993 Forum 1995-1998

PA 2000 Alarm Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:44 PM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PA 2000 Alarm Problem

I dropped my car in to a local body shop to have the stone chips on the front of the car painted, when it had been there a week the shop reported that they could not start the car. I suspected that it was a flat battery in the remote fob, or a flat car battery.
When the main battery is connected he hazards flash and the alarm sounds, the dash lights up, but the engine does not turn. I have tried lock/unlocking, turning the ignition, i have tried charging the battery and 2 alarm key fobs (the red LED comes on with both).

Please let me know what i should try next?

If the alarm is broken, can it be removed?

I understand that the PA2000 is a UK model only fit?

Any help appreciated.
Robin
Old 08-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Robin, do you have the immobilizer key? You can turn it off. The control unit is to the left of the engine bay as you look at it from the rear.

If that does not work get a new battery, most likely your current one does not hold enough of a charge.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Replace the battery in your remote.

BTW.... When I saw you post I thought someone was trying to impersonating me. LOL!
Old 08-27-2008, 03:57 AM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

Thanks
I will buy a new car battery and a pair of new remote batteries today and let you know...

Off topic, but funny. i ended up borrowing a trailer and towing the porsche home. when I was due to leave the paint shop my tow car an old saab would not start (flat battery) The saab has been my daily driver for the last year and has always started...
I will be spending some £££$$$ on batteries today.

PS no impersonations, just a good name.

Thanks for your help.

Robin
Old 08-27-2008, 04:02 AM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

One more thing, i don't have an imobiliser key, and have located the alam unit, there is no key slot visible, i opened the box (4 screws) to see if there is water in there, it was dry and looked to be in good shape.

Thanks once more.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:50 AM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

Okay
so I have fitted a new car battery and a new 12v battery to the fob..... no joy, the alarm does not respond to the fob.... i don't have a master key.

help. please.

Does anyone know a good auto electrician in the Colchester area of essex UK?

Thanks
Robin
Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In a situation like this I would think it's worth to call the dealer. It may be expensive but for sure they will have dealt with this before and at the very least can advise you.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:09 AM
C4 NLW
Instructor

By the way, my car is a 96 but it has only ever been taken care of by the same main Porsche dealer. I've found them to be really great. Friendly and go out of their way to help you. The only down side is the cost, but then your running a performance racing car and experience has it's price. In a situation like yours they would have it fixed within a short space of time and you'd be driving down the road.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

I think that i will end up giving that a go, the car was due a new battery, as the old one had been on there for some time and was getting a little low. i guess it was worth a try, i will let you know what happens.
Robin
Old 08-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Robin, if that does not work, search the uk section for the name of the firm that makes replacement circuit boards for the PA2000. It comes with a new master remote.

Alternatively, contact Andrew at the service desk at Porsche Colchester. They replaced mine a few years ago, tell him I said hi!

You can also try the titanic porsche list (do a google search) lots of knowledgeable people there, specifically Maurice Piper aka Pickled Piper here iirc.

Hth
Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

Thanks for all your help. I called Lancaster Porsche Colchester and was very pleased by their attitude. They said that it could be a simple as a fuse (unfortunately not, as i have checked). they are happy to diagnose the problem and think that the worst that it should be is the board for the PA2000 as suggested by you, they said that a replacement is a quick fit and should cost around £250. Not as bad as i suspected. My plan now is to finish putting the bumper etc back on (taken off for painting) and then get the car to Lancasters and get them to sort it.
The advantage is that i will get new key fobs and mine were getting quite tired, the rubber buttons had gone gummy. Also this will mean that i am sure that it will get resolved, i am worried that if i purchase a new board and do it myself, there may be another cause for the problem, then i end up buying more and more parts... i am sure you have all been there?

I will let you know the final outcome and cost, but it will take a week or so no doubt.

Thanks for all the help, it is good to know that it is out there.

Robin
Old 08-30-2008, 05:40 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You may wish to call Hamilton and Palmer, manufacturers of the PA-2000 system, for some advice before parting with your hard-earned at the OPC. http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/
Old 08-30-2008, 07:59 PM
shamrock
Racer

Originally Posted by phelix
You may wish to call Hamilton and Palmer, manufacturers of the PA-2000 system, for some advice before parting with your hard-earned at the OPC. http://www.hamilton-palmer.co.uk/
This is the way to go Robin ,they retro fitted all the 993 immob systems when they were originally imported. They also have a good name for customer service.
Wrt your 'aging' alarm fob , I believe they also sell a 'refurb' kit for the fob with new rubber bits etc .. Costs pence I believe..
Good luck ..
Old 09-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Robin 993 c2
Instructor

Okay so i did it, i took it to Lancasters in Colchester and they replaced the mother board for the alarm and replaced the key fobs. I called and Mailed hamilton and Parlmer and got no reply until it was too late and the car was at Porsche and the work had been authorised... ho hum.
The total bill came to £407 including the dreaded VAT. not too bad, and better than getting an aftermarket alarm.

Best of all i have my 993 back and it is great, I have had it off the road for 6 weeks with the paint job etc. Now it is shiny, works and feels faster than ever as I have been driving a TDi audi and a SAAB turbo for 6 weeks.

Thanks for all your help.

Robin
Old 09-10-2008, 12:36 PM
Surj-993C2S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad it worked out.

Lancaster are good people and they know 993s there.

But you shld get your servicing done elsewhere on a cost basis. Ray Northway is pretty local I think.

Quick Reply: PA 2000 Alarm Problem