993 Forum 1995-1998

Possible Rothsport Shifter Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:11 PM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Possible Rothsport Shifter Issue

During this past weekend trip to Thomas, WV, Cactus and Andreas were checking out the Rothsport shifter I installed with the Golden Rod. They pointed out that it had some unusual slop from side to side when engaged in gear. They suggested that I post a video to see if anyone could suggest what the issue might be.

This is my first video, so the quality isn't great, but you can see that I start in neutral, engage into first gear, and can see the play from side to side. I then shift into second, and once again, you can see all the play. I'd be interested to know anyones thoughts.

The stock shifter didn't have this play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jel4qSb9_pI
Old 08-12-2010, 09:36 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Very timely. I was planning to get the Rothsport SSK but this needs to be sorted or have a explanation unconnected to the kit before I move forward. The movement whilst in gear is crazy. Almost like a part wasn't reinstalled. What have the guys at FD Motorsport said regarding the problem.
Keep us informed of progress. GL
Old 08-12-2010, 09:59 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andy, that is some serious play when in gear. Something is out of place or loose in the shift mech.

Have you had the tunnel cover off to check it out?
Based on how much movement there is, I think it will be easy to spot the problem.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Andy, That is crazy movement! As Mark has already suggested, I think you should pull the tunnel cover and see what's moving. There is definitely something not right.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:54 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just checked mine. total side to side movement is barely 1.5 cm in any gear. I have the Rothsport shifter and Fister goldenrod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1tLxt_3MiI
Old 08-12-2010, 11:21 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Cute sandals, Jesus Simpson!

Something is definitely wrong under there. When in gear, my lever allows less than 1/8", side-to-side.

Take some pics and let us know what you find when you pull the tunnel cover.

Andreas
Old 08-12-2010, 11:36 PM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

All - I hope to get the car in the air and tunnel cover off tomorrow or Saturday. My wife and I have a number of weekend plans, so I'll have to try to squeeze this in. I've been driving the car for months, zero issues whatsoever, so I'm really curious to find out what the issue is.

TIA!

Andy
Old 08-12-2010, 11:42 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Darrin, you think that thingy isnt flipped? I put mine together wrong about 4 times before I finished. Mostly cuz im dumb as **** sometimes. But partly cuz there are several steps.

Call Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport. He's awesome and a great help.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:54 PM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by P1CR
Darrin, you think that thingy isnt flipped? I put mine together wrong about 4 times before I finished. Mostly cuz im dumb as **** sometimes. But partly cuz there are several steps.

Call Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport. He's awesome and a great help.
When you speak of the thing - do you mean the tube? If so, I'm about 95% certain I flipped it, but I gotta get the car in the air. It's going to be after work tomorrow or Saturday morning.

~A
Old 08-13-2010, 12:25 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good thought but if the tube bushings weren't flipped, the tunnel cover would hit the shift lever...

something else is awry and I can't wait to find out what it is!
Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

It appears the c-clip(s) on the guide tube have popped off and allowed the guide tube to slip out of position. Can you pull up or push down on the shift lever? Is there excessive play vertically?

+1 on Gamroth!!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:17 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

The un-clipped guide tube sounds like a possibility. It's almost as if the lever has an excessive amount of actual 'leverage', thus allowing the vast amount of side-to-side play.

Good luck, Br. Soap.

Andreas
Old 08-13-2010, 09:33 AM
simpsoap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chris walrod
It appears the c-clip(s) on the guide tube have popped off and allowed the guide tube to slip out of position. Can you pull up or push down on the shift lever? Is there excessive play vertically?

+1 on Gamroth!!
No excessive play at all vertically, so I wouldn't suspect that the c-clips have come off the guide tube. I'm going to get the car up in the air when I get home from work, I snap some pics of what I see, and go from there.

I'll also give Gamroth a call today to see what he might think from just the video alone. Thanks for all the help guys......I'm sure its some stupid mistake on my end.

Andy
Old 08-13-2010, 10:49 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

With no vertical play, it looks like the rod is rotating. Lock nuts?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Michaelc
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I experienced the same unusual slop when I installed my FDM Golden Rod/Short shift kit. I purchased the FDM kit to tighten up my shifter/linkage, etc... as my 95 cab now has 95k on the clock and the shifter was clunky, notchy, etc... After buying the kit I put the car up on stands and began my Golden Rod/Short Shift mod. Much to my surprise after removing the trans tunnel I found a B&M short shifter installed and being held on to the forward rod only by the rubber boot around the shifter, rod, linkage, and so on. I removed the B&M shifter, it is a nice piece, very stout, but mine was loose becuase the previous owner did not remove the bushings, clips, washers, etc... from the original shifter and install the on the B&M as needed. This is why my shifter was loose and imprecise, that and the fact the dust boot was holding the whole thing together. i installed the FDM setup, but without the bushings, washers, clips, and so on becuase I didn't have them and it was actually worse than when I started. Beyond that, my guide tube bushings were falling apart as well.

FDM to the rescue. I traded many emails with Mark at FDM and it took awhile because some of these small pieces came from Germany, but he got me all the rubber pieces, clips, bushings, washers, guide tube bushings and so on I needed to rebuild the sifter properly. I'm happy to say I finished the job this morning with the parts FDM supplied. I thought it felt good on the stands and it was obvious all the slop was out of the shifter, but I was amazed at how the gear shift, trans linkage, and shifting action was transformed when I drove the car for the first time. I'm certain it feels better than when it was new. Hats off to FDM for such wonderfull pieces for our cars.

I post this because having read the problems with the slop I'm not sure what pieces were transferred to the Rothsport sifter, but like mine, if the small stuff wasn't transferred or simply wasn't available to be transferred you will have a tremendous amount of slop in the shifter. All those little rubber washers, bushinges, washers, clip, etc... are what make the whole thing tight. Best of luck in diagnosing the cause of the slop. Call Mark or Darin at FDM and they will set you up with what you need to tighten the shifter up.

Quick Reply: Possible Rothsport Shifter Issue