96 radio wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts
Default 96 radio wiring diagram

Gentlemen and Ladies:

I'm removing the 6 year old pioneer headunit in my 96, and replacing it with this snazzy Kenwood product.

There is a little harness in there, but I want to make sure that the wiring is all correct.

Could anyone provide me with a wiring diagram or a color coded chart, just so I know whats what.

It seems I have a few wires not used right now, and I'd like to make sure I get it correct.

The car has HI-FI, but doesn't not have the equalizer.

Thank you for your assistance.

Cheers.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:29 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

somebody help me out here.

I don't want to light the car on fire.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:38 AM
michaelh993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I don't have a wiring diagram, but I did just recently install that very same Kenwood HU. You will love it, works so much better than stock. I also had the "hi fi" option (joke), and most of the original wires were not used.
Are you keeping the original amp and speakers?
What specifics do you need?
Michael
Old 06-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Michael, if you can recall specifically what wires weren't used, that would be a great start.

I'm going to reuse the stock speakers. I don't believe the car still has the stock amp.

Thanks.

Sounds like your happy with the HU?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:49 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Link to what you are looking for?: http://pcarworkshop.com/images/5/52/...iSchematic.jpg

Amp is under passenger seat.

Good Luck with the new tunes!
Old 06-12-2010, 10:15 AM
michaelh993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I love the new HU, as it is not flashy, and there are so many (almost too many) ways to customize the display and the sound options.
I'll dig up my notes today if that will help.
My C4S had the "hi-fi" option and the equalizer. Also, my install will be different, as I removed and replaced the amp, front speakers, and removed the hi-fi speaker boxes as well.
Do you have the original Nokia amp under the passenger seat, and are you going to keep it? An important question as the original HU would receive the signals, then send them in a wire bundle to the amp, then the amp sends the sound signals out to the different speakers. In this scenario, no speakers are run directly from the HU, simplifying the speaker wiring significantly. Rear speaker wires are run directly to the rear and fronts to the front in a bundle wrapped in black cloth electrical tape. If this is the case, then most of the wires from the new HU will NOT be needed and can just be taped off.
In my case, none of the old wiring harnesses behind the old HU were needed; three bundles as I recall, and I just carefully taped them up out of the way.
What you WILL need for sure:
Aerial wire (black co-axial cable with a small white wire wrapped around it
Switched power
Signal wire to amp (assuming you still have original under seat)
Blue/white wire from HU to amp (turn on and off amp)

Easy to run any new wires from HU location under dash, along the left side of the passenger footwell to the amp location. Gently pull up the rubber mat under the carpet and there is a "channel" that runs along side of the transmission tunnel where you can run the wires.
More specific questions?
I'm no expert at this, but its not rocket science either. The only potential for frying something would come from the power wire, and this you will check and confirm with a volt meter or test light. All will depend on what the PO did or did not do and if you are using the amp and if the amp wiring was not messed up. Was your system working before you removed the old HU? If so, should be a piece of cake.
regards, MIchael
Old 06-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

After deciphering some hack wiring on the previous install of my old pioneer, I was able to get it working.

looks 100% better and sounds nice.

Cheers Gents.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

hmm, while the unit sounds nice, it is very quiet.

The volume seems to go up to 35, and I had it at 29 without it being very loud at all.
I'm wondering why this may be the case.

any thoughts?

Quick Reply: 96 radio wiring diagram