Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The official PORSCHE 993 OBD II test drive

Old 12-17-2016, 06:29 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

Took my car for emissions yesterday and it failed due to OBD not being ready (although the actual emissions results were outstanding). Followed the drive cycle from this thread and passed today! I have to say that this was very difficult to perform in SoCal. I thought someone was going to kill me for driving so slow and it was also hard because of traffic
Old 03-16-2017, 11:03 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

is there anyone here that knows of any possible differences in the requirements of the the reset protocol of the a/c 993 vs the w/c 996?

i ask only because having successfully completed this process years ago, i am now seemingly stuck with all monitors set to "ready" except for the "cat not ready" portion of the obd scan.

does this suggest to anyone that my focus should be on stage (2) = "20-30 mph <3k rpm for 3:15? or rather stage (3) 40-60 mph while never exceeding 60 mph or 3k rpm.

i dont recall this being so difficult and i've done a couple of trips, though i too have had major difficulty maintaining the speeds without having to come to stops, eg traffic etc. its quite possible i am missing the mark of each step of the process as i am deep in a canyon and cant complete the 20-30 mph portion and then sequentially beginning the 40-60 portion seamlessly without either stopping or having to interrupt the process in one way or another. the fact that all but CAT NOT READY is left to complete suggests at least to me that portion (1/2) *may* be complete(?)

again, all are "ready" except i still have "cat not ready". also, can i leave my obd reader plugged in while going thru the drive cycle and will the cat readiness eventually "set" after the process is successful? or must i unplug the obd reader and re-insert the reader into the obd port? after turning the motor off and then the ignition back on?

any help is appreciated. thanks.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:26 PM
993-TJC
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In CAli they will pass with all but one readiness code set.
I was able to run both drive cycles back to back and get the rest of the codes set. Drove straight to smog and passed.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

:::

Last edited by "02996ttx50; 03-31-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:42 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

For what it is worth. This is what I do to reset my OBDII for a 96 993. I have been doing it since Rusnak charged me $300 to reset it.

Two well known Independant Porsche Mechanics in Pasadena told me what to do.

With car cold start up not exceeding 3krpm.
Drive for 26-30 minutes not exceeding 3-4K rpms and not below 2K. At stop light make sure idle no longer than 45-60 seconds. After 26- 30 minutes let car sit for at least 30 minutes. Or run on Freeway. I have used Huntington Drive in March of 2017. New Battery. I repeat it a few times for luck.

It works for me. If you want names of My guy PM me.

It's you think it is BS fine but you are wrong and an idiot.Top end has been done. I have 115k miles on the car.

I did it in 2013, 2015, 2017.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
For what it is worth. This is what I do to reset my OBDII for a 96 993. I have been doing it since Rusnak charged me $300 to reset it.

Two well known Independant Porsche Mechanics in Pasadena told me what to do.

With car cold start up not exceeding 3krpm.
Drive for 26-30 minutes not exceeding 3-4K rpms and not below 2K. At stop light make sure idle no longer than 45-60 seconds. After 26- 30 minutes let car sit for at least 30 minutes. Or run on Freeway. I have used Huntington Drive in March of 2017. New Battery. I repeat it a few times for luck.

It works for me. If you want names of My guy PM me.

It's you think it is BS fine but you are wrong and an idiot.Top end has been done. I have 115k miles on the car.

I did it in 2013, 2015, 2017.
i just did mine and as usual drive with my Innova reeder plugged in the whole time so I can monitor in real time although it really only counts right at the end of the 2nd cycle when the last 4 flags trip all at once. Two successive cold start low load below 3k cycles about 10-15min each stop idle for 30 seconds and all flags reset before my eyes. Stop and go no problem. Light load and the car at temp is all that's needed. Great results also this is from today
Old 05-10-2017, 07:07 PM
redcarrera
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CEL after forgetting to reconnect distributor Hall sensor plug after a cap/rotor change. Erased CEL with cheap Innova 3020b reader then followed drive cycle guidelines in post 11. Backed out of garage and idled 2 min 10 sec. then with very gentle throttle, not exceeding 2200 rpm drove a couple blocks to a street where I could drive 25 mph for 3 min 15 sec. Then, again keeping revs under 3,000 and gentle throttle inputs, drove to highway were I was able to drive 15 mins at 55 mph with revs under 3,000 rpm. Finally pulled off highway keeping Rebs under 3,000 and gentle throttle inputs and pulled into a parking lot where I could idle for 5 mins. Did this on two different days - both cold starts and after second day's routine, shut off engine and removed key for 3 mins before restarting and driving home, normally, enjoying full rpm range and "correct" driving. When I got home, plugged in reader and

How sweet it is!

Thank you to all that contributed to this thread.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:32 PM
SLVRon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993-TJC
In CAli they will pass with all but one readiness code set.
I was able to run both drive cycles back to back and get the rest of the codes set. Drove straight to smog and passed.
Given that I'm in the position of not passing my smog check due to unset monitors, and having one readiness code not set (Secondary Air System Monitor - according to my Bosch OBDII tester) I checked into this comment further. According to this document from the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair, you can indeed have one monitor not set - the Evaporative System Monitor I'm going to try the cycle again tonight to see if I can get that last one set.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:07 AM
993-TJC
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They do allow one not set if no cel and the readings are good. The secondary air should set in the first idle seconds of the run cycle. Secondary air comes on at start up until the cat is warmed up.
Just another ritual with our cars. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:40 PM
SLVRon
Advanced

Originally Posted by 993-TJC
They do allow one not set if no cel and the readings are good. The secondary air should set in the first idle seconds of the run cycle. Secondary air comes on at start up until the cat is warmed up.
Just another ritual with our cars. Good luck.
Did the driving cycle on the way home last night - resulted in 7 out of 8 monitors set. Did it again later last night after a four hour cool off and all 8 were then set

Took it in again for a smog check this morning and passed with flying colors. Thanks again for all of the advice here - again, in my case it's a 997.1.
Old 08-30-2017, 06:28 PM
rohitgarewal
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Bringing this thread back from the dead as I'm trying to get my car smogged. I've run through this cycle twice now, both times extending it a bit, but no luck. Apparently I have five sensors that aren't set. Any tips?

for some more context, I did the idles, sandwiching them with 20-30 mph under 3000, then a 40-60 for about 20 minutes. Those two were separated by some stops trying to get to the freeway.

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I started another thread with this but I think it might be beneficial here too.
========

About 4 mos ago I disconnected the battery on my ’97 993 for some routine maint. and other work. After reconnecting the battery I decided I wanted to try an un-scientific test of the OBDII Readiness Flags. I decided I would drive the 993 as I normally would for a few months until just before it was time for me to renew the registration which in TN requires an annual emissions test (no sniffer, just pass the OBDII tests). Since in the past I’ve never had any problems using the so called “BMW OBD ii Drive Cycles Procedure” to get my readiness indicators to set I wasn’t too worried about having any issues.

The Code Reader I use is the INNOVA 3100 and I’ve had it for several years, I think I paid less than $100 for it. The only time I’ve had a problem with it was caused by operator error (me) when I failed to disable the Immobilizer and the reader couldn’t communicate with the car. I learned that lesson the hard way.

I don’t know how many miles I put on before I hooked up the tester to check (remember I said un-scientific) but it had to have been in excess of 1500 mi. I drove the 993 as I normally would which includes regular excursions above 5k+ RPM. I did not try to baby the car for the sake of this test.

When I hooked up the OBDII Reader today I was not surprised that only following (3) Monitors (Readiness Indicators) were set:

M - Misfire
F - Fuel System
CC - Comprehensive Component

The following (5) Monitors were in a Non-set (flashing) condition:

C - Catalyst
EV - Evaporative System
2A - Sec. Air System (SAI)
O - Oxygen Sensor
OH – Oxygen Sensor Heater

There are a total of (11) Monitors but as the OBDII Reader’s Manual says “not all vehicles support all 11 monitors”. I deduce the Porsche supports only 8.

After performing the “BMW OBDII Drive Cycle Procedure” the first time on Sat. morning and returning home the status of the monitors had not changed, 3 were still set and 5 were flashing (not set). It should be noted that I left the OBDII Reader connected to the OBDII port the entire time while I was driving, once a minute or so the Reader would “refresh” (ping the 993”s OBDII system) itself. At no time did any of the Readiness Indicators change their status during or after the first run.

After letting the 993 sit (cool) for about 4 hrs. I decided to try the second run (in the past I let the car sit overnight, not this time). I went on a slightly different route but it still allowed me to run the “BMW OBDII Drive Cycle Procedure” in order. All through the drive the Reader was still connected to the car and there was no change to the 3 set/5 flashing status until I got home. I backed into the driveway and pulled the handbrake to complete the final step which is “Idle for apx. 5 min.” (in-gear for auto transmission cars only). After less than 1 ½ min. of idling the 5 remaining Readiness Indicators set (all on solid, none flashing)! Success! In the words of Jackie Gleason “How sweet it is!”

To be clear I was rarely able to complete any individual step of the “BMW OBDII Drive Cycle Procedure” without a break for a stop sign or to go around a corner, I would just return to the speed and RPM I was moving in as soon as possible. I did however extend the drive on that step of the procedure for as long as that section of road allowed (without getting ridiculous). However it is critical that you not exceed 3K RPM or 60 MPH for the duration of the test. I did however, on 2 occasions exceed the 3K/60 MPH limit but not by much and it was for a very brief period of time so I don’t think that is a “hard and fast” rule, just try your best to avoid it.

I have photos of the Reader connected and the display that I will upload tonight.

Someone (I don’t remember who) wrote out the “BMW OBDII Drive Cycle Procedure” so we didn’t have to use the PDF file, hopefully they won’t mind if I copy it and put it in this thread. Save me some more typing.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-31-2017, 02:28 AM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Hi,

I followed the instructions and passed today from my 90 minute freeway cruising commute to and from work. I did the following:

1. Started the car in the morning and idled it for a few minutes.

2. Drove out of my neighborhood under 20MPH/3K RPM (2nd gear)

3. Drove under 30MPH/3K RPM for 5 minutes with a few stop signs on the route (3rd gear)

4. Drove under 60MPH/3K RPM for 20 minutes on the freeway (speed was pretty constant as I put it on cruise on 5th gear)

5. Exited the freeway and parked for 5 minutes in neutral and turned off the engine to do some errands.

6. Drove to work

Later in the day

1. Started the car in the afternoon and idled it for a few minutes

2. Drove in stop and go town traffic with multiple stop lights for 10 minutes under 30 MPH/3K RPM (2nd gear)

3. Drove in freeway traffic with multiple slow downs/stops for 30 minutes under 50 MPH/3K RPM (4th gear)

4. Drove under 60MPH/3K RPM for 30 minutes on the freeway (speed was pretty constant as I put it on cruise on 5th gear)

5. Drove under 20MPH/3K RPM for 5 minutes with a few stop signs from the freeway back to my home (2nd gear)

5. Parked for 5 minutes at my home in idle and turned off the car.

6. Had dinner and a few hours later after kids were asleep, ran the ready check with my ODBII scanner and shows the readiness checks have cleared.

Last edited by samurai_k; 10-12-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:57 PM
samurai_k
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by samurai_k; 10-12-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 01:36 PM
User 41421
Advanced

Originally Posted by badabing
You have to do it 3 times on some cars
Just as a note: my early 1996 (October '95 build) took three runs to reset.

Last edited by User 41421; 08-17-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-05-2018, 03:13 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 874 Likes on 416 Posts

My new to me 97 finally passed. A few counties in TN have the OBD test and Hamilton where I live is one of them. From reading on these forums, the compliance is more difficult than CA! We have no “referee” option. You fail and if not successful in retests, you must spend $650 on emissions related items on a MY 97 automobile. The car ran flawlessly from day one of my adoption so I was at a loss after the first emissions fail. It took me over 600 miles to get the OBD II to reset but when that magic moment came this week, all indicators went green. I am surprised the experienced collector Porsche dealer I purchased from did not keep voltage on the car when he replaced the battery prior to my purchase but all is good now. Now I have been able to drive the car as Porsche intended. I used the BMW drive cycles as good as I could and the last one I tried was to closest to what folks have posted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The official PORSCHE 993 OBD II test drive