993 Forum 1995-1998

Chapel hill, NC a good place to live?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Chapel hill, NC a good place to live?

I am considering moving to Chaple hill, NC.

Can anyone tell me anything about this place?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:39 PM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Overall the Triangle area is quite nice but it really depends on what you as an individual are looking for. I prefer Raleigh, but some that i work with really like CH. Chapel Hill has the highest tax rates in the area. This is mostly because they are very anti business, which leads to few businesses setting up shop, which leads to a lower relative tax base, which leads to a higher tax rate for its lucky residents. I get to hear all about it over lunch from colleagues.

If you need direct flights to a lot of places, not so good. If you are looking for a great place to raise a family with a very reasonable cost of living, very good. Summers are hot and muggy, winters are coldish but overall mild - there is little in between. Very good university community - Duke, NC State, UNC.

What is important to you?
Old 03-08-2006, 07:47 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Well, my main reasons are:

Lower cost of living
Good enviornment for family
Don't want a house payment anymore
Old 03-08-2006, 07:50 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robin,
The next silicon valley is right here in Albuquerque...I think. Fly over for the day, I'll show you around.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:52 PM
Benton
Drifting

Check out Charlotte, NC. I know several people who love that area.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

John,

You got a job for me there? I have no problem moving to NM. One of the reason why I am considering NC is because there might be an opportunity there.

In matter of fact I am open for anything right now, I am free to move to anywhere... just don't want to be here in CA anymore.
Old 03-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Winston-Salem is nice too, Robin.
But, you should come to Austin. It is a great place, but not as good as it used to be because too many folks have moved here, so the roads are crowded and housing has gone up. Mostly you need to move here to help me work on my car and so I can hear a set of RSRs.
Take care.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:14 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Great

Place to live....affordable with friendly folks and a full four season climate.....not to far from VIR
Old 03-08-2006, 08:47 PM
mbpa
Instructor

Moved to Chapel Hill 3 years ago and love it. Nice mix of quiet college town, relatively low cost of living, outdoor activities, great schools, convenience of having an airport without long security lines, business activity of RTP, and Raleigh and the triad not too far away. 3 hours to the mountains and 2 hours to great beaches. Oh, and of course there is basket ball ... pick a side.

Happy to tell you more if you like.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:05 PM
GratefulJED
Burning Brakes

Robin - you of all people know there is opportunity everywhere! Who would have thunk a little muffler shop that opened in Georgia would wind up in both Florida and Cali?! Whatever happened to China??!! Drop me your number, I'll call you, and we can catch up...
Old 03-08-2006, 09:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That area, which I visit often, is one of the few places I would move to if I ever moved. I think that given your stated criteria, you would like it a lot.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:15 PM
tobyport
Instructor

Robin-- You need to fly into RDU and visit North Carolina. Top reasons are the climate, European Performance in Raleigh for great p-car service, booming economy, close to NC mountains for great driving experiences, close to the beach (if you like that kind of thing), VIR and Carolina Motorsports Park, plus you can come to Pinehurst and help me finish all of the mods I have started (and never finished) on my 993's from visiting your website!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:18 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tobyport
Robin-- You need to fly into RDU and visit North Carolina. Top reasons are the climate, European Performance in Raleigh for great p-car service, booming economy, close to NC mountains for great driving experiences, close to the beach (if you like that kind of thing), VIR and Carolina Motorsports Park, plus you can come to Pinehurst and help me finish all of the mods I have started (and never finished) on my 993's from visiting your website!
Can you help me with the greens on Pinehurst #2????
Old 03-08-2006, 09:24 PM
tobyport
Instructor

Bull-- They are more fun to play when you don't have to pay the $300+ for a round! Golf=Organised Walking!
Old 03-08-2006, 09:29 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Well it's not the BEACH but it is a nice place to be. My only complaint is that the area between Raleigh and Winston Salem ( called the Peidmont) tends to get a weird mix of rain/slush weather. Coming from CA, everything will be cheap to you. I think Charlotte is even cheaper than both RPT or here at the beach.

Quick Reply: Chapel hill, NC a good place to live?