993 Forum 1995-1998

The g50/31 Experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 01:51 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default The g50/31 Experience

As some of you know, I purchased a 993 RS g50/31 gearbox recently. I decided to pull the engine to install the following along with the gearbox:

- RS LWF
- RS Clutch
- Rear Main Seal
- Plugs
- Power Steering Belt
- Timing Chain Cover Gaskets
- Valve Cover Gaskets

Overall I'm really happy with the result. I've heard people claim that a regear feels like an extra 50hp. I don't agree, but it does feel like the gaps in the powerband have been minimized. In other words, the car doesn't pull much harder, but the gearbox allows you to always stay in the meat of the powerband where the car pulls the hardest. This was impossible with the /20 as the gaps were simply too wide. A good example is the 1st to 2nd shift. With the /20, the car always felt "off cam" after the shift, no matter hard high it was revved in 1st. This is no longer a problem now. There's one continuous thrust of acceleration. The net result is that the feels really quick everywhere.

Misc stuff:

- I like the LWF - no stalling even with a/c on and no noise at idle. But there is noise when accelerating at low rpms. To me the noise is not great, but it's worth the tradeoff.
- Unexpected benefit - the LWF makes it much easier for me to match revs.
- The /31 shifted smooth from the very beginning. I was expecting notchiness until it was broken in. Using Mobil Delvac.
- The tall 1st gear of the RS box is not really a big deal in traffic. You get used to it.
- What is harder to get used to is remembering to use 1st for more than starting off (2nd is pretty tall). Since my other car is also a manual and the 993 is not my daily driver, this is more of a challenge. However, having a usable 1st is a joy when you remember to use it.
- 6th gear doesn't seem short at all. In fact, I wouldn't mind if it were a bit shorter. IMHO, there absolutely no reason to retain the /20 6th gear on an NA 993. Way too tall.

Overall, I'm glad I spent the time and $$$. This is my "forever" car, so i'm not worried about recouping the investment.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-02-2009, 01:55 AM
JM993
Banned

Forgot the pics
Attached Images      
Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 AM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

JMARCH, agree entirely with your G50-31 gearbox. I think the box would be even sweeter with shorter 2-6 gears, the tall 1-2 is good for track but a shorter stack would be better for the street, maybe not the freeway, but again you have another freeway driver. Of course your avitar is cooler that all this trivia, looks like China Hat?

Last edited by schmidtwerk; 10-02-2009 at 02:51 AM. Reason: Misspell
Old 10-02-2009, 02:50 AM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks awesome, Joe! I'm glad to hear you got her all back together.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:55 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrat Joe!!!

Just as I have imagined, it doesn't make the car pull harder, just be in the right rev for it to pull.

That ltw flywheel is something else huh? One blip of the gas pedal and the revs go soaring making it pretty easy to heel-toe. Oh yeah the noise, makes you think you engine turned to a clothes dryer filled with rocks.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:47 AM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by schmidtwerk
JMARCH, agree entirely with your G50-31 gearbox. I think the box would be even sweeter with shorter 2-6 gears, the tall 1-2 is good for track but a shorter stack would be better for the street, maybe not the freeway, but again you have another freeway driver. Of course your avitar is cooler that all this trivia, looks like China Hat?
Thanks Jeff. That's actually Lake Arrowhead. We used to ride there when I lived in SoCal. Now we ride Mendocino National Forest which is awesome.

Seems we have similar tastes in cars and bikes. But, you have a real RS - Wow!

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Nice and I want one!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:14 AM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are some fantastic modifications. Thanks for the write-up on these. Do you have the standard shift linkage or a short shifter?
Old 10-02-2009, 10:38 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmarch
As some of you know, I purchased a 993 RS g50/31 gearbox recently. But there is noise when accelerating at low rpms. To me the noise is not great, but it's worth the tradeoff.

Cheers,
Joe
Congradulations Joe!

Job well done.

I really appreciate your assessment of the g50/31.

Can you please explain/describe this noise at low rpms?

Thank you,

Bob-
Old 10-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 351 Posts

Congratulations!
The obligatory gear comparison chart

I've heard people claim that a regear feels like an extra 50hp. I don't agree
The available acceleration at a given speed feels like a lot more hp, drive both your cars at the same speed in the same gear, which feels livelier?

it does feel like the gaps in the powerband have been minimized
for the most part they have but it still has the tallish 6.

6th gear doesn't seem short at all. In fact, I wouldn't mind if it were a bit shorter. IMHO, there absolutely no reason to retain the /20 6th gear on an NA 993. Way too tall
I couldn't agree more, tastes vary but I like ~165 for a top in 6, you still have reasonble cruise rpm but the car is much more lively than /20 at all legal speeds. Most tracks around here you use 3, 4, 5 only Montecello has a long enought straight for 6. If you move 5 to 6 that is liveable but a little short.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:02 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Joe,
Excellent write-up!

Did your wife ever question where the floral-print door mat went?

Andreas
Old 10-02-2009, 11:12 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice!

Can't wait to drive it some day.
Then again... I suspect I will need one if I do. Hmmmm...
Old 10-02-2009, 01:07 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by MarkD
Nice!

Can't wait to drive it some day.
Then again... I suspect I will need one if I do. Hmmmm...
I think I'll have the same problem when I drive your 2wd Turbo

Thanks to both you and Darrin for helping me source parts. FD Motorsports is a wonderful resource for us on this list. Mark and Darrin are very knowledgable (I didn't have to worry about getting the wrong parts), and went out of their way to remedy a problem (not their fault) that we ran into when I found a little problem with the LTW (see below). Glad I caught this before I installed everything
Attached Images   
Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM
JM993
Banned

Originally Posted by axl911
Congrat Joe!!!

Just as I have imagined, it doesn't make the car pull harder, just be in the right rev for it to pull.

That ltw flywheel is something else huh? One blip of the gas pedal and the revs go soaring making it pretty easy to heel-toe. Oh yeah the noise, makes you think you engine turned to a clothes dryer filled with rocks.
Exactly. Bob, this is pretty much how it sounds.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 10-02-2009, 01:26 PM
JM993
Banned

Bill, no question the car is much livelier now. The point I was trying to make is that the car doesn't pull like a turbo, but the gearbox helps fill in the gaps the /20 exposes by letting the engine revs fall too low.

Beers, I have the stock shifter.

Andreas - I don't know what you are talking about

Cheers,
Joe

Quick Reply: The g50/31 Experience