993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Sat Nav Installation - Becker Cascade

Old 05-01-2007, 10:29 AM
harveyn
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Sat Nav Installation - Becker Cascade

Hi there
I am about to try and install a Becker Cascade in my 993 and would really appreciate any tips on where to break into the reverse signal wire and to tap into the speed sensor. Are these available under the dash? It is a UK right hand drive car.
Many thanks

Harvey
Old 05-01-2007, 07:14 PM
pezza
Racer

I installed one of these in my 993 a couple of months back , you can hook into the reverse and speed sensor wires on the back of the climate control unit.

The red/white wire of the CCU is the speed pulse signal.

Blue/grey wire on the CCU unit is reverse.

If you get the gps extension cable you can mount the aerial under the rear speaker shelf.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:08 AM
harveyn
AutoX

Hi Perry
Many thanks for your reply! That is fantastic it should be much easier to install than I had feared now, good man!
Old 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please write up a "How-to" with pictures and post again when you're done.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:28 PM
pezza
Racer

If anyone needs any tips on this install then let me know, I ended up doing it twice as I installed it in my 4S, then removed it and re installed it in the TT, it's a great unit.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:42 PM
harveyn
AutoX

Hi Perry, I am almost done installing my Becker Cascade, but....
The din hole in the dash is very tight for the unit, so I can't remove the security front easily...did you have the same problem, and any ideas how to make the opening bigger without damaging it!
Cheers
Harvey

P.s the red and white speed pulse wire was already in the iso connector. I took the feed for reverse from the back of the a/c unit, confirmed first with a simple circuit tester and putting the car into and out of reverse to check which wire it was.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:26 PM
pezza
Racer

I didn't have the speed signal at the head unit end as I have the dsp sound option, so that is taken care of by the amp under the seat, but most later cars think 96 onwards should have the speed signal wired into the ISO plug at the head unit as per yours.

The unit is tight in the opening, think Becker refer to it as a snap chasis, kind of a universal fit thing. As far as I can see you have three options

1) Adjust the tabs on the side of the unit (the locking tabs) so that the unit doesn't go all the way into the opening, so the black plastic stereo surround stands slightly proud. This means that the security panel is easy to remove, and also means that you can easily put a compact flash card in with mp3's on it, so a good ipod alternative, plus keep a cd changer hooked up.

2) Live with the tight fit, as I don't think you can start to make the opening larger, as it will damage the plastic/leather. You could try a hair dryer on it to ease it, get it nice and hot and the material will be slighty workable. Mine is snug but you can remove the security panel.

3) Install a Becker Indianapolis Pro, as the centre panel is removable on this unit from memory, so you don't have the problem, although the Cascade is a better unit, just an option.

It's well worth getting a Rennlist membership to support this site as it's such a huge resource....and isn't expensive. These guys on here have saved me a small fortune with the tips and advice. It's a great forum. Where abouts are you in the UK?

regards

Perry
Old 05-16-2007, 07:53 AM
harveyn
AutoX

Hi Pezza
Many thanks for your advice, pm sent....and I have just become a member!
Cheers
Harvey
Old 09-24-2007, 03:27 AM
race.it
Instructor

Default where to get the gps extension lead

Hi,

where did you purchase the extension lead, I have tried a variety of places over the last weekend but nobody has the correct connections, and there only idea was to cut the original wire and put different ends on so I get a bespoke extension.

thanks

John
Old 09-24-2007, 09:23 AM
pezza
Racer

Purchased it from sempal the uk inporter of becker products. I recently fitted the rain sensor and dimming mirror and had the padded dash top off, from memory you could install the gps aerial under the padded dash cover, and you will not need the extension piece. (just a thought)
Old 09-24-2007, 11:04 AM
race.it
Instructor

thanks, that was my original idea, but could not get the dash top off at the weekend, I was not helped by the torch being misplaced and I needed that to see under the dash, I will look at it again tonight hopefully with a new torch.

thanks

John
Old 09-24-2007, 12:02 PM
harveyn
AutoX

I purchased this longer aerial and fitted it under the rear parcel shelf. Completely hidden and was very easy to install. Hope ths helps. I bought mine from this seller:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GPS-Antenne-fo...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 09-24-2007, 12:24 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do they offer U.S. maps for the Cascade yet? Great features and styling!
Old 09-24-2007, 01:24 PM
tmc
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a UK-only unit
Old 09-24-2007, 05:35 PM
pezza
Racer

Ferrari fit the cascade as oem in the USA, so they should be able to offer a map, I had it come with mine along with the europe maps, the USA compact flash card was ferrari branded.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 Sat Nav Installation - Becker Cascade