993 Forum 1995-1998

RSR/Cup flares - Questions - X-post

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:56 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool RSR/Cup flares - Questions - X-post

Toying with the idea of pulling the trigger on that RS replica I mentioned (alternative B in my recent thread), and turning it into GT2-look. The RS package looks very nice as well with the OEM speedlines so I can also chose to leave it as is. It's just I have always loved the look of the GT2 .

Car is a '96 993 C2 X51 3.8L RS clone that I am looking at. Someone spent a fortune on this car: big reds, oem rscs aerokit, OEM speedlines ($$), sunroof delete, full leather interior, gt3 buckets, white guage faces, techart fully functional ducts, SS brakelines, RS rear mats, heigo half roll cage, RS suspension, RSR's, RS strut brace, you name it .. Speedy yellow/black, 25.xxx miles / 44.000kms.. If I get my DACH pipes on there, then a nice live remap it might bring the HP from 300 to 310-320 range.. . Then lateron RS clutch/LWF, RS motor mounts etc etc.. sure sounds promising..

Ok, now to the questions. I have been looking at the RSR/Cup flare package for NB cars from FVD:

http://shop.fvd.de/de/en/Porsche-0/-...lares-993.html

1. Will GT2 speedlines fit under the RSR flares?

FVD has previously offered a set of "street GT2 Speedlines". Exact replicas of the OEM GT2 speedlines, only difference being that they have alu centers instead of mag centers, which makes them more suitable for street use.

Sizes are:

Front
9x18 ET34

Rear
11x18 ET18

I have read in previous threads that the OEM GT2 flares are actually a little too wide for the wheels. Maybe if I use 285 on the 11"s in the back I can make them fit?? Also in previous threads people said that 11" or even 12" wheels will fit under RSR/Cup flares. The focus here should be on wheel offset, not wheel width. So for those of you with RSR/Cup flares, what are your widths/offsets? (Priceton for example?). Other please chime in. I guess if I have the wheels mounted on the car while fitting the flares it should be easier. I just need to know if it's possible at all..?

2. Fitting the FVD RSR flare kit, is it recommended swapping the NB rear bumper cover for a turbo/C2S/C4S bumper cover? Even if it's not mandatory, would it help making more space in the back for the speedlines when fitting the flares?

3. Is a full respray recommended (or is it a must?) when cutting the fenders and fitting the RSR flares? Or would a skilled body shop not need to paint the whole car but rather just the front fenders and the area around the rear fenders (blending into the rest of the car)?

Lot's of question marks here.. Anotherone for the crowd: Which do you like better, RS look or GT2 look?

Thanks guys, have a great weekend

Last edited by V; 04-05-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 PM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT2 for me all the way.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car has RSR body work (from Getty Design). I fit 10.5" rims up front and 12" rims in the back (with 11" and 13" slicks) with plenty of room. The 3-piece Jongbloed wheels were made to fit the bodywork (ie: custom offsets to ensure a proper fit)

Quick Reply: RSR/Cup flares - Questions - X-post