New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 08:17 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

No, but it is Monday and the car has arrived......
Old 09-21-2009, 09:32 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NineMeister
No, but it is Monday and the car has arrived......
Wait...so the car is there, and no pics yet?!?!?!??!?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Don't get too excited guys, this is not going to be a road rocket, the project is being done on a tightly controlled budget and with limited upgrades and is all about having a beautiful looking convertible for the summer. We already have a pair of original Speedster doors and every other part that we need, so there are no problems with parts supply. The customer is also planning to keep the Tip because he is having knee joint problems and will struggle to use a clutched transmission, although we are giving consideration to fitting a 996TT or 997TT tiptronic at a later date.

Those of you who are hoping to witness the build of the ultimate Speedster are obviously going to be disappointed, however don't dispair as we all you need to do is keep an eye on the 964 forum because we are also finishing off an extensive conversion on a genuine 964 Speedster over the winter. The specification of this car is probably going to include a 500hp supercharged 3.8 litre 8200rpm engine on Motec (with knock control), 6 speed 993RS gearbox & LSD, carbon twin plate clutch, carbon ceramic brakes, 4 channel ABS, KW suspension, Dymag carbon/mag wheels and lots of other goodies besides. Now that one will definitely be a streetfighter (in disguise) .....
Any Idea if a PDK box would mate-up to a 993 engine. Would Motec be able to keep up.

That would be a bad-*** option.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:28 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

So - for all those of you waiting! I flew up to Edinburgh, Scotland on Saturday morning and having sorted out the financials, took over ownership of a 97 VR 993 Cab. Drove a bit further North to visit some PCGB friends, and arrived back in Cheshire 8.00 pm Sunday evening having given the car a wee shakedown! This morning, having owned the car less than 48 hrs and now added another 350 miles drove across to 9M in Warrington - why did I keep thinking the phrase 'Lamb to Slaughter!'
As I want to be actively involved in this project, I spent the day with Marc removing the interior.
The pictures tell todays story!
Name:  9931.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  143.2 KB
Name:  9932.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  127.2 KB
Name:  9933.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  129.8 KB
Name:  9934.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  122.3 KB
Name:  9935.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  152.4 KB
Name:  9936.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  135.8 KB
......to be continued!

Graham

Last edited by grahampeterm; 09-21-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: For spelling!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:39 PM
whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is what I have been waiting for..I would love to do the same to my Cab. Can you take us through the parts? I might start quietly (from my wife) buying all the parts over while my kids grow up.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:33 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Oh like -
2 doors
1 screen
1 screen surround support
1 hump
1 roof
dashboard, top skuttle panel, inner bulkhead panels, new A posts, plus in-fill panels, new inner rear quarters, etc etc

Then there's the new turbo rear quarters, sills, internal fill in sections.....the list goes on!

Nearly all the parts are still available direct from Porsche in Germany, and alot of the 'new' panels were pressed back in '94 and just sat on the shelf, but the stocks are dwindling and some NLA.
I think we have majority of the parts - lucky finds have helped, but there are less & less bits out there!

And then you need a craftsman to stitch it all together! It aint a quick fix!
Watch this space
G
Old 09-21-2009, 07:35 PM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like some voracious interior eating beetles have been hard at it!
Old 09-21-2009, 08:54 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
Looks like some voracious interior eating beetles have been hard at it!
No point messing about, if you're going to do it you may as well go for it big time!

It's on the 2 post ramp tomorrow for a complete mechanicals drop so we can then load it on the jig.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:50 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Cool Congrats, Graham!

The sickness spreads.

Glad you went public. You were killing me, G!
Originally Posted by curve lover
Colin-- Thanks, you made my day! Will be fun to watch, & especially to see her beauty makeover. What color?
PS Graham-- You have a PM (hope you got my previous one, too).
It's going to be a shade of blue mica that's somewhere in between horizon blue and cobalt.
Y'all were trying to throw those of us off that were expecting Fountain Blue.
...from the "Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER" & "Speedster type 993 photo thread"s:
Originally Posted by grahampeterm
Hi Curve Lover
Well what have you got me started on! Always loved the look of a Speedster, and this has just given me the inspiration I needed! I have just shelled out a large wedge of cash and bought doors, screen with surround and emergency roof, hump, various seals and metalwork to start my own 993 Speedster project.
Graham
Not quite ready to post the pictures yet - but there will be Fountain Blue WB 993 Speedster appearing soon
G
This is gonna be a blast. Looks like your donor cab's in great hands.
Who will be next??? [Enter evil cackle here ... muwahaha muhaha]

PS Graham-- Thanks for your PM... you have e-mail.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:51 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

...It's on the 2 post ramp tomorrow for a complete mechanicals drop so we can then load it on the jig.
Are you doing anything to further reinforce the chasis? My understanding is the factory did some reinforcement for 993 targas and cabs but while fairly stout for the era, the 993 cab chasis feels like a noodle compared to the more modern 997 and 996 cab chasis.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

So for todays photo update - also another deluvery from the OPC - all the TT widebody panels (plus another invoice :0
Name:  993FRT.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  136.7 KB
Name:  993REAR.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  136.0 KB
Name:  993REAR2.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  120.0 KB
Name:  993UNDER.jpg
Views: 803
Size:  116.1 KB
As colin said - motor now ready to drop!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:18 PM
mcfeeley1071
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, this is exciting!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by David in LA
Are you doing anything to further reinforce the chasis? My understanding is the factory did some reinforcement for 993 targas and cabs but while fairly stout for the era, the 993 cab chasis feels like a noodle compared to the more modern 997 and 996 cab chasis.
We had not planned to, but since part of the widebody & speedster conversion involves removing the outer sills and A-posts we were planning to look at what is possible before the new turbo panels are welded into place. More on this later.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:57 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

We had not planned to, but since part of the widebody & speedster conversion involves removing the outer sills and A-posts we were planning to look at what is possible before the new turbo panels are welded into place. More on this later.
BTW, any plans for a roll bar or roll cage? I thought the one S-Car-Go did for Barry Bonds' Strosek Speedster was very well done...I really like the hoops (although not very fond of the Strosek kit)
Attached Images   
Old 09-23-2009, 09:48 AM
Uber 911

So - for all those of you waiting! I flew up to Edinburgh, Scotland on Saturday morning and having sorted out the financials, took over ownership of a 97 VR 993 Cab. Drove a bit further North to visit some PCGB friends, and arrived back in Cheshire 8.00 pm Sunday evening having given the car a wee shakedown! This morning, having owned the car less than 48 hrs and now added another 350 miles drove across to 9M in Warrington - why did I keep thinking the phrase 'Lamb to Slaughter!'
As I want to be actively involved in this project, I spent the day with Marc removing the interior.
The pictures tell todays story!

......to be continued!

Graham
Is that a Porsche Tractor in the background?

Quick Reply: New! 9m93 Speedster widebody - full build in detail