Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Key Stuck in Ignition...

Old 01-01-2007, 01:21 AM
993Dude
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Stuck in Ignition...

I've only had my '98 993 for a few weeks and I have an issue which may not sound like much but could turn into a headache. When I turn the ingition off, the key won't turn all the way to the left and gets stuck in the off position. I then can't turn it back on or get the key out of the ignition. With patience and quite a bit of jiggling I can get the key out, but then once the key is inserted it won't turn in either direction. I have tried both keys that came with the car with similar result. The steering wheel turns freely in this condition, so its not a matter of the wheel locking against the key.

Questions:

Am I looking at having to replace the keys or the cylinder or both?
Is a cylinder replacement something I can attack myself of is it pretty funky?
Is this a common dilemma?

Thanks for the feedback...
Old 01-01-2007, 01:30 AM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perchance do you have a TIP?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:44 AM
993Dude
Advanced

I do have a Tip...
Old 01-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Simon Shearer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've made this mistake a few times with my TIP. Same result each time. As long as you are careful to turn the key to the off position ONLY after selecting PARK, you shouldn't have any problem going forward. If you make a mistake and turn the key to off in DRIVE, or in any other gear, the key will get stuck...
Old 01-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do a search on 'key' and 'tiptronic', apparently if the tip's shifter gets out of adjustment it can jack up the ignition lock in the way you describe.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:39 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 992 Likes on 527 Posts

I though it was your car's way of saying, "I am not ready to stop now!"
Old 01-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
Do a search on 'key' and 'tiptronic', apparently if the tip's shifter gets out of adjustment it can jack up the ignition lock in the way you describe.
Happened to me. Easy fix for someone that knows the cars. Don't mess with the ignition key anymore. You'll just mess it up. The problem isn't there.
Old 01-01-2007, 02:18 PM
Pete
Instructor

I had a similar problem the first time or two I drove mine until my son drove it and mentioned that there is sort of a stiff spring in the ignition switch that allows the key to be turned a few degrees counterclockwise from the "off" position to remove the key. If you are stopping at off and not turning the extra few degrees against the stiff spring, that's your probem. Tey turning just a little bit harder (not hard enough to break something!) and the key should come right out.

HTH
Pete
Old 01-01-2007, 03:42 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Also try a small shot of WD40 in the ignition switch, but the problem most likely is in the gear selector nadjustment.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:34 PM
rcwelch
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I asked if you had a Tip was that my car did the same thing and the final fix was to remove the switch panels in front of the shifter and adjust the cable linkage of the shifter a little ( it lies just under those panels ). It turned out mine was just a little out of adjustment and by tightening it up, it now works fine...I think it is a 10 or 12mm nut ( double locking). It's pretty easy. PM me if you need more instructions.
Old 01-01-2007, 08:20 PM
993Dude
Advanced

I did all of the above. I got the key out by rocking the car back and forth and "re-shifting" it into park. I also shot the ignition with a bit of WD-40 for good measure. There is clearly a knack to pushing it in slightly while turning the key a bit past noon counterclockwise. Looks like I need to adjust the shifter cable if it keeps up. I am ok doing the shifter dance but I'm not sure the wife will be...
Old 01-01-2007, 09:00 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Dude
I did all of the above. I got the key out by rocking the car back and forth and "re-shifting" it into park. I also shot the ignition with a bit of WD-40 for good measure. There is clearly a knack to pushing it in slightly while turning the key a bit past noon counterclockwise. Looks like I need to adjust the shifter cable if it keeps up. I am ok doing the shifter dance but I'm not sure the wife will be...
That sort of improvisational thing would be acceptable if it was a Buick or some such trash, but not a Porsche. Fix it!
Old 01-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Thaddeus
That sort of improvisational thing would be acceptable if it was a Buick or some such trash, but not a Porsche. Fix it!
What, you don't like the idea of reaching around the steering wheel to grab/pull the column shift lever so you can start the car? I think that was the routine in early-70's GM's, correct?
Old 01-01-2007, 09:37 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Dude
You might want to consider, as mentioned, adjusting the shifter cables before you wear out the ignition cylinder.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:43 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Wonder if the steering lock has something to do with this problem? does the key turn easier when wiggling the steering wheel?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Key Stuck in Ignition...