Wiper blade position change

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 01:51 PM
mechanic wanabe
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper blade position change

Hi all,

After reading through the archives and other sites (http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...dshield_wipers) changing the wiper blade position is not and easy DIY modification (compared to "sticking needles in your eyes and working over your hands with a cheese grater"). There are lots of references to an alternate approach by pulling relay 42 which eliminates the wiper intermittent function, but allows the blades to be positioned on the other side of the windscreen. How is this later procedure really done? Is the relay pulled and then the wipers are turned on, allowing the blades to move to the other side and then the position "captured" by turning off the wipers quickly?

The naivety of this question may provide a bit of Sunday entertainment for some!

Thanks
Old 09-05-2010, 04:26 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Exactly as you described. Pull the relay, then flick the wiper stalk to get the wipers where you want them to park. Best done with the windshield wet.

I tried very hard to do the modification, even went to the trouble of removing the hood to get more working room. After I spent most of a day, I took it to my favorite wrench and he had a go at it, still no joy. My hat is off to anyone who has successfully completed this little trip to hell.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:56 PM
michaelh993
Instructor

+1!
Just completed the switch and just as frustrating as described. I have VERY large hands, like catchers mitts, and it was all I could do to get my right hand in far enough to feel the 13mm nut. I had to practically climb into the trunk to even see the damn nut, let alone get to it with a wrench. Spent 4 hours on it yesterday then quit in frustration, then completed it today. Love the look through unobstructed glass and will enjoy it more over the years, long after the bruises and scrapes to my hand heal.
A very well stocked toolbox finally made the difference, with an assortment of 13mm box/open ends and several 1/4" X 13mm sockets with different length ratchets.
Feel like I earned my Miller Time tonight.
Michael
Old 09-05-2010, 07:16 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried and gave up. The only way I'll be doing this is if I pull the gas tank and HVAC unit!
Old 09-05-2010, 08:37 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't give up on the wiper reversal.

Just put away the toolbox and pull relay 42 which eliminates the intermittent wiper function and allows the blades to be parked on the other side of the windscreen.

3 minutes maximum time spent and no broken knuckles
Old 09-05-2010, 08:43 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done this twice now and it is a bear but doable and you don't lose the intermittent function which I like. I used the DIY on pcar.com, took about 3 hours IIRC. (Robin Sun's site)
Old 09-05-2010, 08:51 PM
guardsredcab
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just got a new windshield installed and it came back from the shop with the blades much higher on the windshield - very distracting. I don't necessarily want to reverse them to the other side, but I would like to lower them. I figured it would be a pretty easy job to unscrew a few set screws and move on a spline of some sort, but from reading this, it looks like it could be beyond my pay grade.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First confirm they are parking in the same spot each time before you adjust anything. If they are both just a little high then pivot the plastic cap on the blade that covers the retaining nut and gently pull it off (the cover), loosen the nut a couple of turns, pull the wiper up to the 90 degree position so you have removed tension off the splines, move over 1 spline, tight the nut gently and lower the blade to see if it's where you want, if not, repeat until satisfied. Re-install the cover and your done.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:40 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi There

I thought about this mod, but decided not to for two reasons. We get quite a bit of rain in the UK, and if I changed the wipers to sit on the other side I would be wiping water towards my field of view, not away, and also it would take longer to clear on the first wipe. And the wipers stop the rain running straight up the screen (to some degree).

Berni
Old 09-06-2010, 02:50 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't understand why anyone would do this. There are times when my car gets splashed by other cars driving through puddle of water. The water will cover the windshield completely. I need the wiper to clear the windshield ASAP. The fraction of a second that it takes to travel from the passenger to the driver side does make a difference when you are at driving speed, in the wet, and in full traffic!!!

I would never do this silly, unsafe mod!!!
Old 09-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...decided not to...berni29
I would never do this...axl
Another factor to consider is: how tall is your usual co pilot?

Funny thing, though. My brother is a truck guy, but had a 911 T for many years and drove it thousands of miles all over North America. The first time he drives the 993, he says: "steering wheel is too small, you can't drive with one finger over the lower rim..." and: "what's with these wipers?"

Here is the grizzled one:

Last edited by Rinty; 09-06-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:50 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

i hate the wipers too. it obstructs the view. i'll try pulling the relay and see how that works
Old 09-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

It helps if you adjust the wipers so they will "park" lower on the right side after the relay is removed. It does not take long to become an expert at stopping the wipers at their lowest point. BTW, I rarely drive in the rain.
Old 05-14-2015, 08:29 PM
Coop
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Just did this 'mod'. I can't believe I can actually see the hood after 9 years of ownership! Thank you Rennlist!.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:02 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I pulled my relay about 10 years ago...one of the best things I've done to the car.

Quick Reply: Wiper blade position change