Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

subwoofer in passenger footwell?

Old 12-01-2008, 09:26 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default subwoofer in passenger footwell?

Does anyone have (or know of someone who has) a subwoofer box mounted in in the front passenger footwell compartment up below the dash? I've seen some custom made ones in older 911s and JL Audio has some configured like this but mostly for recent model cars and no Porsches. TIA
JL Audio Stealthbox

Here's one for a Lotus...wish Rod Birch or someone would make something similar for 993s
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2008, 09:49 AM
Smindustries
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I happen to have a Lotus and looked into JL's Stealthbox. It's awful. It takes up too much space and unless your passengers are amputees, the box will get kicked and the mesh grille will sustain a fair amount of damage.

Talk to Mr. Bock about his solution. It's pretty trick.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

http://www.billjehle.com/PORSCHE/index.html

You might try Jamey Rawlings (PORSCHETUNES@aol.com) also, when I had my system installed, Jamey had severl of Bill's boxes at his shop.

David, PM me if you want Jamey's phone number.

Last edited by Kika; 12-01-2008 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one in a Boxster I owned a while back. It sounded great. It did make the passanger compartment a lot less comfortable, but I did alot of commuting by my self back then so it wasn't a big deal.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Rudolph
Advanced

The previous owner of my car had custom enclosures for the subs made to fit in the doors (the subs are visually undetectable). All the speakers in my car are made by MTX. The sound is unbelievable, simply the best stereo I own. My wife laughs at me because sometimes she finds me in the garage sitting in my 993 and listening to music (usually with a glass of wine in my hand).
Old 12-03-2008, 06:37 PM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rudolph
My wife laughs at me because sometimes she finds me in the garage sitting in my 993 and listening to music (usually with a glass of wine in my hand).
I thought I was the only one!
Old 12-03-2008, 07:22 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I have a custom made sub box in the passenger footwell in my 96 cab. It is angled so takes up some room on the left but not all the pasenger room. People obviously notice it but I have sat there and its not that bad (theres not a huge amount of foot room in there in any event!). But 90% of the time there is no passenger so who cares

I looked at backseat subs but have used the backseats on occasion and I thought the footwell install was cleaner. The sub can be removed in 2 minutes if need be.

It is a JL sub with a custom enclosure. I had high end door speakers installed with an amp but with the top down you just couldnt get the volume and base you needed with the sub. Am very happy with the sub as it added the needed depth for the lower end (the shop blew the 1st door speakers trying to push more bass through them) and at +60mph with the top down, you can get serious volume and clarity (or at least as much as you need given the listening environment)

I would think any custom shop can make it for you and the angled install works well.

Looks like you have a cab so if you want volume with some lower end, I think the sub is needed and a great add to your sound system (ya ya the engine is music etc etc )
Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Pioneer makes a slim subwoofer that is not as deep a sthe traditional subwoofer. I haven't heard them, so I can't comment on the sound quality, but it is worth looking into.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:41 PM
ste993
Pro

Originally Posted by Rudolph
My wife laughs at me because sometimes she finds me in the garage sitting in my 993 and listening to music (usually with a glass of wine in my hand).
Hehe, I do that too and will stay for at least a couple of glasses because that's where my wine cellar is too!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by vern1
I have a custom made sub box in the passenger footwell in my 96 cab. It is angled so takes up some room on the left but not all the pasenger room. People obviously notice it but I have sat there and its not that bad (theres not a huge amount of foot room in there in any event!). But 90% of the time there is no passenger so who cares

I looked at backseat subs but have used the backseats on occasion and I thought the footwell install was cleaner. The sub can be removed in 2 minutes if need be.

It is a JL sub with a custom enclosure. I had high end door speakers installed with an amp but with the top down you just couldnt get the volume and base you needed with the sub. Am very happy with the sub as it added the needed depth for the lower end (the shop blew the 1st door speakers trying to push more bass through them) and at +60mph with the top down, you can get serious volume and clarity (or at least as much as you need given the listening environment)

I would think any custom shop can make it for you and the angled install works well.

Looks like you have a cab so if you want volume with some lower end, I think the sub is needed and a great add to your sound system (ya ya the engine is music etc etc )
Any chance you have a pic? Yes I have a cab but most likely this will be for a coupe (whose engine sound is actually quite lacking )

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:44 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

I wont be able to get a pic for a while as the car is stored for the winter , however the dimensions are roughly that it runs from halfway across to bottom of the passenger footwell at a 45degree angle to the left side of the passenger well and its a 10inch sub. As mentioned it was a custom job and you could go for a smaller sub.

The installer also had installed small subs up under the dash on the passenger side for other customers. However for a cab (with a Fabspeed exhaust) he recommended the 10" and no complaints. Actually cant imagine the system without it.

I would just go to a higher end audio shop and ask what they can do. Not a complicated install for guys who know what they are doing.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

I would think the area BEHIND the passenger seat would be a better location. I do have a passenger here and there and they are usually women under 5'6" ;-)
Old 12-04-2008, 10:35 AM
Smiles
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bluejam
I would think the area BEHIND the passenger seat would be a better location. I do have a passenger here and there and they are usually women under 5'6" ;-)
That's where mine is (installed by a PO) and it works fine. It does take out two inches or something from the rearmost seat position, but the subwoofer certainly isn't as vulnerable as it is in the Lotus pictured above.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:19 PM
tankertoad
Instructor

Default Jamey

Old thread, I know...

I can vouch for the awesomeness of Jamey Rawlings' front footwell sub enclosure. I had one in my 993. It was invisible, kept the soundstage up front, and the shallow 8" driver produced tight, accurate bass. It did take about six inches of room from the passenger but, like someone else said, it was relatively rare that I drove with one.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Linnm
Pro

I have an 8"sub on each side of the footwell for the back seats and a 10"mounted under the hood. Works very well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: subwoofer in passenger footwell?