Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Sticker missing.. Gurus plz advise..

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticker missing.. Gurus plz advise..

Hey guys.

I have put a downpayment on a car and I'm close to buying this car . More info to come if the deal goes through.

Not getting into too much detail, let me just say this: The car is in overall very good condition. Paintwork is 8/10 and interior is 9/10. The only thing that concerns me and holds me back are the fact that there are (or is) sticker(s) missing. This might not mean anything at all but could also mean a lot.

The pcar is from the exclusive programme and was claimed to be used by Porsche for exhibitions. The sticker under the hood is missing. The hood itself is just as "worn" as the other body panels surrounding it (e.g with a few small rock chips etc) and shows no sign of being repainted. The sticker on the drivers side fender (inside the trunk) stating the colourcode and the name of the colourcode is there. So is the sticker under the trunk (where the spare tire is) which states the VIN, also present. Ofcourse the VIN plastic piece in the windshield is also present. However, the only sticker present on both doors are the sticker showing the tire pressures. No black sticker showing the VIN and the other stuff that I presume is usually present on the door sill when you open the door. The engine comparment has the Mobil1 sticker and the other RoW sticker and seems to check out fine.

Now, the bumper cover shows no signs (to me) of repaint and neither does the car. In very bright light an "orange peel" effect can be observed. I assume this can be considered normal as well and it can be fixed with a wet sand /clear process.

Everything else being 9/10 (also test drive). Would you go for it or walk away? Gurus, please advise . Unfortunately my camera had no batteries.. . I hope you understand which stickers I mean.

TIA
Old 11-19-2007, 04:26 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the US, the underhood sticker is applied by the dealer during the pre-delivery inspection. The other half is supposed to be applied to the owners manual. Sometimes, this didn't happen.

So, either it was never there, or the hood was replaced/repainted. But it's not necessarily a sign of something bad.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:27 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The car probably received a new hood at some stage, which would explain the missing sticker.
The orange peel can be a sign of bad preparation of the surface prior to a respray.
It makes 2 good reasons to futher investigate the history of the car.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

It depends on how bad the orange peel is. These cars do have orange peel, at least to my eye. When you look at a reflection in the paint, if the mirrored image looks watery, that's orange peel. If the reflection in the car is razor sharp and perfectly defined, that means there's no orange peel and, at least with 993's, means that somone repainted your car a bit too well.

The question is how much orange peel is too much or too little?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:31 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or the sticker wasn't installed. Or it fell off. Doesn't mean the hood was replaced.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:32 PM
V
Drifting

The full sticker in the service manual stating all the options is present. But the copy is not under the hood.. I'm a little worried about the black sticker missing..
Old 11-19-2007, 04:32 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

TIA,

I wouldn't sweat it. The sticker could be MIA for a lot of reasons having nothing to do with body and fender damage. When I bought my car six years ago the sticker was there, but crinkled and looked like crap. I had no idea what it was, so removed it and threw it away. Alas, I'll have to keep my car forever - no one will buy it now...
Old 11-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"No black sticker showing the VIN and the other stuff that I presume is usually present on the door sill when you open the door"

That seems out of the ordinary to me and would warrant a thorough explanation. It's not the sort of thing that just falls off.

As Mark stated, 993s have a visible amount of orange peel from the factory, so that in itself wouldn't be an indicator of a repaint. Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:47 PM
GMS
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only US/Canada spec cars have the door jamb sticker.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:01 PM
V
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
It depends on how bad the orange peel is. These cars do have orange peel, at least to my eye. When you look at a reflection in the paint, if the mirrored image looks watery, that's orange peel. If the reflection in the car is razor sharp and perfectly defined, that means there's no orange peel and, at least with 993's, means that somone repainted your car a bit too well.

The question is how much orange peel is too much or too little?
It's just as you say Mark, it's watery and hardly noticeable. I just thought that Porsche did not let the cars roll out of the factory looking like this. As I said its barely noticeable and probably not a repaint issue, as you just confirmed.

[QUOTE=Dan V;4796596]"No black sticker showing the VIN and the other stuff that I presume is usually present on the door sill when you open the door"

Maybe I did not express myself in enough detail here. There is (I think also for the RoW models, this particular pcar is made for the German market) a black rectangular sticker on the door sill (lateral part) showing the VIN and a bunch of other info. It might as well be that one of the previous owners thought it did'nt belong there or that it didn't look good to him. Is this replacable? This car has been serviced at a local Porsche dealership for years. I will call them tomorrow to see if they can vouch for the car. That will tell alot since they know a bit of its history and they are usually knowledgable ppl .

Any Europeans know if the black sticker should be there? Thanks for the quick inut guys, keep it coming! [QUOTE]
Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen where the sticker is in the manual but was never put on the hood, that's not uncommon. In fact, I'm not so sure that it's that great an indicator anyway, because it's pretty common for people to put something bulky in the trunk, slam the hood down and damage it, without there being an actual accident that would compromise the integrity of the car any more than refinishing the front bumper for paint chips.

Actually, a 911 without orange peel is scarier than one with it, unless the owner had the car wet sanded.

On the earlier 911s, you used to be able to tell by running your fingers along the lip of the wheel wells; Porsche applied a texture to the paint there to help prevent rock chips, and almost invariably the body shop would not duplicate it if the panel was replaced, so a smooth surface meant an accident. The 993 doesn't have that particular telltale, though.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:49 PM
LT1
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't factory (original) hoods have the scotch tapish looking strips at the base of the hood? My 964T under hood sticker had been peeled off, but it still had the tape strips.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:27 AM
Bgoldey
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

What did the PPI show? Call me paranoid, but when I purchased my 97' in 2001 not only did I have a mechanical PPI done but also took it to a body shop that specialized in Porsches. For a very small fee the guy went over the car with a jewlers loop (magnifying thingie) and a paint thickness guage. This guy was so good he could tell the difference between PPG and Glasurit paint. I think Gasurit is a deeper looking black. IMO PPIs have two purposes: (1) To reveal potential/hidden problems and (2) as a negotiating tool. I just purchased a used $4500 VW and had a PPI done. I negotiated an extra $2000 off based on the PPI.

Brian
Old 11-21-2007, 11:05 AM
V
Drifting

Well, as a matter of fact, I had the PPI done today. I am really torn on thisone and I need to make up my mind. The PPI (although a quick one) yielded the following results:

(Car has 28.xxxmiles)
Car is mechanically sound. The inspector said everything looked good. No signs of accident och repair. He did however tell me that he was certain the car has been repainted. It must have been done professionally as there are no seems inside the doors etc. But the color is slightly off. In fact, you can see where stonechips have been painted with the original paint (speed yellow) that it's a different color. The guy at the body shop told me that yes it has been repainted, but this is not neccessarily that bad. Many cars have been repainted and this particular one does not show any other unusual stuff.

Chassis is lowered bilstein H&R (RS ride height). RH Cup replicas. Roock-racing sport exhaust mufflers and lots of other goodies like factory litronics, full leather interior, custom stiching etc. The price tag is below market. I am thinking of walking away, particularily as yellow is not my favourite color either. But its a possible keeper that could be driven for years, lets say mileage from 27.xxx to 50.xxx and then repainted original colour and sold. I dunno. For me, eventhough the price is right, its a lot of money for a car that has been repainted. I talkted to the two previous owners (all the way back to year 2000). The first owner told me that when he repainted one mirror, he mixed the SY colour and it was way off. So he had to blend and bled until he finally found the correct colour. Its less orange than the SY. On the other mirror the pain has started to peel off on one spot and you can see the old yellow paint underneath. It's completely different, not at all the same colour.. Maybe this is ferrari fly yellow??

But as said before, the car has definately been repainted but does not show any signs of ever having been in an accident. Need input. I am thinking of passing on thisone. My first thought when the sticker under the hood was missing was: it might have been repainted.

Go or no go?? TIA

Pictures are here:

http://www.bytbil.com/carinfo.cgi?id...ook=callismaab

No affil
Old 11-21-2007, 11:40 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

why is the engine lid misaligned with the rear passenger fender?

Quick Reply: Sticker missing.. Gurus plz advise..