Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

The official PORSCHE 993 OBD II test drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

BTW, today I decided to check my '97 M3 and it only has those 8 flags set. Per the OBDll reader manual the display "DONE" (see photo #2 above) will only display when all flags that the vehicles OBDII system checks and have set (passes). IOW, if the system checks 8 systems and only 7 have set then the text "DONE" will not display.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:37 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

could someone comment on the second column, "Load" of the OBD ll sheet from the first post?

I live in a very steep area, its either uphill or downhill from my home.
I'm having trouble getting the readiness codes to set and thinking maybe its that I need a flat area to run the drive cycle?

thanks in advance.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by k722070
could someone comment on the second column, "Load" of the OBD ll sheet from the first post?

I live in a very steep area, its either uphill or downhill from my home.
I'm having trouble getting the readiness codes to set and thinking maybe its that I need a flat area to run the drive cycle?

thanks in advance.
I just went through the driving dance, twice and it worked for me. I am sure that a couple of times during the drive I dipped below the speed range but all in all it worked just fine. Keep it below 2850 rpms to play is safe. It doesn't matter if you are driving uphills or down, I did both. I would assume that under load means you are putting a road force load on the engine, just regular driving and not sitting still on spindles in your garage.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
"After letting the 993 sit (cool) for about 4 hrs. I decided to try the second run"

Yes, that's the procedure, i.e. two trips not necessarily a 4 hr wait between.
When all elements of the emission system are working properly, it's that easy.
Sorry for having to dig this one up...

Going to attempt this tomorrow. Can I just start the second run immediately after the first? Like turn the car off, then right back on and drive?
Old 02-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by gonzilla

Going to attempt this tomorrow. Can I just start the second run immediately after the first? Like turn the car off, then right back on and drive?
It's good that you're digging up old threads, better than rehashing the same thing over in a new thread.

No, you have to let it cool down a bit. How long, I don't know. I suspect your ambient temps will impact how long it needs to cool. Shortest I've waited was 3 hrs. but if I was doing it now in our cool weather I would give 2 hrs. a try.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 02-04-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

I did. I actually did it three times in a row to make sure I covered it. And it did. Next time I only did it twice in a row. And it worked that time too. Perhaps next time I try it just once!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I did. I actually did it three times in a row to make sure I covered it. And it did. Next time I only did it twice in a row. And it worked that time too. Perhaps next time I try it just once!
You did the runs one after the other? I would have thought the O2 Sensor Heater test would require the car to have cooled down. I've been wrong before though.

I'll be unplugging my battery in a few days, I'll test it after that.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Yeah, I may have been good after the first run and the others didn't do anything.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I was just reviewing the doc in the 1st post, for cycle #3 (SAI) it requires an engine temp. between 12c and 60c which is 53F and 140F. Don't really know what impact that has on his question though.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:59 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I was just reviewing the doc in the 1st post, for cycle #3 (SAI) it requires an engine temp. between 12c and 60c which is 53F and 140F. Don't really know what impact that has on his question though.
I don't think that matters. I think they're just saying that the engine temp has to be in that range for that particular readiness test.

I'd love to hear definitively if I have to wait for any period of time before I start the second run. I'd hate to ruin it by waiting too long/not waiting long enough!
Old 02-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

I don't think that matters. I think they're just saying that the engine temp has to be in that range for that particular readiness test.

I'd love to hear definitively if I have to wait for any period of time before I start the second run. I'd hate to ruin it by waiting too long/not waiting long enough!
I'm not an expert but I would think if the engine is not in that temp range then it won't conduct that test and if it doesn't conduct that readiness test it won't reset the indicators.

An easy way to verify one way or the other is to use a OBDII tester and follow what I did in posts 28 & 29. You can do the first run, leave the tester hooked up, shut the car off for a few min. and then start the car up and run it again. The tester will tell you if the readiness indicators set. If they don't after the second run then shut the car off and let it cool for a couple of hours and run it again.

I'll be happy to test it this w/e if the weather cooperates, I need to disconnect the battery anyway. My previous 993 Cab reset very easily, I'll see if this one is just as easy to do. Of course it helps that I have great roads near where I live to do this, I have 3 routes that I've run from my house, any one works fine.

You're not going to ruin the test by waiting too long, it just needs 2 complete/successful runs to set the readiness indicators. Personally I've run 1 pass on 1 day, let the car sit overnight and run the second run the next day and the RI's set after the 2nd run.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:11 AM
ecobb993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the proud original submitter of the "BMW Readiness Code Set Routine" and wanted to remind those that are interested that it was entered on our DIY forum a few years ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...t-routine.html

Again, it has worked for me quite nicely for years. I have a laptop diag app that tells me the readiness codes/status which always confirms the routine's success.

I've just ordered the parts to finally end this foolishness with a SAI port cleanout (I hope!).
Old 02-04-2010, 01:50 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by ecobb993
I'm the proud original submitter of the "BMW Readiness Code Set Routine" and wanted to remind those that are interested that it was entered on our DIY forum a few years ago: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-1995...t-routine.html

Again, it has worked for me quite nicely for years. I have a laptop diag app that tells me the readiness codes/status which always confirms the routine's success.

I've just ordered the parts to finally end this foolishness with a SAI port cleanout (I hope!).
Yes JC, I've used your BMW sequence many times (even on my BMW believe it or not) and also given you the credit in several threads. Thank you very much, it's worked wonderfully for me. Now I'm just going to see how short a "cool down" time I need between passes.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:12 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

GOOD LORD! I just finished my 1st drive following the BMW sequence. It took me an hour and a half. It's tough to find suitable places to do this here in LA!

Here's today's questions. Can I wait until tomorrow to do it again, or do I have to start another driving sequence immediately (or within 4 hours or whatever)? Also the next time I start my car do I have to do the sequence to complete it? Or can I go get gas first? I've only got about 1/8 of a tank left and I have my doubts as to whether that's going to cut it or not.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

GOOD LORD! I just finished my 1st drive following the BMW sequence. It took me an hour and a half. It's tough to find suitable places to do this here in LA!

Here's today's questions. Can I wait until tomorrow to do it again, or do I have to start another driving sequence immediately (or within 4 hours or whatever)? Also the next time I start my car do I have to do the sequence to complete it? Or can I go get gas first? I've only got about 1/8 of a tank left and I have my doubts as to whether that's going to cut it or not.
To answer your 1st question, Yes, you can let the car sit overnight, that's what I was doing the first 3 or 4 times I had to set the RI's. It was only later that I started making the second run 3 or 4 hrs after the first.

On my roads, 1/8 tank of gas would be plenty to make the 2nd run, however it sounds like you have a harder time finding those roads. This is my suggestion for you, I would do as much of the 2nd run as you can on your way to get gas. When you get to the station DON"T shut the car off, let it idle. Put whatever gas you need and then continue with the remainder of the 2nd. run. If you can't do that, just get your gas, take the car home, wait a few hrs. and then do the second run. Just don't take the car over 3k RPM on the gas run.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply: The official PORSCHE 993 OBD II test drive