Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

RIVI BLUE CAB - My RSD project many pics

Old 04-03-2009, 10:10 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RIVI BLUE CAB - My RSD project many pics

A couple of years ago I bought a used RSD for around $250.00. I got it on Craigslist and all the guy told me is that it was Cahmere Beige. Once it delivered I saw that someone had cut 2 holes in it for 10" subs. I never saw the holes as they were covered by the carpet. It was still a good deal and I knew that I would be using it for another project anyway. So here it goes.

This is the way I got the RSD

You can see here that the PO had cut the holes for the sub woofers. Not a big fan of the holes. They will be filled here shortly.

Here I have removed all the doors and carpet from the RSD. Not much to these things. I still think it would be hard to replicate.

With all the carpet, doors and hardware removed I am ready to trace the pattern for the 1/4" Birch panel that will cover the sub woofer holes.

I clamped the 1/4" Birch panel to the RSD and traced out the exact pattern. Once the pattern was traced out off to the scroll saw I went. You can see here the new top installed giving a level surface for the new carpet.

To secure the new Birch panel on the RSD I used construction adhesive on the RSD part and the Birch panel.

On the Birch panel as well. Couple of cigs to the left. Don't tell the wifey

Now that the two panels have been mated I screwed them together for extra strength. Screwed and glued for a better mounting surface.

This is the old carpet laying on the new black Sliverknit. When you are doing this you want to cut a rough pattern leaving a lot of extra carpet. You do the final trim when gluing it down.

The next pic is mounting and stapling the carpet. I stapled the carpet from the underside as that is the way it came from the factory. It is also glued as well. The glue I used was the 3M Spray Adhesive.

Here the top is done and looking good

As you can see from the pictures the doors are Cashmere Beige. I am going to dye them black to match the interior.

Here is a picture of the door that has a small cut. I have sanded the vinyl and am getting ready to fill in the imperfections.

The doors were completely disassembled and taped off before the dying began. I used SEM Landau Black. A great match. The color code is 15013.

This is the backside of the door completed.

Here is the finished front door.

These are the "roll bars" for a lack of better terminology. I sanded them down with 180 grit and put a new fresh coat of black on them. Once they dry we are ready to install the RSD.

The RSD is done and mocked fit in the car. Looks a lot better from where it started. I did all this myself for $36.00 in parts and a good long day to complete.

And a thanks goes to Andreas for the help in posting this (text between the pics). Owe you a

Mike
Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Looks very nice! If I didn't need to drive my 11-year old around back there once in a while...
Old 04-03-2009, 10:23 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can see why you haven't been posting on here. That RSD looks good! Now let's get that car painted!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike-- Very well done. As I've posted before, congrats on such a Craigslist score. A great-looking $286, & thanks for the DIY!
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by jhummel68
I can see why you haven't been posting on here. That RSD looks good! Now let's get that car painted!
Next week is the scheduled date. The shop was behind on a job they were finishing. It's not like I don't have anything else to do.

Mike
Old 04-03-2009, 10:49 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Mike,
Excellent write-up! I can't wait to see pics of that beast in the paint booth!

Andreas
Old 04-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your shelf rocks!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:08 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great, Mike!

Where did you buy the Silverknit carpet?
Old 04-04-2009, 07:24 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike - When I did my RSD mod a few years ago, I removed the tan vinyl covering off the bin doors and replaced them with black leather (my RSD is tan carpet with black bin doors to match my tan/black two-tone interior). The bin doors are easily disassembled and recovering them is not a difficult job.

Not sure if your RSD came out of a cab but if it did then there should be the solenoid remote activated locks underneath. I haven't gotten around to figuring out the wiring but I'll get around to it one day...automatic locking bin doors would be great to have for time I leave the car parked with the top down.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:14 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I continue to be amazed at your work and can't wait to see the finished product.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by aribop
Looks great, Mike!

Where did you buy the Silverknit carpet?
www.gahh.com

I got my Sport Seat covers from them as well. I have used them many times in the past. A great company to deal with.

Mike
Old 04-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by David in LA
Mike - When I did my RSD mod a few years ago, I removed the tan vinyl covering off the bin doors and replaced them with black leather (my RSD is tan carpet with black bin doors to match my tan/black two-tone interior). The bin doors are easily disassembled and recovering them is not a difficult job.

Not sure if your RSD came out of a cab but if it did then there should be the solenoid remote activated locks underneath. I haven't gotten around to figuring out the wiring but I'll get around to it one day...automatic locking bin doors would be great to have for time I leave the car parked with the top down.

I disassembled the doors for dying. I thought about recovering them, but my punch list is forever long and I have to keep that in mind as well as costs. This car has not been cheap and is taking a long time. My interior is all black. I am also putting in a new carpet set. This will take a lot of time as well.

The RSD does have the remote activated locking mechanism (didn't they all?) There was no harness in the car as it came with the seats in the rear. I may get with you on the diagram for wiring it up, but that may be a weekend project down the road.

Mike
Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Very nice. Question: If I remove my rear seats can I get the just the replacement carpet pieces to replace the seat bottoms?
Old 04-04-2009, 11:58 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work as always Mike!
Old 04-04-2009, 01:03 PM
KMASS993
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Mike,

You don't by any chance still have the template that you used to cut the top piece do you? I would be interested in grabbing that from you as I am thinking about crafting my own RSD. PM me if you still have it. Thanks!

Regards

Kevin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RIVI BLUE CAB - My RSD project many pics