Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change color? Gun-metal gray cars out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 01:18 PM
FXDave
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change color? Gun-metal gray cars out there?

I just got a black '95 993 about a month ago. Mechanically the car is great. It has 90k miles. The paint definitely needs some work though. Both bumpers have low impact damage and the whole front of the car has enough stone chips to need a re-spray.

I have read enough posts here to learn about similar situations and the debate to paint the whole car or not. My question is if I decide to paint the whole car does changing the color really degrade the value? Does matching another Porsche factory color mater? I don't dislike black but I think I would love something like a gun-metal gray. Has anyone seen a 993 in a similar color?
Old 09-28-2007, 01:30 PM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

The general consensus is that a repaint in a new color does diminish the value somewhat. From the perspective of someone who is shopping for a 993, I would personally shy away from a car that is now a different color than when it rolled off the factory floor.

Then again, with 90k miles, it sounds like your car is a driver and not a concours candidate, so if you intend to keep the car for a good long time (i.e., forever), then I would not worry one bit about a new color repaint. Do what you like. There is a slate gray '95 for sale in the classifieds, check it out.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:20 PM
FXDave
3rd Gear

Wow! Thanks for the tip about the slate gray '95 for sale in the classifieds! That is the color I am talking about, sweet. Now I really want to repaint! Of course the cost of changing color is much higher then sticking with original color... ah, decisions, decisions.

Is slate gray just a very rare factory color? I am assuming it is factory? I have never seen a 993 in that color before...
Old 09-28-2007, 02:37 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDave
Wow! Thanks for the tip about the slate gray '95 for sale in the classifieds! That is the color I am talking about, sweet. Now I really want to repaint! Of course the cost of changing color is much higher then sticking with original color... ah, decisions, decisions.

Is slate gray just a very rare factory color? I am assuming it is factory? I have never seen a 993 in that color before...

Is this the color that you seek
Attached Images  
Old 09-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Slate grey is one of those colors that you have to see in person to truly appreciate how nice it looks IMO. Awsome color overall.
Old 09-28-2007, 02:48 PM
FXDave
3rd Gear

Nice! Love it with those wheels too! So Charcoal Gray is the factory name? I would love to know the paint code when you get a chance... thanks!
Old 09-28-2007, 02:57 PM
kimo964
Racer

Originally Posted by FXDave
Nice! Love it with those wheels too! So Charcoal Gray is the factory name? I would love to know the paint code when you get a chance... thanks!
Mettalic Slate Grey is the official name. Not a 993 but you get the idea.....
Attached Images   
Old 09-28-2007, 08:45 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

my color code is L23F: slate metallic. Ditto comments regarding need to see in person. My car never photographs in true color. I'll say that I get a lot of comments from porsche guys about the color.
Attached Images   
Old 09-28-2007, 11:34 PM
GregL190
7th Gear

If you change the color (regardless of future resale possibilities), the paint shop will have to try paint all of the black areas that are visible but difficult to reach. I think it might add thousands of dollars to the cost compared to a total respray in the original color. You need to find an honest, reputable body shop that will give you honest answers to your questions.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:57 PM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kimo964
Mettalic Slate Grey is the official name. Not a 993 but you get the idea.....
Damn Ray, that car is dope!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:46 AM
ste993
Pro

Wink

Originally Posted by GregL190
If you change the color (regardless of future resale possibilities), the paint shop will have to try paint all of the black areas that are visible but difficult to reach. I think it might add thousands of dollars to the cost compared to a total respray in the original color. You need to find an honest, reputable body shop that will give you honest answers to your questions.
Agreed. The slate grey is a really good looking colour, but it's going to really cost to get a proper paint job. And besides, what could be better than a brand new shiny black finish? I'm not biased of course!!
Old 09-29-2007, 12:53 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy cow Ray...That's beautiful.
chuck
Old 09-29-2007, 02:16 AM
Harold
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

proper respray would need engine, fuel tank out. Of course given your car is black you could leave engine bay black etc in ferrari style
Old 09-29-2007, 02:45 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,219 Likes on 1,853 Posts

Ray: Truly outstanding. Though not quite the same car, it reminds me of my past love...
Attached Images  

Last edited by Wilder; 09-29-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:10 PM
dmwallace
Rennlist Member

For your stone chips in the front you may be able to get away with a sand & re-spray from a mobile painting & touch-up service (the folks that go around to car dealers). One of the national franchises is MARS International (http://www.marsinternational.com/); you can input your zip code to see if someone is nearby. No affiliation to them...

If you were going to change colors you might also want to consider Stone Grey Metallic (L693) which was a special order color in 1989 (and possibly other years). It's about a shade lighter than Slate Grey Metallic (L22D). Both are very nice...

Good luck with your choices,
David.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Change color? Gun-metal gray cars out there?