993 Forum 1995-1998

rear deck mat ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:18 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default rear deck mat ?

I have a 'carpeted' (don't know how else to explain it) front dash mat that I lay on top of the dash when the car is outside. I cover the car when at work in the summer, but when the sun isn't so strong, I still lay the dash mat on top of the dash if the car's going to sit outside for any amount of time. It's not velcroed to the dash, it's just my **** 'keep sun off vinyl whenever possible' orientation.
(front mat photo at https://rennlist.com/forums/attachme...s-img_1960.jpg)
Does anyone know of a rear deck mat that would serve the same purpose ? I have the HiFi option speaker grilles that would serve to somewhat anchor the middle of a mat, and the mat could stay in place without velcro if the windows are up, and keep the sun off the back deck when the car's not covered.
I'm really good about frequently putting 303 on the vinyl, but if anyone knows of a rear deck mat I would be interested.
Failing finding one that is sold, I've thought about doing some measuring and trying to make a template out of construction paper, and then going to an upholsterer with my dash mat fabric as a sample, and having one made, with the inner edges around the speaker grilles bound, and the outer edges bound. Hell, if I went to that much trouble the mat could have a front that comes down to the front edge of the black where it meets the cashmere vinyl behind my back seats.....

thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

You can buy oem sliverknit carpet in any of the factory colors. Cut and bind like the factory did for RS. You might want to contour the sides a little different if you retain the stock rear side pieces. There several good places to purchase, RL sponsor '928 Shop' is one

here's what the RS one looks like
Old 01-14-2010, 11:34 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Default Thanks!

Thanks Bill,
I've sent them an email (928 shop) about what I want to do. It seems that a piece cut a bit larger than the top piece from their 'Rear Shelf Cover Kit for Porsche 911 Automobiles and 930 Automobiles' would do the trick. I could cut/bind the speaker holes and adjust the sides/back fairly easily with shears and then have edges bound.

I appreciate your help.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:20 PM
titleist1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another possible solution: use one of the reflector pieces that go in front window, keeps front area cool and protected, i used this in Arizona and worked well, for rear i went to tinted glass.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Or tint the windows.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:32 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

For a second there when I first saw this post I read "Red Neck Mat"
Old 01-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
For a second there when I first saw this post I read "Red Neck Mat"
Me too and no offense but I kinda think that's what these dash carpets are...
Old 01-14-2010, 01:39 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

I just cannot bring myself to tint the windows in this car. I have not seen a tint color (most of my experience is with the FormulaOne brand in my other cars current or past) that would look good with the midnight blue...
Old 01-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

I agree with you. I have tint on my Ford & Jag but haven't tinted the 993's windows. With G. Red it would look good but somehow I think it would look too "pimp" or something...
Old 01-15-2010, 09:29 AM
SMehder
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you thought about getting a sunshade, that would fit in the front window and cutting it to fit on the shelf in the rear? You can put a border around the edges, after the cut. It would be easier to put in, easier to remove, and more important, would reflect the heat. Your mat actually absorbs the heat, and makes the interior hotter.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:39 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with SMehder. A sunshade would be better because it helps reflect heat out of the car and protects more than just the dash.

Quick Reply: rear deck mat ?