Steering Wheels (Momo & FVD) - Install and Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 10:06 AM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Steering Wheels (Momo & FVD) - Install and Impressions

For my Rennlist friends and the archives, I thought I would summarize some steering wheel options/details in one single place. There are tid-bits throughout Rennlist and I did a lot of searching and reading of threads on Rennlist to get the whole picture, so I will summarize here so others don't have to go through the many threads.

I am 6'2" and have found that the sitting position with the stock steering wheel is a bit uncomfortable and restricting in the leg room and arm reach. The stock steering wheel hits my legs just above the knee and makes shuffle steering required even on the street. The other option is to sit so far away from the steering wheel that I can barely get the clutch to the floor and then the steering wheel is a full reach to get to.

I have installed and used the Momo Mod.07 and the FVD 340mm Silberpfeil steering wheel. Following are installation instructions and impressions on how they feel in the car.

Stock Wheel Removal
Unhook the battery for at least 20 minutes before starting.

Then use an allen wrench (hex head) to remove the airbag from the stock wheel. Unhook the airbag plug and the 2 horn wires. Then remove the 15/16 bolt from the steering shaft and remove the steering wheel. Before doing this make sure the steering wheel is straight so you can install the new one in the same straight location.

Momo Mod.07 Wheel
As my speeds progressed on the track I moved to track seats, roll bar, and harnesses, but still had the same problem with leg room and interference with the steering. I followed some of my friends and bought the Momo Mod.07

I used this thread and instruction from Eric in Chicago (Thanks Eric) to do the installation.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ing+wheel+momo

The instructions in this thread are pretty self explanatory, but the most difficult part of the install is getting the airbag & horn wires disconnected. I can't remember how I ended up getting it done, but it wasn't as difficult as others have said, but did take some flexibility and patience.

You can avoid the airbag light and hookup the horn, following is how. I cut the 4 wires so the plastic connectors stayed with the wires connected to the clock spring.

Airbag Light
Remember to disconnect the battery for at least 20 minutes before starting the install or unplugging the airbag. If you don't the airbag light will come on and that requires a trip to the shop to turn it off.

Eric's instructions talk about a Porsche part for the airbag light, but that part is a couple hundred bucks now, so I found an alternative. The airbag system tests to ensure that the airbag resistence exists in the electrical circuit each time the car starts. To fool the system to believing that the airbag is in place I bought a resister from www.airbagonoff.com for I think about $20. They will try to charge you $100 for the instructions that you don't need because of Rennlist.

All you then need to do is to connect the two airbag wires (yellow I believe) to either end of the resister and the sytem believes the airbag is there and there will be no warning light.

Horn Hookup
To hookup the horn you will need to install Porsche part 964 652 104 00.

There is already a hole in the steering column for this part to slip right in. You will then need to connect the positive horn wire (brown w/ white stripe) to this part. I did this by extending the brown/white wire with some additional wire and used a slip on connector to the end of the 964 part. Then when you install the wheel hub be sure that the 964 part is making contact with the bronze ring on the hub. The final step is to intall the horn button in the wheel and connect the single wire to the horn button. When the horn button is pushed it will ground and cause the horn to sound.

Fit and Finish
The Momo Mod.07 wheel is a little smaller in diameter than the stock wheel and when installed sits about 1" closer to you. This change in position was great for my leg room and allows me to not shuffle steer if so desired. It also allows me to slide much farther forward to get closer to the wheel for a better driving position for the track or street.

FVD 340mm Silberpfeil
Since I now drive my car everyday, I wanted to have an airbag wheel so I just installed this wheel last night and it took about 30 minutes and I am not fast at this stuff.

The install will also require the appropriate hub as pictured.

The installation is very simple and the wiring is plug and play. Again, remember to unhook the battery for at least 20 minutes before starting and you need to remove the airbag from the wheel using a torx wrench.

I started by attaching the hub to the wheel itself with the 4 hex screws. Then install the wheel and hub in the car and tighten down the 15/16 nut.

Then attach the two wires that came with the hub to the two connectors for the horn (you can't do this wrong becuase the connector types and sizes are setup for you). Then connect the positive horn wire (brown/white stripe) to the other end of one of these new wires (again you can't do this wrong because the connectors on the wires already). Then connect the other two connectors to the connectors screwed into the hub itself (grounds).

Your final step is to install the airbag connector to the airbag and install it on the wheel tightening down the torx screws.

Fit and Finish
Like the Momo wheel the FVD wheel is smaller in diameter to the stock wheel and is placed a little closer to you in the drivers seat (away from the dash). The wheel is only about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch farther away from the dash (not as far as the Momo), but the impact to the leg room and driving positing is more dramatic than you might think. I was amazed that the small amount of change has made my sitting position much more comfortable and the leg room feels much better.

I hope this helps others that are considering making a steering wheel change.

-Skip
Old 10-26-2006, 10:57 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip....what an excellent right up.....how much did the two alternates cost?
Old 10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I fitted the same wheel but in the 360 size and am quite pleased with it.

PS. The little "raid" emble peels off without a trace.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Great write-up, Skip! Things must be slow at work. Wanna come by and clay my car?? Seriously...
Old 10-26-2006, 02:30 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

David - The FVD steering wheel cost $800 (with hub) and the Momo cost somewhere around $300 with the hub (if I remember).

Mark - I'll make a trade - I'll detail your car as many times as you want in the next year for your Motons!

-Skip
Old 10-30-2006, 04:53 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You should be able to buy that Raid wheel from www.duw.de for about $600-650 including shipping to the US. But you'll need to navigate your way around a German website.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheels (Momo & FVD) - Install and Impressions