Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Snow pics from the Blizzard of 2010. East coasters - got snow pics yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts
Default Snow pics from the Blizzard of 2010. East coasters - got snow pics yet?

Looks like this one > https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-pics-yet.html

Spent last weekend in the office, had to sleep on office floor as it snowed 6 - 9 inches. This past Tuesday evening, 6 inches. Tomorrow into Saturday, 2 feet predicted. Next Tuesday, more snow. Like $&$& aircraft waiting to land.

Waiting on Spring...
Old 02-04-2010, 09:35 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Snow timetable for SE Penna is Friday afternoon. Forecasting 8-12.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Well it's almost a repeat of the Valentines Day/President's Day storm we got up there about 6 or 7 yrs ago. 23" in Newark, DE. We lived off a road that neither the city or the county would plow, they both said the other was responsible for it! What a mess!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

I think it'll be nothing special in New York
Old 02-04-2010, 11:13 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

At least folks up there have a little common sense about snow...Down here, at the fall of the first flake the frickin' TV weather talking heads start predicting a blizzard and then everyone in the viewership pee's their pants and runs out to the local Wally World and buys bread and milk (Bread and milk? WTF??? )

Last week one town (One damn town!) in Georgia got snow and every TV station in Atlanta ran a contniuous video loop of a frickin' snowman in that town. In the course of about 6 hours, we saw the same snowman on three different Atlanta stations....

Of course, this is the same state where, during a drought, the dumbass governor led a prayer vigil praying for rain...Yep, you guessed it...We've had more damn precipitation in the last four months than we'll need in the next four years.

Oh yeah, this is the same dumbass that, during a budget crisis where the state was broke, managed to get $27 million allocated for a state-wide bass fishing program.

Sorry...I just realized I hijacked your thread...Here, you can have it back now.

So it goes...

T
Old 02-04-2010, 11:16 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For NYC, not till Friday nite, but thru Saturday...

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ny/new...Chg=1&metric=0

Friday Night, Feb 5
Low: 26 °F RealFeel®: 5 °F
Snow much of the time, accumulating 1-3 inches; windy late

Saturday, Feb 6
High: 29 °F RealFeel®: 11 °F
Snow, accumulating an additional 1-3 inches; windy, colder with blowing and drifting snow
Old 02-05-2010, 12:02 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by canysmc
http://www.accuweather.com/us/ny/new...Chg=1&metric=0

Friday Night, Feb 5
Low: 26 °F RealFeel®: 5 °F
Snow much of the time, accumulating 1-3 inches; windy late

Saturday, Feb 6
High: 29 °F RealFeel®: 11 °F
Snow, accumulating an additional 1-3 inches; windy, colder with blowing and drifting snow
To come...

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for the Washington area from 10 a.m. Friday to 10 p.m. Saturday. Accumulations of 16 to 24 inches of snow are expected.
"Once the snow starts, it's going to keep going and get progressively heavier," says Channel 7 Chief Meteorologist Doug Hill.

The snow is expected to start between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Friday. The worst of it will arrive late Friday night into early Saturday morning with 30 mile-per-hour winds.

"That's borderline on what they might consider a blizzard warning in some areas," ABC7 Meteorologist Chris Naille says.

Naille says the difference between this potential storm and the historic snow storm in December is quality, not quantity.

"This will be more of a wet, heavier snow because temperatures will be hovering around freezing in most locations."

The federal government will be open with unscheduled leave on Friday. Fairfax County Public Schools, Loudoun County Public Schools, Alexandria City Public Schools and Stafford County Public Schools will be closed on Friday. Click here for more closings and delays.

A snow emergency in the District of Columbia will start at 9:30 a.m. Friday morning. Schools in D.C. will dismiss students at noon, and all evening activities have been canceled.

Gov. Bob McDonnell has declared a state of emergency in advance of the storm. McDonnell said road crews and the Virginia National Guard are prepared to respond, and urged residents to do the same.

Arlington County issued an advisory to residents telling them to be prepared to shelter in place for three to five days. In Frederick, Mayor Randy McClement has declared a snow emergency at 8 p.m. Friday.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

2/17/03, wound up w/ 23" when all was said & done.

That's my 110 lb German Shepherd Thor (RIP) sitting in the driveway.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is from the front door of my daughter and son-in-law's place in Falls Church, Va on Wed.

She told me last night they may get another 3' this weekend!
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2010, 07:59 AM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bread and Milk!

Originally Posted by TMc993
At least folks up there have a little common sense about snow...Down here, at the fall of the first flake the frickin' TV weather talking heads start predicting a blizzard and then everyone in the viewership pee's their pants and runs out to the local Wally World and buys bread and milk (Bread and milk? WTF??? )

T
I remember during the blizzard of '96, I lived across the street from a large grocery store. We hung out in there for a couple hours around midnight - 2 am just to watch the idiots pile their carts high. The bread and milk aisles were completely bare. Withing a day and a half, all the roads were clear. What makes normal people buy 2-3 gallons of milk at the drop of a snow flake?
Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm unfortunately here at work this AM. I drive a vanpool, and couldn't convince my riders to just take leave, especially since they're letting the Fed close 4 hours early (we're all Feds). At least we all agreed to depart at 11AM, so hopefully venture home before the worst of the snow & traffic. Fortunately, I knew my ridership was going to be light (at most 7 of my 12 riders), so I brought my 4WD Suburban. The 6 of us will get home one way or another.

I recall the monster back in Feb 2003(?). I was with our Boy Scouts skiing at Greenbrier in WV when it hit. Over 36"!! Road were closed for 2 days. We ended up staying an extra day. But the first day, few of the resort staff could make it in. Several youthgroups (Boy Scouts, church, etc) were there, and we all divied up the chores. Our Troop took care of clearing paths at ticket windows and the chair lifts. A church group took over the kitchen and cooked all the meals that day. It was a great experience, especially for our Scouts.

Fridge is now stocked. Gas tanks & cans are all full. Lots of videos on hand in case cable goes out. TP well stocked. We're ready!

Last edited by aj986s; 02-05-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:40 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

I'm in the office too, drove wifeys lifted LC, so I should be fine.

Hope the power doesn't go as they're call for blizzard like conditions tonight.

``````````````

Snow Could Set Records

So far this season, the area has logged 27.3 inches of snow.

"We're only 18.7 inches away from being the snowiest winter in 100 years, and we could do that in the next two days," van de Graaff says.

The region is 27.1 inches away from being the snowiest ever. Back in 1898-99, the area had 54.4 inches of snow.

Another storm is coming Tuesday, but van de Graaff says it won't bring with it as much snow.

Last edited by TRINITONY; 02-05-2010 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

yawn...just getting up from a nap. Looking out the window it is so pretty....now to find me a drink and go light a fire.

woo hoo, no shovelling this go around..

Last edited by TRINITONY; 02-05-2010 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

24" . . . bring it on! I'd be happy with 36" of snow. 4WD, locking diff and a penchant for going sideways.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:01 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6pm.. sitting in the office (downtown DC) .. and the roads are only wet. Some sticking to the sidewalks..

Quick Reply: Snow pics from the Blizzard of 2010. East coasters - got snow pics yet?