993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Bilstein HD shocks and Euro M033 springs

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts
Default 993 Bilstein HD shocks and Euro M033 springs

Hi all; looking for opinions on the above upgrade. My new (to me) 1997 Carrera has leaking original shocks. The PO sold me the car with a complete set of Bilstein HD shocks and M033 Euro springs from Carnewal. I spoke to Gert at Carnewal and he said his HD shocks have modified thread to allow for loewring all the way to Euro RS height; but he recommended not going lower than 40MM from US ride height. He said the M033 srings were the type installed on Euro 993 C4S's.

Where I live, the roads are pretty lousy. I will probably see 6 track days per year, the rest being for pleasure driving on the street. Before I have these parts installed, does anyone have any experience with this combo? I would like firm ride; but within reason, in view of the bad roads I need to navigate.

Would love to hear from anyione who has installed this setup - what was the difference before/after.

Thanks in advance for any advice~!

Cheers

Matt
Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 PM
Brett - 1996 C4
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Try the search function. There were so many threads on this in just the past several months you'll be able to find out more than you ever wanted to know about this upgrade, including the massive thread on the DIY writeup (thanks, Jeff!).
Old 06-05-2006, 12:26 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of thoughts:
  • Gert's Bilstein HD's (and the ones sold in the US (from newer stock)) do have the extra threads.
  • As far as the ride height goes, given your poor roads, you might want to lower the car to ROW Sport or even ROW Standard height (which is a tad higher). That being said, my car is lowered to RS+5mm (with is lower than ROW Sport), and I don't have any troubles on our crumby roads.
  • If you are going to track the car, I would opt for the MO30 springs, rather than the MO33s. The MO30 are progressive rate springs with a higher spring rate compared to the MO33 springs, which are linear springs. In fact, MO33 springs provide the same spring rate as your stock US springs, albeit shorter to permit lowering.
  • Although the MO33 springs were installed on the C4S, the upgrade to the sport suspension was the MO30.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:38 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 654 Likes on 387 Posts

I vote for M030 springs with a ride height of ROW Sport minus 5mm. The progressive rate of the M030 springs will take care of the street driving while serving you much better on the track. The ride height will be high enough for any street driving on rough roads but low enough for track and appearance.

DO NOT FORGET TO GET GERT'S FRONT PROTECTION BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards
Jim

Quick Reply: 993 Bilstein HD shocks and Euro M033 springs