Just bought 96 cab, need a little advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 96 cab, need a little advice

Hey guys -

I bought a 96 cab (high miles -109K) and am happy again. I had a 95 coupe that I sold with the birth of our daughter. Now that she is 17 months old and uh...still in the house, I talked the wife into another Porsche.

After having it a week, I think I am having panic attacks or something....I have a few issues in the last day of driving that concern me, I wonder if you have any advice.

Clutch -

The clutch feels great - or felt great on test drive, etc. No slipping, very firm, etc. However, I noticed today that it is sticking a little right at the top. It is like the little movement before youstart to push down. The clutch has an odd path that it travels, and the first part of this before the pressure kicks in is the part that concerns me. It feels like it is hanging a little when you release.

I think this is new, as I cannot imagine that I would not have noticed this in the last week of driving and now notice it.

Idle -

I was specifically concerned about idle when I first drove the car. I have seen a lot of guys on the board that have had problems with this issue. The idle seemd perfect for the last week - no issues at all. However, the last 2 days it has died right after starting (before driving) a few times this has happended 2-3 times in succession. I can't think this is bad gas, I am putting only super in it -

Any suggestions are appreciated.

I am going to join (support) the board this weekend. Thank you for the countless threads you all post and reply to - there is a wealth of information out there. One thing though - couldn't you search archive threads before - I do not see this option again.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 09:56 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clutch: Probably the slave cylinder, pretty common thing, you can try lubing the assembly ... check http://www.p-car.com for the DYI information.

Stalling: Check your DME relay, that's the first place people look when there's some weirdness happening.

Enjoy!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

I will try cleaning the slave cylinder - thanks for the link.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:47 PM
jcoll1
Advanced

you might also check and clean the Idle Air Control Valve simple procedure. I think it is also on p-car.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:10 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeap, what Vic and Jason said. I must also say that your clutch if its very heavy ( you said firm) then expect to have that changed in a little while. 993 clutches when are new they are very light indeed.
If after flushing the slave cylinder you still have the same issues then check the DIY of the "hanging clutch" pedal. If that does not fix it then...you need to replace the slave cylinder ( a PITA I might add )
Good luck and let us know what happened.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:49 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,781 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Mine has the same hanging pedal issue from time to time. Do a search. Several people have the problem and it appears to be no big deal and I don't belive your doing any damage by leaving it. Mine seems to do it in colder weather. Personally, I'm leaving it until the weather warms up. If it persists, then I'll look into the repairs mentioned above.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:07 AM
Kcreager1
Racer

It is just the last 3-4 inches on release, where it seems to go parallel to the ground. It is colder here the last few days....

I will try the clean/lube stuff first from p-car.com, then flush the slave cylinder. The weather is getting better mid-week, so between the three I might have a positive result. I will re-post later to close the loop. Hopefully with good news!
Old 01-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Ok - cleaned idle control valve following instructions on P-car.com...now I have not seen the idle (dying) problem again. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: Just bought 96 cab, need a little advice