Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: How are your center tailights looking?
Dry as a bone, always have been
58.73%
A little dewey, from time to time
33.33%
Leaky as a sieve, I think I need an Ark
7.94%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

water leak in rear taillight assembly

Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
So...... who has found a solution to this problem and is willing to share?
I do not use the garden hose nozzle at full blast when I wash the car anymore.

I removed the left, right and center taillight assemblies last winter and can't recall if there were vent tube (pointing downwards) on the backs of any of the assemblies.

If the light sockets are a bayonet mount with O-ring, use some silicone grease on the O-rings. That might help.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:10 PM
SkiDan
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Cool - can you elaborate on the disassembly process? Last time I had it out, I could not see how."

I removed the unit from the car and disconnected the lights. The lens is glued to the housing with a type of black sealant. I started the removal process by softening the sealant by heating it with a hair dryer. I then inserted a narrow, fine flat head scewdriver between the lens and the housing and worked my way around to break the seal.

I believe there are two tabs on the top edge of the lens that snap into slots in the housing. You can see them by examining the edge of the housing. You have to work the sealant around them carefully with the screwdriver and lift the slot off the tab. It can be done without breaking anything. When you have loosened the integrity of the old sealant and unhooked the tabs, the lens will separate from the housing.

While I had the two pieces apart, I gave the inside a good cleaning. The rectangular area of the housing behind the Porsche lettering is painted metallic grey. The finish on mine was somewhat dull so I masked the area and spray painted it. I was relieved to find that the sockets for the back-up lights showed no signs of rust or corrosion.

When I was finished scraping off as much of the old sealant as possible (with particular attention to the area of the tabs), I put about a 3/8 inch (5 mm) bead of GE Silicone II (100% Silicone, clear) all the way around the lip of the housing and reinstalled the lens. The tabs snapped in place and held everything together in the correct position while the silicone hardened. No mess or leakage. I have not had any condensation since.

This is not a difficult DIY but it does require some care and patience.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Awesome - thanks for the detailed write up! Will definitely be giving this a go once she's away for the season.

Best,

Matt
Old 07-08-2011, 09:34 PM
dsmyth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just removed my back center light and poured out about a cup of water. The light is only a few months old and is a Hella unit with a 993 number on it . No damage yet but I should get a solution figured out before to long. Obviously there is no vent hole on the bottam to hold so much water. Has anyone tried drilling a few holes? Any other solutions found other than taking it apart and resealing? I am tempted to carefully run a small bead of silicone all around it.
Doug
Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Ha - 3 years later, and still have not gotten around to this!

Unit off the car and sitting ready to go under the scalpel over the winter.

Will report back.

Cheers!

Matt
Old 01-05-2014, 08:55 PM
993 770
Pro

Why not try the clear flex seal? It could work well for this type of application.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Holytin
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is what I learned in construction physics - the breathers connect the inside of tail light to the outside; that's what they are designed for. So the inside of the tail light is in equilibrium with the outside. A sudden increase in elative humidity outside (after a good rain or a car wash) will result in transferring some of the moisture inside the tail light (remember - it's dry inside). The moisture flow will follow the drop or raise in air pressure, and it is always easier for the moisture to get in than out. Same thing what happens inside your house. Hope this make sense...

Repeat this process a few times and you have moisture or water visible on the inside, especially after sun light starts to heat up the whole thing. Broken seems may contribute to this problem but I haven't yet seen this on my car.

I imagine using a pressure washer could magnify this problem.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:20 AM
993MY
Rennlist Member

Hi guys. For those that buy a new reflector panel and face similar issues, remember to take the covers in the breather hoses out. I actually figured that out only a few weeks after installation when moisture stared to show in the reverse lights. I bought a new OEM reflector and did not check it during installation. Once removed again and pulling the little rubber hoses off, I found out that they are actually plugged up! See the pictures below. These little white plugs need to be removed before installation so that the breather fulfills its purpose. It is probably a protection during manufacturing or shipping and I am sure that most of you know this. I didn't.... :-) Maybe this is an easy fix for some....

Old 03-24-2015, 10:34 AM
JB 911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

This is an interesting post. ^ (and quite a contribution for a member with only 1 post I might add)

It is the only one I found about these white plugs. We have had a very wet spring, and even though I have not driven my car in the rain yet, it has been dry in the garage, for the first time the lenses start to fog up on me. Mostly around the reverse lights but also a little towards the red also.

So mine has these little white inserts also? Has anyone else removed these besides 993MY? I can't think of any reason they should be there whatsoever? They are also in the brake light vents
Attached Images     
Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Great pics and very informative posts. I'm going to check mine this weekend.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 PM
coltj
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

993MY & JB 911: Are those white inserts solid (plastic?) material or are they somewhat porous, like a filter?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:00 PM
G-MASSA
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those "plugs" are semi permeable material. Allows the assembly to slowly breathe but prevents (reduces) moisture intake and stops insects, etc. these are common on electronic devices, headlight assemblies, etc.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:34 PM
frankv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so I am clear (since I recently bought a new reflector), you take out the black breather hose, remove the white insert and then put the black breather hose back in place?

Thanks, Frank
Old 03-25-2015, 08:48 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,015 Posts

I believe the fixture needs to breath to relieve moisture. The tail lenses are warmed by the exhaust system so a good solution may be to drill a small hole at 6 o'clock on the lenses bulb bayonet socket and in that way any heated moisture that would otherwise condense back onto the lens will gass-out of the hole instead. Trying to completely seal somthing in such a wet / temperature changing/ constant vibration & movement environment may not be a successful approach in the long run. If you look at the design of the overall housing it seems the engineers intended the entire housing to breathe.

Andy :-)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:58 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by JB 911
So mine has these little white inserts also? Has anyone else removed these besides 993MY? I can't think of any reason they should be there whatsoever? They are also in the brake light vents
It seems to me they are filters that allow expansion of the air in the lens from temperature changes to breath out while providing a barrier to drawing liquid moisture and dust back in. keep in mind that these lenses live in a very temperature dynamic wet and dirty environment exposed to engine heat, the sun, external environmental temperature and bulb heating. I would think these all cause continuous pressure changes in the enclosed housing.

Andy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: water leak in rear taillight assembly