993 Forum 1995-1998

CDR 220 Ipod Cable; Unit does not recognize Itouch Ipod

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 11:01 PM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CDR 220 Ipod Cable; Unit does not recognize Itouch Ipod

Did I buy the wrong cable?....see pics. After ordering this cable (before I found the ref to the ipod cable with charging adapter combined) connected the single 3.5 mm audio cable to the back of the CDR 220.

Unit does not recognize the Itouch. Read out displays, "NO CD". Only thing I can figure is that I've purchased the wrong cable...although, the one I have looks identical to the dual cable recommended on this sight except for the charger jack/port. If the cable I have should work, is there a method to get the CDR 220 to recognize the Itouch Ipod?

Any suggestions?

Thank you,
Denny
Attached Images    
Old 10-23-2009, 11:45 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Denny - You may need to enable AUX input on the unit.

- Turn radio on.
- Press and hold the [TP] button for about 8 seconds until Becker is displayed.
- Turn the Tuning **** until AUX Off is displayed.
- Press either button located under the arrows to change the setting from OFF to ON.
- Turn radio off.

See if life is better.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know if that cable will work or not, what I do know is on the CDR 220 sometimes it will get into a state where it will only switch between Source 1 and Source 2 even if you have 3 sources available. What you need to do is push the source button rapidly for it to look at all 3 sources. It gets into a mode where it will only function as an A/B switch, you need go force it to look for C. I discovered this "feature" w/ my 220 when it wouldn't source my Ipod, only switched between the FM and CD.

BTW, that wasn't the style Ipod connector I had, mine was the 1" flat Ipod connector.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

I think the iTouch is slightly different, not sure how, but we have recharger cables that work with our Nano's and 2 iPods, but don't work with my daughter's iTouch. I thought it was incompatible SW on the iTouch, but it might be the pin out, which would be strange.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:22 PM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I have a car charger that worked fine with my Gen 5 iPod Classic. When I plug in my new 64g iPod Touch, I get a message "This accessory Incompatible". They must have added a pin?
I haven't tried it with my Alpine in the P-car.
Hope I don't have the same issue.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:26 PM
verhag
Pro

Hoping "ezinternet" 's suggestion will do the trick. I followed his/her instructions and now have AUX showing on. Simply have to re-install the cable and with luck....all should be fine.

Thank you ezinternet for your advice.
Denny
Old 10-24-2009, 03:53 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You're welcome, Denny.

Hey bluejam ... The message you reported is the device's way of saying "Hey - you presented voltage on the 12v pins." The issue with charging is that when Apple moved to the smaller format iPhone/iPods they dropped the 12v charging circuit. The connector is the same for Gen3-5, iPhone-class devices, but they now charge with 5v (which makes them USB, rather than FireWire compatible). Many older iPod car cables were simply 12v passthrough. The newer ones will have a black box in line to drop the voltage.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:44 PM
verhag
Pro

Again, my thanks to "ezinternet". Your direction and guidance worked perfectly. Followed you instruction to get the CDR220 to recognize or place the Aux in On status...plugged the cable back in and everything works great! My cigarette lighter ipod charger even works with no interference what so ever.

Thank you very much!
Denny
Old 09-25-2010, 03:58 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by ezinternet
Hi Denny - You may need to enable AUX input on the unit.

- Turn radio on.
- Press and hold the [TP] button for about 8 seconds until Becker is displayed.
- Turn the Tuning **** until AUX Off is displayed.
- Press either button located under the arrows to change the setting from OFF to ON.
- Turn radio off.

See if life is better.
Thankyou. Neighbor John finally got the CDR220 working in his 95. He couldn't, however, get the ipod function to work. I had the same problem when I installed mine and found this thread. A short trip using the "search" function resulted in finding it again.

This place is a fantastic source of info. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: CDR 220 Ipod Cable; Unit does not recognize Itouch Ipod