Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

German Auto Tops

Old 04-28-2010, 11:43 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default German Auto Tops

Doing this a little backwards I realize, but want to be able to cut losses if need be.

I did a little research on the top I bought from e-bay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT ) and buyers from the seller seemed to be satisfied with the product they got. That said, has anyone here had a top from German Auto Tops installed on their cab? The installer I am talking to is a little nervous since he isn't familiar with them (primarily uses GAHH tops). I don't want to get this half installed, have it not work out, and need to start over with a new top, in effect buying two tops. (yes, maybe a little bit of buyer's remorse going on...)

Any good, bad or indifferent on them?

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2010, 11:50 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I've mentioned that about my previous GAHH top before - the zipper for wind deflector is installed in teh wrong direction. The supply a new flap piece for the wind deflector that aligns properly to their zipper, but we have not figured out any elegant way to replace that piece on the wind deflector (ended up cutting and re-sawing). Also GAHH rear window was a bit distorting near the top edge.

I think the installers are just working with what they know and what gives them good profit. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:40 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Mike. I didn't get a new headliner as mine seems to be in pretty good shape. Looking at the top it seems to be pretty good, but it is hard to tell very much from just looking at it. The shop is concerned because they have been burned in the past with people bringing in wrong tops. He wasn't trying to sell a new one, but just didn't want to be liable if this one doesn't fit. Sounds like the plan should be to go with the one I have then.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Brian, every shop I've spoken to locally either flatly refused to install the top I would bring in or wanted about 50% more for installation. That without even asking which top I would get, GAHH or something else.

I think it's just your typical "Not invented here" thing. To a large degree I understand them, they can quickly get a replacement from their distributor if something is wrong with the top they get themselves. Whereas they don;t know your top's quality and don't want to get into an argument with the customer as to whether it's a bad top or bad install if anything goes wrong. Plus, of course, they make about 25-30% on the price of the top when they buy and resell to you, possibly more. GAHH, if I'm not mistaken, is about $750 retail without headliner.

So if your guy is just "a little nervous", you're far ahead of me in the game And, yes, I wish we all were in Cali, where a replacement top is $1K parts and labor from good reputable shops (I paid $1,660 for mine 4 years ago and it was just OK).
Old 04-28-2010, 03:51 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nile13
... Whereas they don;t know your top's quality and don't want to get into an rgument with the customer as to whether it's a bad top or bad install if anything goes wrong...
This is the exact conversation I have had on the phone with them. He is willing to discuss the installation, so I guess that isn't too bad.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:37 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

So I got my car back today from Riggs Brothers http://riggsbros.com/ and feel quite comfortable recommending them. The cost of the install was $1000, and the work looks great. They are straightforward and professional. There was a strap that had to be replaced, so that delayed the job a couple of days, but wasn't a problem. I also had them repair a tear in the rear seatback, and to my eyes it looks like there was never a problem.

If in the Chicago area and need work done, look them up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: German Auto Tops