993 Forum 1995-1998

Fender Liners - Incorrectly Numbered Parts

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 01:27 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Fender Liners - Incorrectly Numbered Parts

I installed new speed nuts and screws while having had the rear fender liners out of my car. I ordered the parts as per the current Porsche parts catalog.

According to the parts that were in place as well as common sense, speed nut (item 5) should really be speed nut (item 10) on the rear fender liners (where the fender halves join) in the Porsche parts diagram. Item 10 is the type of speed nut with a protective metal shield that prevents the end of the screw from making contact with an adjacent part...like your inner fender, especially the screw closest to the wheel opening where there is less clearance between the fender liner and fender.

This also requires the correct combination screw which should be a B 4,2 x 13 sort of like item 7 which is the correct screw, but missing a built-in washer (which is why they call them combination screws, I guess). I found a replacement elsewhere in the parts catalog which I have yet to order to verify if it is correct. PN: 900 143 177 02, combination tapping screw B 4,2 x 13.
Attached Images  
Old 09-12-2014, 05:36 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Alex, four years on, and here is a response!

I just had all my fender liners off for cleaning and have reinstalled them. Upon installation, I happened to notice that some of the combi screws were longer than others, which lead me to your post. Yes, someone at Porsche did not have a head for details the day they did this on the PET!

On my car I have 15 screws per side to hold up the fender liners, so 30 total. Of the 30, 22 are the shorter combi screws, 6 are the longer combi screws, and 2 are even longer regular head screws without a washer. The latter 2 go in the rear-most liner position attaching the leading edge of the bumper cover, to the fender liner, to the speed nut attached to the bumper cover support tube. I used the 6 long combi screws on the rear fender liners, but NOT including the where the two halves join. Per side, I put two of the long ones by the rear jacking points and the third one at the rear upper bumper cover support tube. I could not see why these positions would need longer combi screws, but my long combi screws came off the rear, and I figured in these positions they would do not harm.

Not that any of this is overly exciting, but the last thing anybody wants is to put a screw through their fender by using the longer screws there, with the wrong speed nut.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:23 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 183 Posts

Well, I personally could easily have waited another 4 years before reading this..............zzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-13-2014, 09:31 AM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 911PERVY
Well, I personally could easily have waited another 4 years before reading this..............zzzzzzzzzzzz
No, this is actually useful infromation. I just had my rear fender liners off (doing some exhaust work) and noticed that two of the proper speed nuts were incorrect - you don't want to screw a hole into your fender. If you've got the wrong speed nuts and the screws are also incorrect (too long) you could do some damage to your fender.
Thanks to the OP for pointing out the correct part numbers.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:49 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
If you've got the wrong speed nuts and the screws are also incorrect (too long) you could do some damage to your fender.
A few very unlucky owners already have an outward dimple in their fender due to the incorrect length screw and speed nut being installed.

Some also had the annoying rattle at speed because the speed nut/screw would resonate against the body. I solved that with a couple of strips of closed cell foam placed at those locations on the inner surface of the fender.

Quick Reply: Fender Liners - Incorrectly Numbered Parts