Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

This is why I don't do DIY's and my MY 02 Shifter install gone bad...

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts
Default This is why I don't do DIY's and my MY 02 Shifter install gone bad...

So, spurred on by your "go for it" Steve cheering to simply do the MY 02 Shifter and Alum/Leather handbrake upgrade myself, I reluctantly attempted the shifter install tonight. One of you said it should only take 4-5 minutes, so to me that translated into an hour and a half. If I could at least accomplish this task in 90 minutes I'd be happy. Then I'd decide if I could tackle the handbrake or not. For that, I allotted in my head 2.5 hours for the learning curve.

So, I get started yanking down on the old leather like the 2 other times I tried it (but couldn't get it off before) and to my amazement the 3rd time was the charm- it finally came off. I was so happy, maybe I could do this supposedly easy install. Then I yanked really hard upwards on that old shifter **** when all of a sudden it came off it my hand. I felt like opening a bottle of champagne I was so elated till I remembered I don't drink.

I was ready for step 2 - putting on the new shifter ****. Piece of cake, right? Well, when I was yanking on the old shifter **** I must have pulled a muscle in my back, but that's ok. I'll survive with some Advil and a hot bath. I had to keep running upstairs to my computer to make sure I was doing it right (at least 10 times over the course of the last hour) and so far so good, till I reread the instructions for the 5th time -"Tighten the bolt with a 5mm allen key." But how far down do I push the shifter ****, the whole way I guess, right? And do I push it on with that rubber thing that was on the end of the shifter before, right? Now that I pushed and pushed the new **** on, is it really seated correctly and down far enough? What if the rubber thing is getting pushed really far down the shifter arm, stretching it to hell? Is the rubber thing actually on it correctly? These are all things I wonder as I do this. Was any of it correct?

I check the packaging from Carnewal and realize it doesn't come with a 5mm allen key. Crap - I have to go out to Home Depot to get one. I drive all the way to Home Depot, spend 10 minutes with a lady looking for a 5mm allen key or at least a cheap set but we can't find one . I finally find a very large and comparatively expensive set with a 29 other allen keys so I buy it, happy I can get on with this install...till I get to the counter and realize I forgot my darn wallet. Argggh. I was in so much of a rush to get to the store, well, you know that feeling I'm sure.

I go back to my car in defeat when a lightbulb goes off in my head - I have many spare $1 coins in my ashtray, just enough to get the $12 set. Yahoooo! I run back in, big smile on my face, buy the set and head on home to obvious victory, right?

Wrong. I take out the rather large 5mm allen key and realize it's WAY too big to fit in the screw. I run up to my computer 3 more times looking at the pretty picture Gert has on his site. I run back down, try it again, and... nothing. I think, "how could a website be wrong?" I'm just about ready to give up. Then I think, maybe it is wrong. I try other smaller keys and finally the 3mm key is the perfect fit. (so why does the site say 5mm?!?)

From Gert's site:

Tighten the bolt with a 5mm Allen key

The 3mm tightens the shifter **** on the shaft. I am ecstatic. Is it too tight? Too loose? Is the **** at the right place on the shifter? I wish another Rennlister was over here right about now. I'm about to be in shifting heaven though, right?

Wrong. I put the leather back down under the base of plastic surround like Gert's site says. It takes a few tries and I try to be as gentle as possible, but it appears I've cut part of the leather while doing this at the very edge on something sharp down there at the rounded part of the base. Argggggh. Death to me. I take a walk back upstairs to look at the web page and say a prayer to "let it go".
http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p93080_inst.htm
It looked so simple on his webpage. Only an idiot could mess this up.

Ok, I'm better. I go back down to the car some 90 minutes after starting this DIY and try to pull the leather base back up into place like it says. I can't. It's just not working for me. Plus, there are no clips on the right side of this boot. Are there supposed to be? Probably not, right?

I put the leather boot in and try to pull it up to fit it in place just like it says on Gert's site, but it just won't cooperate. I try to take another picture of it and then my Canon S400 breaks. I don't know why, but it won't focus, the lense barely goes in and out anymore and get's stuck trying to focus. The batteries are fine. I rap on it a bit and finally the lense moves but it's 30 minutes later now and the thing is barely working. Have to send it back to NY. Glad I got the extended warranty 3 years ago...

So the shifter is in my car, but it's not sitting right or in it's clips. I've pretty much given up for now. Any advice on how to get it to set up in the boot (is that the right terminology?) better without ripping the heck out of more of the leather?

Like I mentioned the other day on another post - there are some of us that are handy DIY'er, there are some that aren't. I had no illusions that I unfortunately fall into the latter category. I thought I could cross the line tonight but I was mistaken. If I can't get it to sit right into that boot thing, I guess I will drive over to the dealer tomorrow and see if a tech can simply pull that f**ker into place .

This is how mine looks right now...

This has been pretty much of another frustrating DIY, but hey, at least I tried it. Seeing that I may have ripped a small tear in the leather at the very base of the boot is additionally disappointing but what the hey - it's not like I lost a son in the war or am going through chemo at the hospital. It's just a messed up install on my car. Life could be worse.

Over and out, folks. It's been real.

Steve R
Old 01-10-2007, 08:59 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve, why didn't you call for help (on the phone is OK too). Yes these are things that if you know the little things, are easy. Without the little tricks, it can be frustrating and you can damage things. Don't let this put you off of DIY stuff. Nothing is simple if you have never done it before.... It does look good though so CONGRATS
Old 01-10-2007, 09:02 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, man, I feel for you.

But, I do have to say, you had me crackin' up reading your report.

It don't look too bad in the picture.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:05 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, do you want to know what to do or did you really surrender?
Old 01-10-2007, 09:29 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This reminds me of the time I tried to replace the turn signal switch in my 911SC ... got the wheel off only to discover some little plastic round piece with four holes in it that had to be unscrewed. I literally wasted about an hour trying carefully to measure and put four nails in a little piece of wood to create a tool to unscrew that sucker ... much frustration ... finally called my buddy who is a Porsche mechanic ... he finally drives over at the promise of a free dinner because he has no idea what I'm referring to, takes one look, laughs at me, grabs a pair of needle nose pliers, and has it off in about six seconds.

As I recall, just reach in there underneath, get one side to clip in first, then grab the leather on the other side and pull hard as hell or push under the leather with your fingers to work the frame up, it will go in. You won't break anything :-)
Old 01-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Steve,

I feel your pain sir... I hope you will be able to get some help and finish the install. BTW, my installer had the same problem that you're facing with the leather boot... unfortunately I don't know what he did to get it to work. He was able to after I gave him the print ouf of the instructions from GERT.

Really... don't feel bad. I tried to install my BK fire extinquisher bracket last week... I couldn't get the 6mm hex bolt in front to come lose... so I gave up before messing up the bolt.

Good luck...
Old 01-10-2007, 09:41 PM
hpuck
Rennlist Member

Default ..at least you tried it

You have no idea how many of us cowards out here are inspired by your efforts.
..guess who needs to have that done this spring
Old 01-10-2007, 09:56 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The story alone is worth an A+ .... but back to the DIY. You are a mere 30 sec away from screaming success.
On the right side of the opening, there are two small plastic hooks ( or 'half circles') that the side of the boots frame fit into .... much like a hinge. When this step is done, pinch the leather on the left side near the frame and pull upwards. This is to get the frame to snap into the two metal spring clips on the left - as the right side pivots on its 'hinge'.
Voila, you are done!!
Old 01-10-2007, 10:13 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

We have ALL been there, brother! This is how it always goes. "Remove four bolts" is quick and easy in theory, but in reality it translates to: "The first three bolts will come out easily. The fourth will not budge, and you'll strip the head, requiring a different tool and taking ten times as long to deal with that one bolt. Then, out of frustration, you'll drop the bolt and lose it, forcing you to scramble for a replacement..."

When it comes to attaining that all-too elusive "knack" for DIY projects, realize that you have to build up hard won experiences one project at a time. Each new project (And they're always new, aren't they? One never seems to repeat a project.) carries with it a steep learning curve, and the odds are you won't have the right tool, and the instructions will be wrong. Top that off with the pressure from wanting to get finished, and you start forgetting your wallet, etc. (I once forgot a child in the store, so preoccupied was I with not screwing up!)

Take solace from the collective misery of those who have struggled before you. Rejoice in the fact that you have gained an incremental amount of experience to guide you on the next DIY. (Yes, some skills port to the next project, like eyeballing which hex wrench to use.)

It does get better - slowly. Honest - and this is coming from a guy who took close to 40 years to figure this out. I would kick and punch inanimate objects, throw tools, break tools, and shout out a stream of epithets that would make a sailor blush. (So what's changed, my wife is asking me?) I'll tell you - it's perspective. I know and expect that this is how it works, so I'm on guard against things messing up, and me messing up. Odd thing is, now I don't mess up as much. Over time, you won't either. Keep your cool, and all will be well.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 PM
mborkow
Drifting

i am not a DIYer, and this was a struggle for me. i found it easier to get the shifter on by removing the whole center console so i could a better view of what i was doing (it was much easier to get the shift boot in place when looking from underneath). hope that helps...
Old 01-10-2007, 10:15 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheAir
Oh, man, I feel for you.

But, I do have to say, you had me crackin' up reading your report.

It don't look too bad in the picture.
+1 I'm sorry, I can't usually read the long ones, but you had me chuckling too I feel for ya brother, and as one that "can do", let me just offer support in spirit since not capable in person. You can do it, just take a deep breath, calm down and go at it again with a clear mind. Be smarter than the car
Old 01-10-2007, 10:15 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 852 Likes on 435 Posts

Thanks guys. I appreciate your similar stories of woe as well, they're always good for a laugh. I may tackle the rest of this in the next day or so... I need a mental health "time out" before I try to get that damn boot on again.

Viper Bob, Thanks. I didn't call you because it just seemed like one of those things that you could only do if you were here with your fingers in the leather boot itself. Plus, It's hard to pick up that 10,000 lb phone and ask a stranger for help, if you know what I mean. I was being stubborn and told my wife that I don't need any help from her either (as she gave me that look like "you're acting a little crazy right now stomping through the house up to your computer and back 10 times".

Steve R
Old 01-10-2007, 10:27 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Steve

I had the same issue. I removed the center console and lifted it to better seat the lower ring. Turns out I had to trim a piece of leather that was tucked into place. By this I mean the leather that covers the center console. That and a touch of superglue and it was all good

Tim
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Steve,
I really want that shift **** - let me know when you're sick of it.

You should be fine if you follow Garth's advice - give it one more attempt before shutting down for the night.

Andreas
Old 01-10-2007, 10:50 PM
CarmG993
Burning Brakes

DIY projects get better, don't let little things discourage you, it's all a learning experience.
When I changed my motor mounts I snapped one of the retaining screws because of the wrong torque settings on website. Had my wife run to auto parts store and they gave her a bolt for free.
My latest DIY, my oil change, I come across a stripped bolt from previous oil change. I was pretty agitated, still am. But w/ the Rennlist support group, providing insite, it makes things that much more interesting and fun.
The shifter looks great. Can you take out the center console to see what you are working w/ to get a better idea on how to seat it properly?

Quick Reply: This is why I don't do DIY's and my MY 02 Shifter install gone bad...