993 Forum 1995-1998

Optima Red Top not holding charge

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:46 PM
dmcentee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima Red Top not holding charge

I put a new Optima Red Top battery in my 993 about 3 years ago and after 2 years it seemed to stop holding a charge. I had it replaced on warranty at no cost; but now my current Red Top is also not holding a charge.

Sometimes I don't drive my car for a few weeks at a time - but it seems like a battery that is less than a year old should be able to retain a charge for a few weeks.

How can I determine if my charging system is at fault or if it's the battery?
Is there a better battery to use?
Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Probably the battery. I've had nothing but problems with the Red Top. Gone thru 3 or 4 in as many years (2 different 993's). Mine get weak after 3 weeks too.

Have you checked current draws when off? That's one thing I need to do.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:50 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

In the owners manual it says to lock the car all the time. This turns off the drive block system. If left on you will have a draw. Try that.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Probably the battery. I've had nothing but problems with the Red Top. Gone thru 3 or 4 in as many years (2 different 993's). Mine get weak after 3 weeks too.

Have you checked current draws when off? That's one thing I need to do.
+1
My car had a Diehard in it when I bought it. It was old, I let it go flat a couple times (took a LONG time) and it was a goner. I wanted the BEST battery for infrequent use, so I bought an *Optima*. Yea, problem solved!!! Yeah, right. After two attempts (Red Top, Yellow Top, they both failed in a short time), I went to NAPA and got their standard 75 mo. battery - $72 with a discount coupon I had. So far it's outlasted the Optima's. Total POS's if you ask me.

Last edited by Bearclaw; 01-14-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:03 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think part of this is that not all trickle/floating chargers are up to the job for gel batteries. I'm not sure what the issue is but I had repeated failures with my red tops until I upgraded my charger to one that specifically said it worked with gel batteries. Two years on now and no problems (yet).
Old 01-14-2009, 05:33 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
I think part of this is that not all trickle/floating chargers are up to the job for gel batteries. I'm not sure what the issue is but I had repeated failures with my red tops until I upgraded my charger to one that specifically said it worked with gel batteries. Two years on now and no problems (yet).
Odd since Optima is not a gel battery. It's just a sealed battery.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:45 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

My Optima red top lasted less than a year. And I keep my doors locked when the car is in the garage.

Curiously, my far less expensive, generic Advance Auto battery (made by Johnson Controls) has served me quite well.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:00 PM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a heavy equipment rental company and we only use the Optima batteries in equipment that has sever vibiration that is what they are good for. They perform no better than a good standard battery. In fact standard batteries last longer. And if you want a battery that can be drained down and recharged in cycles you are best of with a deep cycle battery.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:07 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Optima's are AGM batteries which require totally different charging regimes.

Recharging an Optima with a standard, normal charger shortens its life appreciably so one should use a CTEK charger that will do AGM batteries.

I have two of them in various cars including my 911 and I typically get 4-5 years from each one. I do use disconnect switches to prevent small current draws from depleting the battery during long periods of storage.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually I believe they are gel - that's why you can presumably break them open and they won't leak. A sealed battery is just that, a regular lead-acid battery with no open vent.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:25 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I thought I had a problem with my odyssey 925 battery... but as it turns out, once I installed a battery cut-off, the problem has resolved.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:08 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Barney1
In the owners manual it says to lock the car all the time. This turns off the drive block system. If left on you will have a draw. Try that.

I have been leaving my car unlocked in the garage thinking I was saving the battery. Duh. Guess I should re-read the manual.

I had an Optima Red Top that last two years and was replaced under warranty. I used the regular porsche charger on it numerous times. I'm doing the same thing with my current Optima battery. If this battery doesn't perform any better, I'll be going back to a 'regular' one.

chuck
Old 01-14-2009, 11:50 PM
Crimson Nape Racing
Addict
Rennlist Member

Chuck - I have the red top and Porsche charger also. The first red top lasted less than a year, the second one is now going on it's third year (I think) w/o any problems. I think quality control is an issue with those guys.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:17 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
Chuck - I have the red top and Porsche charger also. The first red top lasted less than a year, the second one is now going on it's third year (I think) w/o any problems. I think quality control is an issue with those guys.
Third year-that's good to know. I plug in the charger and it never really 'runs' that long. Seems like this battery is holding a charge pretty well.
Good to hear from you Bob.

chuck
Old 01-15-2009, 12:25 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Crimson Nape Racing
Third year-that's good to know. I plug in the charger and it never really 'runs' that long. Seems like this battery is holding a charge pretty well.
Good to hear from you Bob.

chuck

Quick Reply: Optima Red Top not holding charge