993 Forum 1995-1998

Dillema - keep putting money in or start over

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 03:09 AM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dillema - keep putting money in or start over

Friends, I need some advice, and I know I'll get plenty here!

My car (1995 C4 Coupe) has experienced some kind of clutch failure (clutch went to the floor suddenly while driving. I was able to pull the pedal back into position, and now it won't move at all). So, now likely I'm in need of a new clutch, as well as an oil change, a gear oil change,an alignment, and a variety of various and sundry other smaller items (radio face plate, midrange speakers, footwell HVAC servo, driver seat refresh) and some exterior cosmetics.

The car is currently my daily driver and has 158K miles. Top end with valve guides was done around 80K mi and engine was resealed about 10k mi ago.
Although the carfax is clean, the car was hit on the right side eight years ago. The repair is quite good, but evident to anyone who puts the car up and looks for it. About 15 years ago, then entire car had a good re-spray. A few years ago, there was major rust repair under the windshield on the driver's side. The rust had perforated, so they cut a piece out of the A-pillar and replaced it with a piece from a wrecked 993. Again, the repair is quite good, but you can certainly tell if you know what to look for. Overall the car looks great and has been quite reliable.

My question is this - do I sell it on as is, and put the $7-10K into another one that doesn't have the history mine does, or do I keep putting money into this one? I'm likely to stop using it as a daily driver soon, although I like the fact that I'm unafraid to take it anywhere because it's already far from pristine. If I sell, I will look for another 993 or perhaps a 964.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Arun
Old 08-07-2019, 04:32 AM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts

Sounds like a solid car in need of the kind of maintenance that another car will be in need of sooner or later.

You're already expecting an alignment, so it's a good time to do a clutch if your shop prefers to drop the motor.
The following users liked this post:
Mike Murphy (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 05:42 AM
Endoman
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Pedal on the floor is a hydraulic failure not the clutch itself.. Usual culprit is the slave cylinder.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...e_cylinder.htm
Old 08-07-2019, 08:08 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,202 Likes on 2,715 Posts

First of all - 158k miles DD?? That’s amazing.

Your question is more of an emotional one. You will not make a good financial case to sell your current car and buy a new one. Odds are, the new one will require some work as well. Besides that, with your car’s history, selling it will be difficult and you will not get what you think it’s worth. I would have to assume less than $30k - possibly quite a bit less.

Personally, I’d stick with it. You’ve put all this time and money into her and she has served you faithfully as a DD for many years - give the old girl a good home.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:53 AM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

I'd fix the slave cylinder and so the other misc maintenance items (oil, etc) and keep on driving. Can't imaging you'll be anywhere close to $7k for slave, oil, etc.
evilfij (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 11:14 AM
susej1981
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If it makes you feel any better, my C2S experienced the exact same clutch issue. One day the clutch was working hunky dory, next day it was kaput and the pedal went all the way to the floor and didn't spring back. I was 700 miles away from home and drove the car back home clutchless having to rev match into every gear and start it in 1st gear at stops. I'd keep the car but it's from an emotional standpoint- you also know the car very well in and out and it'll take time to get to know the new car if you choose to get a replacement.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by u7t2p7
The devil you know is better than the devil you [don’t] know. Keep it.
I was gonna say the exact same thing.

Keep the car. It's a known quantity and any used car is going to need something, some time.
ed devinney (08-07-2019)
Old 08-07-2019, 02:53 PM
4dRennwagen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

For a daily driver, I'd find one with 30-50k miles--out of the super-low miles zone with the attendant price premium--that you know needs $5-10k of work. There seem to be a decent number of them out there. Summer is ending soon and someone may be more willing to sell because of that. Once it's done getting "sorted" with a small (but planned-for) bucket of cash, you will "know" that car reasonably well also, but now with over 100k less miles. All of this is dependent on budget, of course.
Old 08-07-2019, 04:06 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

What made top end job at 80k miles necessary? Failed smog test? As already mentioned You don't need to change the clutch now, it's a simple slave cylinder job!

Keep the car!
Old 08-07-2019, 05:32 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Keep the car and use this board as a resource to learn to diy most stuff.

You'll save a bunch of money, learn a lot, and be able to swear in German.
Old 08-07-2019, 06:36 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Dillema - keep putting money in or start over?

No matter what you do you will keep putting money in . . . lol. Your car as it sits is a perfect opening price point for someone who wants to get into a 993 and is not afraid of a little work.

Maybe it is time to upgrade to a car in better overall condition (maybe seemingly) with a fresher interior, etc. Maybe you just want to get into something different or a different color? Now that you no longer intend to use the 993 as a DD you might want something without stories.
Whatever you decide it is all good!
Good luck!

Old 08-07-2019, 07:03 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I was gonna say the exact same thing.

Keep the car. It's a known quantity and any used car is going to need something, some time.
As usual.... spot on!
Old 08-09-2019, 11:41 AM
patela
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the thoughts! I know this is going to be expensive either way - I just want to feel like I'm making the best value decision I can (within reason. I realize we're talking about a 25 year Porsche which fundamentally is not a rational choice).

Susej1981 - I barely got the car off the road - I can't imagine making it work for 700 miles!!

badabing - I've been on rennlist since 2007, so I've learned quite a bit about what needs doing. I can do some of the "small" stuff myself, but I don't currently have space or tools to do major mechanical work.

The shop that currently has the car believes the problem is NOT the slave cylinder, as the clutch pedal is now stuck in the "up" and won't move from there (went to the floor first, then got stuck where it is after I pulled it up). They think something inside the clutch mechanism is preventing the fork or throwout bearing from moving. Given that, they say that at very least, the clutch has come out so they can see what's going on, and replace whatever is stuck, even if it doesn't require an entire clutch replacement. I could ask them to replace the slave cylinder first anyway before dropping the engine and transmission. That will cost about $400. Labor alone for the engine/clutch R&R will be upwards of $2k (I'm in Los Angeles, nothing is inexpensive). Then whatever parts are needed.

All that said, I'm fairly confident about the $7-11K number, (closer to $15k if I do the body cosmetics) . Assuming the need to drop the engine/trans,it's about $5500 to make it roadworthy again (not including the "while you're in there" stuff). Then another $2-3k or so for interior functional stuff (seat restore, mats, radio, speakers, seat drive shaft, etc), and probably $4k in exterior work (rear bumper cover and a couple of ding repairs).
Old 08-09-2019, 11:47 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Here's another way to look at it.

Let's say it costs you $10K right now to get everything right with your car. Now, once sorted, these cars, though expensive to fix at times, are fairly reliable. If you dump $10K into your car, chances are, you'll go at least several years without any major expenses. Let's say, 4 years at least.

If you take that $10K and divide it by 4 years, it's about $208 per month. Far far lower than any new lease or car payment, and your 993 is far far nicer than any car at double or triple that monthly payment.

Just food for thought
Old 08-09-2019, 12:21 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

^ exactly. Any new $50K car will have a $10K depreciation the first year. You do that to a 993 and it will keep you on the road for another 5 years.

Quick Reply: Dillema - keep putting money in or start over