993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Driving Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 08:31 PM
billhart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Driving Impressions

As mentioned in another thread, I just bought a 96 C4 Cab with 20k miles. The car had one owner since new, but needed some attention, so after almost three weeks, I finally got a chance to really drive it today for the first time. (I didn't do any mods, but had the top replaced, new 18"wheels and tires, HID lights, stripping out funky old phone wiring, some minor cosmetic stuff and a few missing odds and ends). Here's my take:

The driver position is a little unusual. The wheel is quite close to the dashboard, and is immovable (AFAIK). This puts the seat up a little closer to the dashboard than I'm used to, but once i fiddled with it (the seat adjustments are a breeze), I was comfy. It was close to 60 degree F today, so the top went down immediately, and I made for the backroads. The car feels small, and not excessively heavy, but still seems a little trucklike at low speeds. (I like heavy steering, and have found most modern power assisted sports cars to be overassisted). Notwithstanding what I considered to be a "high" adjustment for my seating position, the driver's side door felt higher than a modern car- the lack of rake to the windshield made the car feel very old school. Once I started to get on it- the car seemed to come alive in a very predictable, lithe way. I was not doing any mega-speeds, in fact the sensation of speed seems greater in this car than in more modern sportscars, but very involving. I was a little concerned about missing shifts, since I am used to a 'gated' shifter (ala Ferrari, Lambo), but, even with what I assume is a stock shifter set-up, it was pretty easy to slot on downshifts, and the car was very stable/forgiving, making it easy for me to blip (I wasn't really doubleclutching) and downshift without feeling rushed.
When the motor comes 'on cam,' the car powered up smoothly- not used to engine sound, or the way the sound seems to change when the rear spoiler lifts. It obviously doesn't have the power of a supercar, but that's not why I bought it- my last Porsche, a 996 GT2 (which was set up as a clubsport) was an animal, but I didn't really like the binary quality of the turbo. Now, granted, I have other cars I can drive for sheer speed, so I am not demanding that of this car. But, it is nice to know that the car can pull once the revs are up. The ergonomics, other than adjusting to the upright/tight steering wheel, were pretty good. I really enjoyed the overall shape of the dash, and the lack of plastic fascia parts, with cheap little switches, that made my GT2 look like such a POS for 196k dollars, or whatever it was new.

I probably did about 150 miles today, up through Bear Mtn., then onto the reservoirs, and back down via some highways through westchester. The car was easy to drive on the highway, did not tramline, and the winddam (or whatever you call it) kept cockpit turbulence at a real minimum even at highway speeds.
I am really looking forward to driving this car. My first drive gave me great confidence that this car does so much right.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:11 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Bill,
Great write-up. The 'old-school' nature of the 993 is one of the reasons I love this car so much. Simplicity coupled with a very involved driving experience are some of its hallmarks.

Each drive becomes an event.

Andreas
Old 12-07-2006, 09:15 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You're learning that they really took special care when building those C4 Cabs--I guess they love them more.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:59 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

enjoyed your write up ... thanks for sharing
Old 12-07-2006, 10:03 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Great write-up, you nailed it.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Bill,
Great write-up. The 'old-school' nature of the 993 is one of the reasons I love this car so much. Simplicity coupled with a very involved driving experience are some of its hallmarks.
Look at you now. And to think you even considered a 996...
Old 12-07-2006, 11:02 PM
993 Guy
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear that you're already enjoying the 993 Bill. I'm picking up my 993 from Rick Deman this weekend and look forward to enjoying her a little bit more before the the weather turns.

The 993 is like a fine wine, beautiful proportions and a pure essence that can only be appreciated after having spent some time with it. Let it breathe, open it up and get to know all the oddities while at the same time appreciating it's visceral nature. As you get deeper into the experience you will realize that you have something very special and only then will you be able to truly explore its potential.

You have seen the way I drive my 993 and its capabilities amongst the most powerful cars on the planet. She isn't the fastest nor the most exotic by a long shot, but she is the most infinitely enjoyable machine to experience in every situation. It is the only car that I have owned which I am excited to get into everytime I open the door and the only one that makes me smile time after time no matter what the circumstance.

Enjoy it in good health my friend...I have no doubt that you will reflect on this purchase as one you should have made long ago.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:49 PM
ARM993
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write up Bill. They are very special indeed. I had a coworker ride with me today and he was impressed with the simplicity and "real" sports car nature that you don't find anymore. Not the fastest tool available but it has a character and personality unlike any other. Enjoy.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:50 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Look at you now. And to think you even considered a 996...
Stand by!

Andreas
Old 12-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Bill,

Each drive becomes an event.

Andreas
Being part of the car is a great sensation...the 993 is a 356 on steroids!!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:11 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Gated shifters are for *****'s............................................just kidding.

Give it few hundred downshifts and you never miss a gated shifter plate again.........these G50's are exceptional tranny's but each one is slightly different in shifting and always takes a little bit of time to get used to.

Good Luck and glad to hear you are enjoying what we all have experienced in our 993's vs other Porsches we have owned.

ZP44

Quick Reply: 993 Driving Impressions