software diagnostic tool, and no codes came up (other than the dreaded secondary air intake reporting a problem - but this is typically accompanied by the CEL, which has been on. This is a known issue to me, and it does not trigger the CIL).

So - stumped.

Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2011, 11:31 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Please take a look at your ground cable at the battery. It may look new, but your best bet is to replace it. I was informed in my search to ban the light gremlin, that cable picks up resistance as it ages and may need replacement.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:42 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can try popping the switch out of the center console, then pulling the switch off it's plug and reinstall (off/on several times helps) to see if there is oxidation on the connections that are causing intermittent connections. Also, cycle the switch a bunch of time to help clean the switch contacts.

Never had this exact problem, but this is the first thing to try with intermittent electrical issues (and its doesn't cost you anything, hardly any time either). Often the electrical gremlins are simple, like a connector issue or built up switch corrosion.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:13 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjr914
You can try popping the switch out of the center console, then pulling the switch off it's plug and reinstall (off/on several times helps) to see if there is oxidation on the connections that are causing intermittent connections. Also, cycle the switch a bunch of time to help clean the switch contacts.

Never had this exact problem, but this is the first thing to try with intermittent electrical issues (and its doesn't cost you anything, hardly any time either). Often the electrical gremlins are simple, like a connector issue or built up switch corrosion.
+1 on this—start simple
Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 PM
Ish993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar problem on my 964, the issue was broken joints on the circuit board of the warning light cluster around the clock
In my case replacing the clock solved the issue
Old 11-25-2011, 11:31 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Unhappy Darndest thing...

The Central Information Light just keeps popping up and going off on its own. I have tried what people have suggested and - bupkes. Can't seem to be able to chase this gremlin down. Something is "sending the ground" to the light - and I cannot find what trips it.

So - a bump.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:53 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 60 Posts

+1 on replacing the clock.. (but that was in my 964 as well) maybe unplug the clock and see if you can get CIL to illuminate.. If not, then at least you may have narrowed down the cause..

C<
Old 11-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Is the e-brake switch loose? it might be contacting & turing the light on?
Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Unhappy

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Is the e-brake switch loose? it might be contacting & turing the light on?
Nope. I wish. The biggest issue is that there is no secondary light to go with it.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:03 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

It's zee Germans reading Rennlist and doing a preventive strike against you even thinking of suing them

Seriously now, this could be caused moisture under your passenger seat. Stick your hand in there and feel things. The central informant unit is located there.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Default The darn problem is still there - no matter what...

See the original post. These gremlins are still here, darn it.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:11 PM
hoggel
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Tiptronic?
Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Originally Posted by hoggel
Tiptronic?
No, stick. And, I did everything short of pulling out the clock (I can't find any causal relationships b/n that and the light) and replacing the control unit. I actually bought one to replace, but can't get to the thing - it is packed in so tight underneath the dash...

Quick Reply: Central Information Light ON - ALONE! and intermittent