Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Great looking car. I really like the way you've tied together the accent color on the lower bumper grilles, brake air ducts and wheel centers it all works really well.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:10 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Nice.... subtle, wise choices…
Old 03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by delanobe
I see you are slowly copying my car

Car is looking better and better
I was thinking, wow, nice 993, and it looks so much like delanobe's.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pm sent
Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nicely written up, great review.

Now you just need to move the steering over to the correct side of the car.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Its nice to have some friendly feedback after a long journey. My biggest compaint is the pictures which dont seem to accurately epresent the colours and hues of the car, interior and wheels. I think some pictures in a well lite garage will be next so no shadows are cast...

The silver rings are my second go at this and you are indeed correct they are much lower profile than others I had seen and look almost factory stock. They have a classic brushed finish. I like them very much. If I recall I ordered these ones from cupsport.de in germany....

Delanobe. It is true your car provided some inspiration for my project but incidently it was primarily the script on the rear flanks that I stole. I had a designer friend created the word "anniversary" for me in the factory carrera style font and then I had die cut as vinyl. Its only a temporary adornment for the 10th year of owning the car but in honesty its a brilliant idea for a place to put script and works well as a location thank you. The silver highlights were originally intended to be gold and my inspiration for this a few years ago was a trip to the factory museum and a re acquaintance for the speedster concept porsche released the same era my car was leaving the factory. Ive attached images. This porsche used bespoke speedline wheels and used gold as the offset colour. I was too going to use the same gold but failed to get any detail from teh factory on the exact colour they had used. Then I saw Delanobes car on Rennlist two years or so ago and thought viola! Better than photoshop here is a car similar to mine I can study in photographs. I have the darker midnight blue so I chose a deeper grey/silver as I didnt want the contrasts to be too extreme. I looked at the original C2S special addition for an idea. The turbo bumper I have had for years as a new part but not had the motivation to fit until this project - again another idea picked up from members of this board that have done a similar conversion. To be absolutely honest I am not 100% sure I will keep this as I believe it waters down some of the purity of the lines of the narrow body C2 and the scrip line on the bumper no longer works in with the side scribe and rear scribe in the bumper (different height as it was meant to key in visually with the **** line at the bottom of the doors where the wider body and turbo cars had a sill extension meeting the body work).

In terms of what I would recommend on a short list for slope sliders and what if I could I would probably not bother with again here is my thoughts:

Top 12 Improvements (value for money):

HID headlight conversion ($200 and some of your own time) - Huge improvement in safety and night time vision - also brings the running look at night up to date with later exotic machinery.
Gerts Front Protection Bar ($200 and 20 mnutes of your time) - Piece of mind!
Door window auto activation ($150 and a fair amount of mucking around and tech work). Why didnt it have this in the first place!
FD Motorsport RSSK with golden rod ($200 and 2-3 hours tech labour). I had mine shortened to match the stock shifter height. Its a revelation in how the car shifts!
Warm white LEDs (multidirectional) for instrument cluster and CCU - $50 and a few hours labour - brings the interior up to dateand makes the instruments a breeze to read.
Bilstein HD shocks with extra thread and Mo30 springs - If you suspension needs doing and you drive on the street this combo for around $1500 plus install cant be beaten for reliability, price and praticality.
Walord A arm bushes - $150 plus a fair bit of labour - cheaper than replacement contol arms by a mile and if you car is knocking on 15 years old something well worth considering!
Motorsound air box - its cheap maybe $100. Improve the sound.
RSR or Fister back boxes - $500 plus a little labour - maybe 2 hours max. Makes a huge difference to your aural enjoyment of tehe car and finally makes the car sound like a real old school 911!
RS LWFC - Only if you need a new clutch does this make economic sense. If you have a Varioram car then even more of a no brainer. Makes a huge difference to the feel of the car - more raw and racey and quicker spool up.
Red brake caliper repaint - its relatively cheap and just adds something to the car visually which I find really pleasing - a nice contrast and a great way to tidy up your old peeling calipers while you are at it!
Alloy cup holder seat rail mounted - $90 and 5 minutes. Every modern car needs one of these! Supurb!

Top 5 Improvements I would do if budget isnt an issue:

Motorsound exhaust tips - $700 and 30 mins labour. Just gorgeous and help in trumpeting that glorious sound.
Upgraded Speedline style wheels - Gorgeous but not necessary. Upgrading wheels to 18" is a personal thing. My Sport Designs looked awesome too. Unfortunately with larger wheels comes often more weight and handling deficeits. To be perfectly honest the original cup 17s are proabably the best wheels for the car....but some of us cant help ourselves!
Three spoke wheel (in carbon?) - Expensive upgrade with no real benefit other than tactile benefit. With Carbon becomes even more expensive and frankly a total luxury! But its so nice to touch....
Rear rigid shim kit for suspension (solid Mounts) - $1400 exercise when labour is considered. Alot of money but frankly transforms the rear end handling for agressive driving - now you can drive the car right to the limit and even drift it without fear its not telling you what its about to do!
Carbon Fiber Interior Parts - These can amount to thousands. I just love the lok and feel - makes the car seem very special place to sit - However not a mus have. If you buy use Marcus in Germany and you could probably snage the nice bits such as centre consoles, instrument binacle, door inserts and sill plates for less than $2k with shipping. Easy to install.

Things I wouldnt bother to do again (not worth the money or trouble):

Front turbo bumper conversion - $2000 plus incl new hardware. Only cosmetic and a questionable upgrade. Im not sure ye if I like it or not (I kept my old one just incase!).
Techart Brake Duct Kit - $900 plus fitting (in my case too a hige amount of labour). To be honest this is way over the top. If it were plug and play then fine. It needs modifying, painting etc etc etc. A nightmare to install and costly. Benefits are real fog lights (upgraded mime to HID and LED for extra $150). Way over the top in my mind - Stick with the turbo S arrangement (which I had on before these).
Sport Seats with colour coded backs - Again hugely expensive upgrade with no upside other than eye candy (and in my case heater elements). Heavy and by teh time you are done buying these on ebay and painting them youll be up to $3k plus! Stick with OEM they are great or otherwise try lighter options....
RS OEM Sway Bar adjustable kit with drop links - $700+. Probably only need them if you are going very low. Ive adjusted mine twice in 6 years. frankly too much "tech" for a road warrior with 2-3 DEs a year. Stand turbo/Mo30 bars 1/4 price and just fine....

Hope thats informative....

Cheers
M

Last edited by Macca; 03-01-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:41 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

boxster concept inspiration - Notice deviating front bumper brake duct inserts, wheel centres and rear guard brack duct as well as front bumper underside vent and script on side of car......my original intentions to replicate with gold on midnight blue and have plaque hand made and applied by double sided plate....may still this (15 year anniversary?)....
Attached Images      
Old 03-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Bill.

Moving the steering wheel was an extra cost option making the car fare rarer LOL! Notice I had side repeaters put on the front guards by factory t same time :-)
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM
PorscheDude1
On the Radar
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice! Love everything about it.
And yes, I'm a CF junkie myself. They just don't have these cool parts for the 951:-(
Old 03-01-2010, 05:34 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car looks great andf thanks for the reviews.

Only things that stuck out to me:

- Are you sure those are motorsound tips? I thought motorsound package tips were rectangular. Are there two types of big ovals?

- I think several would disagree about the RS bars. Apparently they are the best game in town if you want to have adjustable bars on anything but an all out racecar.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Very nice! Well done.

I love everything except the "anniversary" script/stickers on the rear sides and I think the "S" front air ducts would look better painted the body color.

Again, very nice.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 PM
fivelitre
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Very nice! Well done.

I love everything except the "anniversary" script/stickers on the rear sides and I think the "S" front air ducts would look better painted the body color.

Again, very nice.
My thoughts too but hey... different strokes for different folks.

Stunning car and great write-up. Just love how these cars get under your skin.

C.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:09 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Brilliant mate!!!!! I'm curious, are you going to add a turbo tail? or any kind of tail?
Old 03-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Again,

Bart - Im pretty sure the big ovals I have are classified as part of the mortorsound package from factory. The retangular ones you mention were a 1996/7 update on the standard car.

The RS adjustable bar is excellent - however its not so easy to get under there and change the settings in a jiffy and you need to know what changing the bar will do to the handling. In short you need to be a keen track guy or lowering your car RS or less to really benefit and for the cost of the factory bars with Drop Links (I think I said $700 but that excludes links and you are probably talking 1000 usd now for teh set) I think there are many other things a fast road or daily driver 993 owner could spend the money on....

Its not my intention to ad a tail. Im not a big tail fan as I love the classic 911 look. However your comment brings me to something thats on my mind. Im not sure the turbo bumper works so well without a wind or side skirts. As I dont want either Im fence sitting at the moment. Ill run the car in current config for 12 months and then decide if I should go back to standard front bumper as I think the lines may work better. If I do ill keep the turbo inner liners (will need a small trim) as all the tehart plumbing has been done. Ill keep the techart kit as Ive already paid for the hard work to be done.

Regards the colour of the techart brake ducts - its not something I had previously thought of. Body colour could also look good. I would consider the change when/if I revert to the standard bumper as commentary above. It would be easy to photoshop before hand to see how it will look I guess.

Regards the "anniversary" script. Im 50:50 on that one, however as stated its really only a temporary addition as I see it to reflect the 10th year ownership. Ill likely remove it (2 minutes job as its not clear coated over), in the future.

Thanks for the feedback and views. Its interesting to hear peoples opinions as it challenges my concept and gives me some good ideas to think about. The great thing about knowing you will own acar like this for a very long time (life?) is that you have lot of time to tune and refine your optics/cosmetics and other enhancements. The car has constantly evolved however I fond a sweet spot 5 years back and have kept it that way for a long time. This recent metamorphisis isnt yet complete and will likely take another year for me to work through before I settle on a final balance that will stay on the car for some time to come. Om very happy with the interior and see no work to be done there. The mechaical spec is almost where Id like it to be but will improve further as funds allow. The exterior is still a work in progress although the key ingrediants are in place and its probably more a matter of selective deletion than any radical additions. Interestingly I have kept all parts since the car left the factory (including seats, bumpers, wheels, sway bars etc) so ultimately it could be retuned to factory look one day should someone (not me) wish it to be.....

Cheers
M
Old 03-01-2010, 08:17 PM
michaelh993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful and thanks for the thoughtful play-by-play.
Source for the aluminum switch covers?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self Gratification with Pictures - Outlaw 993 - Updated with Dec 2010 Mods!