Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER

Old 12-29-2013, 12:08 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dlee

Hi Everyone

I'm a newbie from Down Under and I drive a 993 Turbo S.
Douglas-- Your first Rennlist post! Congratulations & welcome

I stumbled across Rennlist a few weeks ago and have been amazed at the quality of cars on this site.

None more so that "Speedy"-whoa, what a machine! Sadly, I now realise that I drive the world's second best 993 model and, if I lived Stateside, I'd be over knocking on curve lover's door with the keys to my car and a brown paper bag full of $100,000, begging to swap...
Your gorgeous 993 Turbo S + $100k USD for Speedy? I'm speechless. (That doesn't happen much )

I thought I'd share my thoughts about curve lover, the man. Here goes...

What a guy! I contacted him to enquire about his 19" Sport Classic wheels and didn't get a reply; I realised from the threads that he's getting contact from the four corners of the globe so I didn't feel snubbed.

What was actually happening was that the guy got my PM, starting typing and didn't stop for 7 days, with great dollops of friendship, encouragement, love for all things Porsche. WOW! If curve lover is agreeable then I'm going to ask him to write my eulogy!
Now, THAT's ^^ an honor I hope I never live to fulfill ... may you far out-live me, sharing your contagious joy & passion with others through posts like this, etc., with many others long after I'm a memory.

So I have ordered the same wheels for my car and I CAN'T WAIT to get them.
Can't wait to see 'em!

My wife is recovering from a serious ordeal with cancer
I had no idea about your wife 'til I read your post I hope these holidays are bringing the both of you all the best in good cheer for recovery. So sorry to hear this! From your Private Messages & this post, it's obvious she has incredible support from you & all of your friends. That's a blessing any time of the year, & especially during this holiday season. I hope things take a turn for the better; would be more important than any of the cars we talk about here.

we've some friends that have lent us some pretty wild machinery over recent weeks, saying that she needs to get the wind back through her hair. Ferrari, Maserati, Lamborghini, Maclaren-no BS these are some fantastic cars!

But you know what? They are TOO good for everyday use. I got back into my (tiny) 993 and loved it.

A guy like curve lover and a car like "Speedy" make me understand that it's not always about driving fast. With great cars like 993s, which are seen less and less as days go by, it's about going S-L-O-W; thanks Jager, for a great lesson.

You guys are really lucky to have a guy like this in your lives, what enthusiasm! what passion!

Thanks one and all for reading and thanks for posting such great threads.

I'll try to stick some photos when the wheels are on my car.
Hey! We're waiting In all seriousness: I know these wheels can be hard to get, but I was shocked to read in your latest PM about the delay. It will just make ownership that much more rewarding when they arrive.

Speaking of waiting, I just today read the inspiring PM you sent a while back. Please check for my response soon!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:49 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Of my 993, I'm behind re: relating developments on this thread of the last couple years. I won't attempt to capture everything now, but a segue to one 2013 highlight (I try to include a photo with every post):

So there's no doubt the "Speedy" is the bomb (or whatever you yankees say)
At 2013's Legends of the Autobahn Concours in Monterey, CA, PCA 'Past President' Prescott Kelly personally judged Speedy & agreed with whatever you call her ... as long as that's "first in class"

It was a day filled with amazing RLers & I came away feeling very fortunate to leave with memories that made the trophy a mere bonus in comparison to the experience of meeting up with fellow enthusiasts in person & seeing their passion for their Porsches.

A big thank you to photographer David Grube of AllCarCentral.com for e-mailing these 2 photos.
Click for the rest of his gallery - allCarCentral.com's "Legends of the Autobahn 2013," & this write-up:
Originally Posted by David Grube

The fifth annual Legends Of The Autobahn concours d'elegance and show is stated as "A celebration of German automotive engineering".

The 'Legends' Show is supported by members of the BMW Car Club of America, the Mercedes-Benz Club of America, the Porsche Club of America, and the Audi Club of North America, however non members are welcomed as viewers. The Club members display for judging a wide selection of rare and special cars as well as their prized street machines.
Click for a direct link to Mr. Grube's highly high-resolution original: imageshack.us/a/img268/5753/wn7d.jpg

Douglas-- A shot of 'your' new shoes to tide you over 'til they arrive

Old 12-29-2013, 01:08 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

For years, I've solicited help to simply find the original color version of a old black & white scan of a certain Christmas card.

Yesterday, a RLer blew me away with a tremendous showing of the Christmas spirit:

...not just taking the time to magically colorize it, but making it even much more memorable & personal.
I can't even fathom how much time this took to create, or how to properly appreciate such generous acts of incredible kindness fellow RLers share with each other; exemplifying holiday cheer.
At the least, I want to post it here for others to see -- another example of what makes this place so great

Old 12-29-2013, 01:48 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by curve lover
FrenchT-- Ah shucks. I'm the one that should be posting more accolades about you & other RLers that have made my journey with 'Speedy' so much the better!

IMHO, this Christmas-colored graphic of yours is beyond cool
Have you considered making/ selling shirts or poster prints? I'm thinking serious potential
Thank you very much. That means a lot.

If there is interest in a shirt, I would be happy to pursue the venture. However, I believe it looks better in its original color scheme!

IMHO, your rare RUF turbo hard-top cab approaches the top of the list of cars I'd absolutely LUV to experience in person
The factory hardtop - super cool indeed! Oh yeah, and the RUF part too. Be safe and enjoy!

<Holiday GIF> in above post
Wait. Are you trying to tell us (or show us, rather) that you live at the North Pole!? The guy driving looks an awful lot like Santa Claus. Also there is Mrs. Claus, Rudolph, and an elf! Or did you just loan them your car? And I see why some people's presents come late: they get lost in the snow as they go flying about.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-29-2013, 12:20 PM
boxcarracer
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 40 Posts

Love your car (and this thread)!
It is definitely one of, if not the most, iconic cars of the forum.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:56 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Anyone bidding on this beauty ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=271371094543

Old 01-31-2014, 05:18 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've been out of town for a couple months & mostly away from the internet.
...other than brief 'relapses' like Dec 28, where you can see (above) that I got back on RL

I'm finally home, & happy to find the following in the mail!
Organizers mentioned they'd send my prize, but I don't deserve anything this nice.

A wonderful souvenir of a beautiful day meeting RLers at San Diego's Shelter Island!
...where they ran out of trophies

Old 01-31-2014, 05:31 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FrenchToast

Thank you very much. That means a lot.
Just stating my opinion, so take it for what it's worth!
IMHO, you've got a good eye for design & the skills to bring your ideas to life. Your current avatar's a good example

If there is interest in a shirt, I would be happy to pursue the venture. However, I believe it looks better in its original color scheme!
Sounds good. Care to share the original scheme - white and red?

Wait. The guy driving looks like Santa Claus.

Not "anatomically correct"
However, Santa definitely has a red sleigh!

Happy Holidays!
THANK YOU

^^ Photography İ flickr.com's deansouglass
Old 01-31-2014, 05:54 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by boxcarracer

Love your car (and this thread)!

It is definitely one of, if not the most, iconic cars of the forum.
Wow, Luigi, sincere words like yours may be worth more than any trophy.
Thank you SO much. As I bet you've experienced with your rockin' red ride, it's nice when other enthusiasts appreciate your rolling artwork.

I've always admired how you represent yours. For example, you have 1 of the best-executed user videos on RL (Shout out to ProducerJohn, too!)

I can't wait 'til the sequel:
Originally Posted by boxcarracer

next year I'll do a reshoot. Beats only and more motor sound so I can cater to a wider audience.
Plus, due to you, I now have a new goal destination to visit to some day: the Interlaken Porsche show!

Maybe I'm just biased for reds, but I simply LUV your 993, & tasteful style with which you've captured it. So well done

Luigi in action:

Old 01-31-2014, 06:05 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 979 Likes on 433 Posts

Beautiful and much deserved trophies for a truly stunning car.

Car's owner is a fairly decent guy too.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:36 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by FlatSix911
You know how to pick 'em, Ted!
Speaking of bidding, that 1989's on the lot for more than $168k USD.

On JDHertz11's thread, I posted 2 1994 Speedsters that seem to be appreciating, each going for $180k:
A black 964 & a yellow 964.

Likewise, here's a 1994 Strosek for $139,000.

Back to '89s like your red specimen:
Silver for sale @ ~$145,000.

Yellow that sold for that amount: $145k.

Wrapping up with this Baltic Blue beauty (below) @ $200k.

Whether they're just asking prices or accurately reported sales figures, these examples of air-cooled Speedsters around the globe seem to show accruing value in the eyes of the international market.
(Time will tell long-term trends of water-cooled Speedsters like the 997s.)

Old 02-01-2014, 03:59 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by timothymoffat

Car's owner is a fairly decent guy.
...but has a face only a momma could LUV, God bless her heart!
Originally Posted by timothymoffat

Beautiful and much deserved trophies for a truly stunning car.
Thanks, sir! ...but I swear there were cleaner 911s present. In fact, the Mexico Blue reflected on Speedy's fender in the above picture was a perfect specimen. It's owned by great friends.

I'm just lucky the judging was over before the world's largest, diarrheic seagull took aim at Speedy. It was simultaneously disgusting, embarrassing & hilarious ... & totally unsanitary ... but sometimes ya just gotta laugh at life.

It was a scene out of a bad Saturday Night Live skit: Speedy went from being red, black, & shiny to red, white, & crappy!
The wife of my friend in the Mex Blau 911 was amazing help: during my stunned "did that really just happen?" moment, she was already grabbing a brush, finding someone with tonneau cleaner, & leaping into action.

It was such a crazy moment -- at a concours no less! -- that I kind of wanted a photo to document the irony, but luckily she & I washed off the airborne clusterbomb in seconds.

By the way: the Speedster top & windows were up during the dive-bomber's ambush. Must've been a target sign placed on my fabric top, because it was instantly more white than black after the bird let loose!

Stand back from the blast radius:
Just moments before the over-fed bird's attack...

^^ Photography İ & courtesy of Mark Fagan, masiman@hotmail.com.
Old 02-01-2014, 05:04 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Your current avatar's a good example
Why thank you! About my current avatar:

For the last U.S. winter Olympics, Audi shipped over ten allroads in Sprint Blue to be used exclusively by the Olympic participants. Afterwards, the allroads were sold to the public. The ten Sprint Blue cars continue to be a sought-after color.

So, the blue allroad is a nod to the upcoming Olympics.

Just stating my opinion, so take it for what it's worth!
I think your opinion is pretty highly respected!

By the way: the Speedster top & windows were up during the dive-bomber's ambush.
Hey, just be glad they weren't DOWN!

Oh, and I've been waiting for a chance to use this smiley!

Take care,

Last edited by FrenchToast; 02-02-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I've been waiting for a chance to use this smiley!

Well played!

Old 02-03-2014, 08:50 AM
RP993
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

white speedster with riviera blue hardtop:

(matching to the calipers)
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rennlist/ PCA member's 993 SPEEDSTER