Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Transmission Mount Replacement

Old 11-02-2009, 10:37 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Transmission Mount Replacement

I have been searching Rennlist and Google for pictures or a good description of what it takes to swap out the transmission mounts. I am making motor mounts right now (I will post pics tomorrow) and may want to do the tranny mounts soon since I have heard that they also tend to fail.
Please point me in the right direction, or tell me how involved the swap is. My main reason for the new motor mounts is to hopefully improve the shift feel (plus I am pretty sure the stock mounts are dead, I can fit my finger between the rubber and the steel cup).
Thank You!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 11:03 PM
shu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Making motor mount?! wow.....
Old 11-02-2009, 11:53 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 228 Posts

It's tough to beat factory RS or WEVO mounts for sheer simplicity. What is your solution?

Andreas
Old 11-03-2009, 12:59 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chaoscreature
I have been searching Rennlist and Google for pictures or a good description of what it takes to swap out the transmission mounts. I am making motor mounts right now (I will post pics tomorrow) and may want to do the tranny mounts soon since I have heard that they also tend to fail.
Please point me in the right direction, or tell me how involved the swap is. My main reason for the new motor mounts is to hopefully improve the shift feel (plus I am pretty sure the stock mounts are dead, I can fit my finger between the rubber and the steel cup).
Thank You!!!
Here's a DIY where they remove the transmission for LWF / clutch install, that should give you a fair idea of what's involved. https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...p-and-lwf.html I just dropped my transmission but I brought the engine with it.

And the PET for the transmisison mount / carrier is here (you'd be looking at the bottom for RWD and the top for AWD)

Originally Posted by AOW162435
It's tough to beat factory RS or WEVO mounts for sheer simplicity. What is your solution?

Andreas
Those full metal ones that just sold up in Canada look pretty simple But I too am interested in the solution.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:51 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Nollie,
Thank you for the diagram and the link. I had read that article earlier when I searched Rennlist. Unfortunately they went straight to disassembling everything and I want to find out if its possible to replace the transmission snout mount without tearing the whole car apart.
One of the techs at Black Forest said it might be possible to slip the mount out without removing the transmission. Has anyone done this? If not I will just leave it alone for now.
The engine mounts are being done due to budget issues, not because I think I can make something better than either the WEVO's or the Porsche RS mounts. I will post pics tonight after I pick up my Energy Suspension bushings for them.
Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Archilla
Rennlist Member

From what I can tell in the photos from the DIY link, they never separated the carrier from the transmission, they just unbolted the carrier from the car and removed it with the trans. The real answer that is needed to determine whether the transmission mount can be replaced without removing the trans from the car is if the mount (23 in the diagram above) is a slip fit or if it is pressed into the transmission case. I've thought of replacing the mount as well, but have not done it yet because I'm not sure if it can be done in the car. Let me know if you figure this out.
-Ruben
Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts

Thank You!!!
RS trans mount

normal is similar but softer

Trending Topics

Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

So, if you drop the cross member, is there enough room to wiggle the mount out without dropping the rest of the engine/trans? It looks like there should be. If it seems plausible to do the trans mount swap in an afternoon then I will probably try that next weekend.
Here are the mounts that I made. They still need the polyurethane inserts, but they are pretty much done (I get them tomorrow). I am going to bake the mounts tomorrow to reharden the aluminum... then maybe paint?

Last edited by chaoscreature; 03-06-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:16 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Nice welds, looks machine welded!

Just make sure they sit flat and that any part of the weld doesnt hang it from sitting flat.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:11 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Here are the mounts that I made.
Awesome! You, sir, have a very steady hand.

Somehow I thought the tranny mount is pressed into place?

Andreas

Last edited by AOW162435; 11-05-2009 at 04:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:55 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Motor Mounts are done, painted and installed. They are just WEVO knockoffs. The old mounts were definitely shot. It was VERY easy to swap them out, probably only took 20 minutes. I am waiting for tomorrow to try them out since I opened a few beers while I was working
I am still curious about the transmission mounts. I would like to swap them out just for drill, but if its a major PITA then I will wait until I have a better reason to pull the trans.
Thanks again for the help!

Last edited by chaoscreature; 03-06-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:12 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Very talented!

Andreas
Old 11-07-2009, 12:29 AM
shu
Racer

Thats impressive....nice job! Let us know about the tranny mount swap.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:36 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

From what I have been told by my tech, the AWD mounts can be done with the trans in the car, RWD easier to do when the trans is out. Have never looked/tried it myself though.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got an RS tranny mount that's been sitting in my garage for 2 years just waiting for an answer to this question. Since I could never get a clear answer I've been waiting for the clutch to go and install at that time.

If it's possible to do it with the tranny in the car, I'll add to my winter project list!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Mount Replacement