Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

ot- Can you register a car in a different state than your drivers license?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 09:30 AM
BDHo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ot- Can you register a car in a different state than your drivers license?

question:
do cars have to be registered in the same state as their owners drivers license?
What if you store the car in a different state than your primarly residence (summer home?) and the car is used in the state where you spend your vacations.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:34 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It has to be registered in the state where the cars resides, with its corresponding state license plate and tags.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:58 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I recently bought a second house in Florida. I was told that Florida had 'Florida Only' driver's license available, however the DMV there said that those licenses will no longer be available (thank you 911) and that only one license per person rule will apply. I don't know how people with multiple residences in different states can handle this. I will be making the Florida house my 'primary' residence for now.

Good Luck!!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:06 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by BDHo
question:
do cars have to be registered in the same state as their owners drivers license?
What if you store the car in a different state than your primarly residence (summer home?) and the car is used in the state where you spend your vacations.
California allows you to register car's in their state with an out-of-state drivers license.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Varies by state. Your state's DMV website will have that info. imho, you should also check how your insurance company feels about.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:10 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It has to be registered in the state where the cars resides, with its corresponding state license plate and tags.
Exactly right - that's the story in almost all states. In fact many states will fine you if a resident car does NOT have a local plate. If the car gets moved back and forth across state lines then it's supposed to be registered where it spends most of it's time. The only catch is that you also usually need an actual physical address in that state as well.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
MGA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When my AZ home was my vacation home and I lived "permanently" in NY (NY driver's License), I was able to obtain AZ registration for a car that was domiciled in AZ.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

21 years in the military, I registered cars in a number of states while maintaining my TN license... We were always told that two of the three (license, registration, and insurance) had to be in the same state... Of course, special rules apply to military pesonnel, but I am very sure it can be done almost anywhere.

Quick Reply: ot- Can you register a car in a different state than your drivers license?