993 Forum 1995-1998

my version of the $250 aftermarket stereo install/upgrade DIY

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 PM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default my version of the $250 aftermarket stereo install/upgrade DIY

This is for the HIFI option folks with a CR-210. not all the write-ups are the same based on equipment so just some pointers/things I learned for future generations. this is not a total install but just some things to think about

I upgraded to the kenwood excelon kdc-x993 ($200) for the bluetooth and direct ipod integration. I installed a 2 component Kenwood with a tweeter and 5 1/2" woofer ($50 used off of an RL'er otherwise I was set to us the Boston Acoustic components on line for $100) to be driven directly from the stereo (cutting out the factory Nokia amp)

Removal of CR-210: get the tools. I did this late at night fiddling with it for 1.5 hrs since no place was open to get tools. I fashioned tools by cutting an old credit card to shape based on the specs I found on-line. It worked....Ill post pics of the mechanism but save yourself the aggrivation.

Harness: I ordered from Crutchfield thinking the tech support and the free radio wiring harness adapter would be good to have....neither was a benefit. With the hifi option there is basically only 1 of maybe 4 connectors that can be reused....the one for just the power/ground. In fact, the connector takes up so much valuable space behind the dash in retrospect I would skip the Crutchfield connector altogether and save the 15 mins it took me to push the stereo back into place. the best advise from them I got was that the Yellow and RED leads are opposite for constant and ignition power when connecting to the Kenwood.

Wiring: I ran the speaker leads from the stereo to under the passenger seat where the amp is located so I could cut out the amp and reuse the speaker wires to the door and rear. The Porsche wires are suprisingly good wires and no need to rerun them for my budget install. I easily identified which wires to use by just the color/stripe matching to the wiring in the doors. These were the only wires I had to run. I simply removed the amp altogether and cut the speaker wires off the amp connector to use.

Running wires: I actually ran all 4 speaker leads under the center console(About 8 screws to remove and I had to remove the shifter **** and the targa roof/rear wing control switch panel with about 6/8 plugs on the back). Theres a convenient access hole in the dash to the left of the radio down to the rear of the center console and some run-through holes to use for wire passthrough. I then ran them under the center console to about the hand brake ares and then down along and under the carpet seem thats right in the middle of the passenger seat location to under the passenger seat(a little messy, I took a large scredriver and pried the carpet forward while I ran the wires through. when I pulled out the scredriver it was coverd in carpet glue but it all glued right back together hiding the wires). It is completely hidden and I did not have to run wires under the passenger footwell.

Locating the crossover: The hifi option has a tweeter on the top of the door and a large black plastic speaker chamber that houses a sub and midrange speaker, I decided to reuse all the existing speaker locations and the plastic chamber box. now that I had my speaker leads coming from under the seat to the doors I chose to install the crossover inside the hifi black plastic speaker chamber in the doors and reuse that chamber for my speakers. the carpet door panel(6-8 screws) is removed to expose the black speaker chamber. i also removed the chamber completely(4 screws) to work on it and get at the speaker wires, i removed all connectors. You could probably double stick tape the Kenwood crossover in there but i laid the crossover on top and drilled 2 holes through the outside rear of the speaker chamber that matched up to the installation holes in the crossover, put the crossover inside and just matched up the screw holes. It was a little blind/feeling around but really only took 5 mins.

Front Speaker tweeter: There are green speaker leads going up to the tweeter from behind the black speaker chamber behind the door panel, I reused those and connected them to the crossover. My Kenwood tweeter is a 3/4" so when I removed it from the factory Kewood housing and removed the factor Nokia tweeter from its exterior housing(that oblong black housing on top of the door panel) the Kenwood tweeter fit inside nicely.....no cutting the door, reused the housing by just cutting a bit of the plastic tab/rib pieces out of the inside. Note: the tweeter wants to lay flush to the door but you'll notice the ideal installation has the tweeter angled towards the driver and flush to the 'grill' of the tweeter housing. to accomplish the right angle and create a tight fit i simply cut a small rubber ball in 1/2 and rested the side of the tweeter against it forcing it to angle. Took some force to get the cover back on but its nice and tight and the proper angle installed......again, no cutting of the speaker just trimmed some inside ribs out of the factor tweeter housing

Front Speaker Mids/Woofer. Luckily this fit perfectly in the housing of the black plastic chamber, I removed the small factory mid altogher and left the hole empty and just installed the 5 1/2" Kenwood woofer in the woofer hole. SInce the crossover is actually installed in the chamber the wires are right there.

Note: at some point I may upgrade to an amp and a 3 component speaker system for the fronts but the 2 component system really sounds good and miles ahead of the factory

ipod and Bluetooth speaker: my last install that may be 'unique'. I ran the USB Ipod connector AND the microphone to the glove compartment. The Kenwood has all the ipod controls you need so theres no need to have hands on access to the ipod. In order to get the wires in there I simply removed the glove box light which exposes a precut hole and threaded everything through there. The reality is theres nothing in the glovebox I need a light for since it barely holds my manuals and registration. I was thinking of using the ashtray from the ipod but I couldnt find a way to run the wires into the ahtray without cutting. It ends up that i dont need access to my ipod anyway so the ashtray remains as my mobile phone holder.

this is a budget install with huge sounds improvement and no permanent damage to the car. The only cutting I did was to the speaker/amp wire connectors themselves and some ribs inside the tweeter housing. Thanks to all those various DIYs I was able to use including removing the outer carpet door cover, amp locations, etc.

total: about 4 hrs. add another $25 if you dont have good speaker wires and wire connectors needed

Thanks

Last edited by friar93; 05-19-2010 at 03:26 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:26 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

If I was any smarter, I'd give you my black Hi-Fi enclosures that were pre-cut for crossovers. Or at least show them to you for ideas. Sorry, it did not occur to me in time.

The tweets went into the angled housings by removing their native surround? That's good - stealthy and no cutting up the door.

All in all, good job!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:43 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pics?

Quick Reply: my version of the $250 aftermarket stereo install/upgrade DIY