ot- Can you register a car in a different state than your drivers license? - Rennlist Discussion Forums
Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    

Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 993 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
BDHo
User

Default ot- Can you register a car in a different state than your drivers license?

question:
do cars have to be registered in the same state as their owners drivers license?
What if you store the car in a different state than your primarly residence (summer home?) and the car is used in the state where you spend your vacations.
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

BDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
cabrio993
Super User

It has to be registered in the state where the cars resides, with its corresponding state license plate and tags.
cabrio993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
mr_bock
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recently bought a second house in Florida. I was told that Florida had 'Florida Only' driver's license available, however the DMV there said that those licenses will no longer be available (thank you 911) and that only one license per person rule will apply. I don't know how people with multiple residences in different states can handle this. I will be making the Florida house my 'primary' residence for now.

Good Luck!!!!

1996 C2 993 Arena Red
Custom Rain Gutter Delete
TPC Supercharger kit
Installation by Euroquipe, St. Charles, IL
DAS Roll Bar
GT Sport Steering Wheel
Custom Short Shifter
H&R front and rear swaybars
Rennline 2 Point Strut Brace
Kinesis K28 3-piece Wheels
Axxis Ultimate Brake pads
Pilot Sport tires
Stage III Muffler Mod by FisterD
Ultimate Pedal Set

My latest addition... 2001 360 Modena Ferrari
My 'other' car is a tricked out 2002 M5
mr_bock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
JPP
Addict
Rennlist Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDHo View Post
question:
do cars have to be registered in the same state as their owners drivers license?
What if you store the car in a different state than your primarly residence (summer home?) and the car is used in the state where you spend your vacations.
California allows you to register car's in their state with an out-of-state drivers license.

Jon Paul

'98 9m93 Speedster S, 'The ultimate Cabrio top fix' "SpeedArena", Arena Red over Black/Rubicon. One of the 9m four(!) (so far) ..
2006 Cayman S, Porsche's dirty little secret
JPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Canyon56
User

Varies by state. Your state's DMV website will have that info. imho, you should also check how your insurance company feels about.
Canyon56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
2Many Cars
User

Quote:
It has to be registered in the state where the cars resides, with its corresponding state license plate and tags.
Exactly right - that's the story in almost all states. In fact many states will fine you if a resident car does NOT have a local plate. If the car gets moved back and forth across state lines then it's supposed to be registered where it spends most of it's time. The only catch is that you also usually need an actual physical address in that state as well.
2Many Cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
MGA
Addict
Rennlist Member

When my AZ home was my vacation home and I lived "permanently" in NY (NY driver's License), I was able to obtain AZ registration for a car that was domiciled in AZ.
MGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

21 years in the military, I registered cars in a number of states while maintaining my TN license... We were always told that two of the three (license, registration, and insurance) had to be in the same state... Of course, special rules apply to military pesonnel, but I am very sure it can be done almost anywhere.

1998 Carerra C2S (my baby), Arctic Silver/Black, PSS-9, Turbo Sways, RSR's, DACH X-pipe, Big Red Brakes, FD Motorsports SSK
2005 Cayenne S (wife's car), Titanium Metallic/Black, Nav, Air Suspension, Mega $$$ XM Radio install, aluminum coolant pipes
2012 Audi S4 (daily driver), Prestige, Monsoon Gray/Black, S-tronic

Rennlist Membership # 021214-2365
Michael S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Rennlist

Paid Advertisement

Tags
apply, car, cars, ct, in, license, passport, register, registered, registering, reside, residency, state, states, year