Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    

Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > Air/Oil Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 993 Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 04-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default How to remove glove box?

I'm finally trying to replace a CR-1 head unit and it's wedged in there pretty good. If I understand correctly, the glove box can be removed to give the head unit a good push from behind.

Of course p-car.com is down and I can't look it up there. So... I've removed the three screws on the bottom of the glove box door. Removed the four screws inside the glove box 9two on top, two on the sides. Not the door is held in place by it's side plastic hinges and it's not letting the glove box slide out. How do I remove it?

Or am I simply full of it and should not be taking the glove box out to remove CR-1? I have taken its face frame off and put the little sliders in the middle position. Tried to pull it out by the cassette bay - it's not even budging.

Thanks in advance!
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

Mike.S, HWFMR cold climate rep / autocross junkie

Because, my dear, you can bottle this
And sell it at a masochist convention
nile13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Black993
Super User

turbo4door@gmail.com JM1920
Send a message via AIM to Black993

You really shouldn't need to remove the glove box. Are you using the radio release keys?
Black993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #3
matt777
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem. I was installing a new Alpine deck and there are some prongs that capture the ars end of the deck and made it difficult to get it in the last 1/2" or so. I had to remove the glovebox to see what was happening. I searched the archives (in the good ole days) and found that you have to pull hard on the glovebox arms to get it out (right side I think). I believe the left side was easy except that wires get snagged on the hook. I was nervous because I did not want to break the arms and have to go shopping. If you're issue was the keys then forget the above.
'95 993 - Polar Silver/Chestnut, PSS10 / H&R sways / short ratio G50 / LWF / Drilled Airbox / SSK Golden Rod / Fister Stage IIs / Wide Ovals / HIDs / Alpine / Rod Birch subs/ADI/ PPI /JL Audio /Steve Wong chip / RS motor mounts
'58 356A Coupe - a little rough around the edges
'70 911E Coupe - a bit of a project

Old 04-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #4
Black993
Super User

turbo4door@gmail.com JM1920
Send a message via AIM to Black993

If you need the keys, they are easy to make out of any spare thin metal. I have a set of home-made keys if you need them. They certainly aren't pretty, but they work
Black993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #5
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Justin, as far as I know, CR-1 does not use a key removal system. Instead, there are two little sliders on the front that need to be put in the middle position and then the unit should, in theory, slide out. Could someone confirm this?

As far as glove box... ouch. I feel really uncomfortable pulling it. There is a narrow slot that holds the hinges in. What's at the end of the hinge? Plastic? Rubber?

Old 04-16-2009, 09:06 PM   #6
Arena993
Super User

Location: Franklin, TN Where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Baptist church, they pay cops to be crossing guards, everything is closed on Sundays, can't buy beer in a liquor store and the Civil War is still being fought.

CR-1 does not have keys. Mike it will come out but the sliders need to be perfectly aligned. Also it would be easier to pull the climate control box out if you need to push from behind rather than removing the glove box. Also jhummel and I tried for 45 minute to get his CR-1 out. It did come out, but it took awhile.

Mike
Arena993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
davesnothere
Addict
Rennlist Member

Try this:

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...le-repair.html

Can't help you with the CR-1, but I removed by glovebox when I hardwired my V1 and lived to tell the tale. If you visualize the side pieces as hooks it may help, you know "go up to go down," that sort of zen thing.

- Dave
davesnothere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #8
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave, I think this is what I needed, thanks! If I do end up needing to remove the glove box, this should help.

Mike, I tired to pull CR-1 out but I have nothing to grab onto and it's stuck in there solid. I think I must push from the back of the head unit somehow. If i do remove the Climate Control panel, is that removed with the U-shaped key? For CR-1, do the little sliders need to be in the middle? They move absolutely freely up and down, I would expect some resistance and a click when they unlatch?

Old 04-17-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Arena993
Super User

Location: Franklin, TN Where you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a Baptist church, they pay cops to be crossing guards, everything is closed on Sundays, can't buy beer in a liquor store and the Civil War is still being fought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nile13 View Post
Dave, I think this is what I needed, thanks! If I do end up needing to remove the glove box, this should help.

Mike, I tired to pull CR-1 out but I have nothing to grab onto and it's stuck in there solid. I think I must push from the back of the head unit somehow. If i do remove the Climate Control panel, is that removed with the U-shaped key? For CR-1, do the little sliders need to be in the middle? They move absolutely freely up and down, I would expect some resistance and a click when they unlatch?
1. The CCU is removed with the U-shaped key
2. The sliders do need to be in the middle for CR-1 removal
3. I kept my fingers in the cassette opening and lined up the sliders in the middle and then pulled.

Mike
Arena993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
jhummel68
User

For the CR-1 we had to pull hard - real hard even though the sliders were aligned correctly. We did take the CCU out to help "push" from the back. I can't say any one thing worked for us. We just kept at it until the radio came out. Once it was out we couldn't tell what was holding it in other than the sliders. It is just a real tight fit. I haven't taken the shift **** off my car, but it sounds like the same thing - just keep pulling and it will eventually give.
jhummel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM   #11
95C4VanIsle
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, any additional insight you can provide once finished with the project would be appreciated. I will be doing the same thing next month when I pick up the CDR-210 I ordered. As far as the keys go, I ordered some for my car at the nearest Porsche dealer because they said I needed them to get the radio out. Maybe they aren't really necessary.

Did you just pry the faceplate off?

Thanks

Great DIY Site:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com
95C4VanIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:50 AM
Rennlist

Paid Advertisement

Tags
914, 993, box, cayenne, compartment, dimensions, glove, glovebox, legacy, porsche, removal, remove, removing, rennlist, subaru, suparu, wrx