993 Forum 1995-1998

Screech/Squeal on start-up

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 03:00 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, it turned out not to be the heater blower after all. The noise came back. I then pulled the distributor, checked it for free rotation and end play, and checked the caps/rotors for interference. All good. Noise still there. Next I checked the torque on all 12 spark plugs (major PITA). Noise persists.

I decided to replace the starter, because the noise occurred only at the exact moment when the starter gear would be disengaging from the flywheel, never at any other time, and I had exhausted every other possible cause we could come up with.

Genuine Porsche rebuilt starter from Pelican was $152.25, ordered Monday, arrived Tuesday morning, installed that afternoon, noise is GONE!

The Golden Wrench Award is transferred to grwoolf and Chris Walrod, both of whom suggested the starter as the culprit. Mega thanks to all who participated in this quest!
Old 11-26-2008, 03:08 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice.

Did you replace the starter ? Easy DIY ?
Old 11-26-2008, 05:15 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

No, I took it to my favorite shop, Precision Motion in Riverside, CA. Dropped it off around 1 PM, expecting to get it back the next day, but they called at 3:30 and said it was ready. Whoever did the work must have an asbestos arm--I've done starters on my 911s before, and had to lie on my back under the car and hug the transmission to get the top starter bolt out.

There is a good DIY article on this at http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...er_Replacement, and it doesn't look too difficult, but more work than on an SC, because you have to take an axle loose, and take out part of the heater plumbing.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys I am resurrecting this old thread due to a "whistling" that I hear on startup. It goes up and down in pitch a bit with engine speed. My little boy ssays it sounds like a tea kettle that has just reached a boil, which is just about right.

So....is that the little tensioner wheel that runs on the fan belt? The belts themselves? Someone in this thread said the SAI pump makes a whistling sound---but shouldn't that shut off after two minutes. We just drove about 4 miles (@ 12 minutes) and the tea kettle was still whistling.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:08 PM
tigerrat
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the SAI pump should go off and it wouldn't change pitch. But the sound is about right. You can tie the tension sensor back to check it. Not a HVAC fan?

This won't help but I struggled with a squeal on start-up a few weeks ago so read all the threads. Happened when reving the engine in the garage. Turned out I was setting off the motion sensor on the other Porsche! I went nuts chasing it. Good luck, Ken
Old 03-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Jack of Hearts
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay--I stuck a cotter key extractor in the center hole of the tension sensor and pulled it away from the belt--that was the tea kettle all right.

(I love Rennlist.)
Old 03-03-2009, 02:37 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

had the same sound i think this winter, have 125k on the car 97 c2 cab went away very quick after startup. was the bearing in the alt.
he replaced the little plastic fan that looked ok. said it cooled the diodes. asked if i ever lost a belt and told me the fans get brittle with heat, can fail and vibrate so he put in new. glad he did, said belt pieces were in the alt, and "all over"
squeal/ sound gone.
i looked at the fan, looked good to me, but did seem brittle. my .02 david.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:18 PM
artysan
3rd Gear

Default Screeching, belt or bearing

Originally Posted by grwoolf
Could it possibly be the starter staying engaged with the flywheel for a second after the engine starts? ... It would be hard to mistake it for slipping belts, much more metallic, more like a failing bearing.
I have dealt with that in the past and now have what the op is describing. The hanging starter gear is a screaming metallic whine. I would describe a belt or belt-related bearing sound as a chalkboard screech. So tending towards belt or roller or maybe, waterpump freezing up against the back of the cam belt?

Mine has now added just today a rapid rise in water temp when revs are low to idle. Temp immediately returns to normal with driving revs.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:20 PM
artysan
3rd Gear

sorry, wrong forum due to computer crash.. no, really
Old 11-19-2012, 11:50 AM
unclespeed
Rennlist Member

Eversince my dad got to drive the car for a ralley, I have had this sound when revving the engine (just for a half second or so). Could it somehow be clutch related? Reason being, he overreved a gear hard once or twice and the clutch got 'stuck' since he didn't release it fast enough. If I recall correctly, it made the screech then and now (randomly) when idle and revving / at start up. Doesn't always do it - just sometimes...

Quick Reply: Screech/Squeal on start-up