993 Forum 1995-1998

How hard to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:13 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
. Weird, first time I saw a thread on the lighter receptacle getting pulled out.
Yup, first time plugging in a Porsche compressor I had lying around. Everything else fits so loosely it could never happen. Insult to injury.
Old 01-22-2017, 02:06 AM
fsa
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 89 Posts

As others have done, the wire leads that come with CTEK units are easily hard wired directly to the battery terminals. These quick connect/release tabs sit happily in the trunk, then easily attach and detach. Wires are thin, closing the trunk on them minimally indents, but integrity is maintained.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:34 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I use a Ctek with this on both the 993 and 944
Attached Images  
Old 01-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Thanks for all the CTek responses. I purchased a CTek MUS 4.3 at Advance Auto Parts just in case I hit a wall. I will probably just use the CTek moving forward.

In any event it is possible to reattach the lighter housing to the plug behind the dash without removing the radio with a little finesse. I managed to get a hold of the plug with a pair of angled pliers and pulled the base through the opening to attach some duct tape to the bottom, out of the way of the contacts. I lined up and centered the plug and held the tape tightly while reinserting the housing. Worked like a charm in the second attempt, power is restored, and all is right with the world.

Housing hit yanked out while unplugging compressor.

There's the plug teasing behind the dash

Pulled base of plug though with angled needle nose pliers

Stick some duct tape to the base of the plug, line the plug up and hold tape firmly while reinserting the housing. Cross fingers.

Yes!

Quick Reply: How hard to fix this?