How hard to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 01:39 PM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 110 Posts
Default How hard to fix this?

Has anyone had this problem?

When I was pulling my battery tender out of the lighter, it pulled the lighter out of the dash with it. The metal receptacle came out, but the plug that hooks on to the back of the receptacle is now dangling behind the dash. I can reach through the hole and grab it, but it is too big to fit through the hole. Hence, I can't reattach it. It looks like the dash needs to come out. That seems like an extreme measure just to reattach the lighter. Plus, this is the turbo S and everthing is leather, including the screw covers, so chances are I will mess something up in the process.

Has anyone had this problem and know how to fix it? What is the minimum I need to take out to get access behind the part of the dash that has the lighter in it? Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd also like to know as I discovered when trying to use an FM iPod adapter that my lighter isn't hooked up at all. I have just the lighter insert and cannot even see any wires to attach.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

No idea how to gain access, but I would suggest looking into a way to hardwire a set of leads directly to the battery. Once attached, you pop the trunk in order to plug your tender into the harnes attached to your battery.

I've worried about the lighter socket for a while, as I have the Porsche maintainer and use the lighter socket.

Andreas
Old 03-02-2007, 02:46 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

I would start by removing the radio, and cover the radio with a towel and wrap the whole in a plastic bag.
you do not want the radio chassis scrathing anything while dangling there.
insert your left hand facing upwards in the radio emplacement.
With a long plastic straw in the right hand, push the lighter base all the way in until you grab it with the
left hand. Now pull gently towards the outside. When you have enough access, leave the cig lighter base
dangling in the radio opening (even inside). Now insert from the cig lighter opening, an electric cable far inside, and
catch it with the left hand. Now, tape the electric cable to the cig lighter connection.
Disconnect the cig lighter connection.
Pull gently on the electric cable, while liberating the path with your left hand, until the cig lighter connection
pops out from the dash hole.
Adjust the base moustaches (widden) to help the base grip strong.
remove tape from the cables and hook the cig lighter.
Insert the cig lighter perpendicularily into the dash(retaining ring). tadam!

Last edited by geolab; 03-03-2007 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:47 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try pulling the stereo head unit out... which is way easier than the whole dash. I just did a major stereo upgrade, but can't recall if this allows access to the back of the lighter. Worth a try...
Old 03-02-2007, 02:50 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I really need to learn how to type so I don't always get scooped... watch, there will be three posts between this and my last one!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 119 Posts

By the way, its funny how the difference between polar and arctic is flagrant
comparing both avatars.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:14 PM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

geolab, sound reasonable. I thought about going throught the glove box, but that didn't look like it would work. I'll give it a shot and let you know. Is removal and reinstall of the radio straight forward? Thanks.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
jnx
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rkb
I'd also like to know as I discovered when trying to use an FM iPod adapter that my lighter isn't hooked up at all. I have just the lighter insert and cannot even see any wires to attach.
That should be a simple fix.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:00 PM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Okay, so perhaps I am an idiot, but it is not obvious how to get the radio out. On the 964 it is easy, because the lower dash is small and you can see the radio bracket from underneath. In the 993, I can't touch or see any part of the radio bracket from below. Help!
Attached Images  
Old 03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Never mind. I think I have it figured out. It's not done yet, but looks pretty easy.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 993TurboS
Never mind. I think I have it figured out. It's not done yet, but looks pretty easy.
Ir helps to have a pair of these to remove your Becker head unit .... one per side in the slots provided to release the spring loaded locks.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:00 PM
993TurboS
Burning Brakes

Garth S, Thanks. I was sticking all sorts of things in those slots and couldn't fit my hand behind to push anyway. I just bought those from ebay.

Meanwhile, I just noticed that there is a 12V socket under the dash that I can use for the charger instead of the lighter anyway. I didn't know it was there. Apparently, having the lighter disconnected makes the 12V outlet not work, too, though, so I still need to fix this.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:08 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

I was unplugging an air compressor and the lighter receptacle came out with it. The plug is dangling behind the hole in the dash board. The car is in winter storage mode (excepting today, it feels like spring here), and I charge the car though the lighter. So I need a quick fix for this or a new charger that Xonnects easily to the battery ASAP. Do I really need to yank the radio to reconnect the lighter socket?? I don't have small hands... Is there some quick fix here, it's so close? Alternatively got any recommendations for a good charger I can find somewhere quick? Doh. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:07 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

If you go the route of a new charger, I have 3 of these and have been using for a number of years with no problems.

https://www.amazon.com/CTEK-56-353-1.../dp/B000FRLO9Y

They also sell a connecter that plugs into the lighter receptacle which is what I use. It's actually a little loose, as the 993 lighter receptacle is bigger than most. Weird, first time I saw a thread on the lighter receptacle getting pulled out.

Quick Reply: How hard to fix this?