Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Messing With a Scammer (UPDATE 12/29 - The *NEW* Check Arrived!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:48 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 504 Likes on 186 Posts

And now the plot thickens:

Hello Ilko,

Thank you very much for the update. be reminded that I'm intending to get the wheels shipped to Belgium with the aid of the shipping company that I hired. I have a car under construction and I will like to have those wheels mounted on them.
As for the funds in your possession, you are expected to deduct only the wheels' fees and get the balance of the funds forwarded to the shipping company that will be coming over to your resident for the pick-up of the rims.
Although the rims are to be shipped to Belgium, so I've picked the haulers from the UK. Wire the fee to the shipper via Western Union Money Transfer. Below is the information you will be needing to send the fee to.

Name: Brook Weaver
Address: 10-11 Larkstone Park, Lodge Road,
Staplehurst, Kent TN12 0QY, UK

You will be contacted soon by the shipper as regard the scheduling of a convenient date and time for the pick-up. Once the pick-up fee is sent, kindly get back to me with the information on the Western Union receipt. The requested information includes: The Sender's name and address, the Money Transfer Control Number (MTCN#), and the exact amount sent after the deduction of the western union charges.

Thanks very much for your usual understanding, and cooperation.

Best Regards,
Sarah.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:36 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
OK, the new check arrived!

he name on the check is very different from the name on the envelope, which in itself is very different from the name of the person I've been talking to.

It is from a company in MD and a bank in MD. The sender on the envelope is in Texas, it was mailed from AZ, and the person I've been talking to is supposedly in Seattle.

Oh yeah, and the amount on this check is different from the amount on the last check which is different from the amount I was selling the "Salad Shooting Rims."

In other words, don't be a ***** Ilko, go ahead and deposit it, this is definitely legit!

I know people at Pike & Fisher! They are a publishing company and I'm on a Board of Directors for a trade association with someone from there. I could email them the pic and see if it is legit. Let me know if you'd like me to do that. Maybe we'll learn if the check was stolen or if that person works there.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:38 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Ah, but that's Pike & Fischer

Yeah, it would be interesting to see their reaction to the check
Old 12-29-2009, 05:46 PM
Denise993
Pro

Ah, but that's Pike & Fischer

Yeah, it would be interesting to see their reaction to the check
You are correct... my typo... They are owned by BNA which is a really large publishing company. I know the president of Pike & Fischer. I'll email her the pic and see what she can tell me.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:50 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Cool, thank you. I've tried to contact the local branch of the FBI, but I think they are a little busy these days sniffing for bombs in people's underwear. That's probably why they haven't called back yet...
Old 12-29-2009, 06:23 PM
Denise993
Pro

Here's the answer from my Pike & Fischer contact:

As to the check, well, it's not real, and it's one of a great many forged items with our name on them circulating about the country lately. They're very obvious fakes, and our bank spots them right away, but they are sure an annoyance. We don't know how they originated, but the makers don't appear to be our employees or former employees.

We have received many similar calls and emails over the last several months. The checks are usually sent to random people, after which the forger contacts the recipient and attempts to convince them to cash the check and wire them a portion of the money. Recipients are unable to cash these checks, of course, because they are fraudulent and because the Wachovia account referenced on the check has been officially closed.

You can tell Ilko to mail the check back to us if he likes (though not at the address on the check, from which we moved almost a year ago, but at the address shown below). We will then forward it to the FBI, which has an investigation in progress. I apologize for the confusion. We are hoping the authorities catch these people soon.

If he would like to file a formal report with the authorities, he can do so using the contact information below. We have several open investigations in progress. I would suggest he send it to #3.

(1) Wachovia's Loss Mgmt Dept. Contact is Flora at 888/647-3648 x 7562 -- case number is #12459315.

(2) Montgomery County Maryland Police Report #S06-051679 - Contact is Officer C. Johnson #2192. Phone #301/565-7740.

(3) We have an open case on file with the Federal Trade Commission 877/438-4338 - reference #9003621.

(4) We have filed complaints with the Internet Complaint Center (IEC) - ID #I0609151613342892. Website is: www.IC3.gov.

Thanks very much for reporting this to us, and have a pleasant new year!

Robert Emeritz
Executive Editor
Pike & Fischer
8505 Fenton Street, Suite 208
Silver Spring, MD 20910-4499
301-562-1530 ext 258
Old 12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ilko

This is truly some funny ****. Keep it up and string this douchebag on as long as you can. A new Rennlist classic. I would forward the check to Denise993's friend as it may help put the person away and stop someone else from getting ripped off. Great stuff and kudos to Denise.

Mike
Old 12-29-2009, 08:24 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell him you cashed the check and wired it to your aunts bank that lives in his area. Set up meets all around town.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried to contact the local branch of the FBI, but I think they are a little busy these days sniffing for bombs in people's underwear. That's probably why they haven't called back yet...

that killed me.
still laughing

Nice assist Denise!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

We all know this sort of scam. It's hilarious and yes law enforcement won't really do anything, there are way bigger fish to fry out there.

James D. Fezatte was a police officer killed on duty (it was on C-Span) and the Texas address is the largest mall in El Paso.

You really have to send "Sarah" on a wild goose chase. And be really clever about it. These people are desperate to get a bite on their line, and once you show any interest, they'll do anything to try to reel you in.

The Quatloss website I posted (on this thread) has some great examples of sending scammers running around like chickens with their heads chopped off.

Go for it, and keep them trying. But do it smoothly and just keep them on your hook. You'll have "Sarah" eating out of your hand. Make "her" get an Ilko tattoo on "her" wrist or maybe a photo of "her" eating a live mouse or something, LOL.

You've got them on your line, now.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:33 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be cautious--these are stories you read about that people end up with bullets in the head.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:03 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

I figured I'd like to play with "Sarah" a little more. Here's my email from this morning:

Hi Sarah,

No problem I'll have that taken care of as soon as the funds clear. You mentioned you are building a car and I have a couple of other items you might be interested in - muffler bearings and blinker fluid. They have universal application, so they'll fit on any vehicle. I've sold my car and can't use them anymore. You can have them for $100 for both + shipping. They go for $450 new. The problem is that they are a little heavy so shipping might be costly (maybe another $200?), but I can bundle them with the wheels. If you want them you can send the money via paypal or send me another check, whatever works best for you.

Let me know what you think,

Ilko
Old 12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You should have used a PO box and not your real address. You never know who these people have in your area as friends.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:18 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

That's not my real address and it's not my real name either
Old 01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Haven't really had a lot of time to deal with our friend "Sarah." lately. A week ago I told her the check hadn't cleared. Here's her response from last night:

Hello, just want to notify you that your muteness has made me seek for the intervention of the authoritiee, because I think you are trying to cheat me over my money. You claimed to an automobile part for sale, and since I needed them, I made the proposal. We agreed on a price and I did informed you about the condition of stuffs here. Now you have my payment and you've kept mute. I did not have my money back, neither did I have the parts you claimed you have for sale.
Mr. Man, expect to hear from the FBI soon.

Good Day.
Ain't skeered!

Quick Reply: OT: Messing With a Scammer (UPDATE 12/29 - The *NEW* Check Arrived!)