993 Forum 1995-1998

993 A/C Evaporator Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:23 PM
quasr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993 A/C Evaporator Upgrade

After enduring my 993 this past summer here in Central Florida, I have decided to try an upgrade to the stock air conditioning system in the form of a serpentine evaporator, new expansion valve, new dryer and replacement of engine compartment freon hoses. Has anyone had great success with the upgrade? The quote I received for the above parts was right around $900.00 installation locally will be about as much. Here is a link to the company I have selected:

http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/911ac/index.html

Thanks!
Old 03-18-2008, 11:16 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never saw their stuff for 993s before (which is another page than you have listed by the way) so thanks for pointing out their stuff. I look forward to hearing how successful it is in your car since I am suffering thorugh the same FL heat.
http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/964ac/index.html
I installed a complete Griffith's setup in a mid 80's (I think) 911 - front condenser, drier and evaporator. The AC in that car ran much colder.

I hear their stuff is high quality. I have one of their rebuilt steering racks in my car and it has done fine over 25K miles.

Dave
Old 03-19-2008, 06:22 AM
quasr
Racer

Thanks Dave. I have just placed the order for the parts I described though have opted for ground shipping due to the weight. Last week I had an A/C service on the 993 and found there was not much improvement even though I was a pound or so low on freon. I am having Zotz Garage do the install anda am hoping for 10 to 15 degree cooler air. I will post the results here in a few weeks. Regards.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:31 AM
95FL993CAB
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. Please keep us posted although I must admit my Cab does not go out much in the summer in CFL.
What is Donnie quoting for the install?
Ron
Old 03-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by black ice
Never saw their stuff for 993s before (which is another page than you have listed by the way) so thanks for pointing out their stuff. I look forward to hearing how successful it is in your car since I am suffering thorugh the same FL heat.
http://www.griffiths.com/porsche/ac/964ac/index.html
I installed a complete Griffith's setup in a mid 80's (I think) 911 - front condenser, drier and evaporator. The AC in that car ran much colder.

I hear their stuff is high quality. I have one of their rebuilt steering racks in my car and it has done fine over 25K miles.

Dave
Dave,
We should get together and compare duct temps. My air was crap when I bought my car so I took it over to Eibell Performance in St. Pete. After they worked on it, it was quite comfortable last summer. They didn't do any upgrades. Just replaced the resistors for the cooling fans and tweaked a couple of things...
Maybe the white helps? (more airflow since it's faster)
Old 03-19-2008, 10:47 AM
tabasco
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought the evaporator was behind the fuel tank, and you have to take half the car apart to get to it.
That sounds quite cheap for the parts and labor involved.

-Guillaume
Old 03-19-2008, 11:10 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The griffiths evap is definitely an upgrade. I seem to remember that they did away with mixing metals that eventually corrode. I did the swap with the stock unit however due to cost. I wrote a DIY on pcar workshop and robins site if you want to do it yourself. Good luck. TJ
Old 03-19-2008, 06:46 PM
quasr
Racer

Zotz Garage here in Orlando has estimated labor will be between $600 and $700 for installation. Money well spent to be able to drive in comfort in the deep South. The parts went out today, headed my way.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:45 AM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Falcon, your car is just faster because of that fancy front bumper. Thanks for the offer, we should hook up sometime - I have to throw away all my white dress shirts after every summer because I sweat them out driving back and forth to Lakeland.

Guillaume you are right, it's close to where it was on the earlier cars but you do now have to pull the gas tank. A pain in the **** but I guess there are worse things to work on (e.g., anything with CV grease).
http://p-car.com/diy/ac/
Old 03-20-2008, 07:34 PM
quasr
Racer

Default A/C Compressor

Thanks for the suggestions and the DIY site posting. After looking it over, I have decided to stick with having it done professionally. I am now gathering some small parts that will be needed to make the job easier. The DIY suggests replacement of the mounting bolts of the refrigerant pipes during the process. Anyone have any idea where I would get the specs on those bolts and rings? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:40 AM
quasr
Racer

Default Evaporator Installed

Yesterday I picked up my 993 after the new Griffith's evaporator core, expansion valve, dryer and hoses were installed by the guys at Zotz Garage. They also replaced an old pressure switch that was found to have been leaking. After the installation, I noticed a 15 degree or so reduction in air temperature from the vents. Perhaps that does not seem much but here in Florida on a 98 degree day, every bit helps. According to the guys at Zotz, the parts were an easy fit without much alteration. I will say that in my opinion, a meticulous mechanic is one who does not leave a spec of grease, no oops marks, no smudges on the paint. I was well pleased. I will now ease into the summer knowing comfort is at hand.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:53 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

I am surprised that you were having A/C issues. I live in Miami and both of my 993's will freeze my ba$%s off. I actually have to keep the temp control **** in at the 9 o'clock position so I don't freeze........ I had a 964 a few years ago and installed a "Desert Cool' like kit to help out..... and it did.......
Old 03-29-2008, 09:32 PM
quasr
Racer

Even with my upgrades I still don't have ice cold air. Wonder if it could be my compressor. I figured they either work or not. Would not guess it would be working marginally. Ideas? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Chris L (07-03-2019)
Old 03-29-2008, 09:37 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by quasr
Even with my upgrades I still don't have ice cold air. Wonder if it could be my compressor. I figured they either work or not. Would not guess it would be working marginally. Ideas? Thanks.
I would have the system checked by another shop. I am sure that your shop is very professional but maybe they may be missing something. I am driving my TT for the weekend and it is hot outside and it is ice cold..........
Old 03-29-2008, 09:42 PM
quasr
Racer

I will take your advice and check out an A/C specialty shop such as Ice Cold Speedo and Air. Thanks. Drive safely out there.

Quick Reply: 993 A/C Evaporator Upgrade