Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Hifi pack wiring

Old 11-30-2005, 03:31 PM
David R
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Hifi pack wiring

I have what I presume to be an aftermarket Sony head unit in my 993 currently. The car has the hifi pack with amp under the passenger seat. I'm going to replace the head unit with a Porsche / Becker version and when inspecting the existing wiring it looks like the Sony head unit uses its speaker outputs (not line level) to feed into a small black box out of which comes a 10pin round plug...

I'm assuming that the black box turns the amplified signal into a line level signal for the OEM amp with the hifi pack. If so, what a botch!

Can anyone confirm my suspicions and if possible let me know how a standard porsche radio or aftermarket radio with RCA line level outputs would wire in?

At the moment it looks like I'll have to buy a female 10pin socket to match the car's harness and wire it in manually - any thougts?

Cheers!
Old 11-30-2005, 03:55 PM
grmnxtc
Pro

Photo's would help with the descriptions....

The "standard" connectivity is via the line out as per the DIN standards. I think there is an 8 pin rectangular connector on the back of the receiver for lineouts, and another 8 pin rectangular for the power input etc.

Never heard of a female 10 pin round... the Hi-fi amp does have an 8 pin round DIN connector on it, but I didn't think it was the same at the receiver end?....

Again. Pictures would help.

Also, here's a thread on Pelican where I give info on the pinouts etc.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ight=blaupunkt

Clive.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:07 PM
David R
Instructor

Sorry to be vague - I have no photos as amongst my catalogue of disasters today my camera has broken, my printer stopped working and the becker unit I ordered mail order arrived with red illumination rather than amber...

I assume that this is what I incorrectly referred to as the "10 pin connector" - seems my eyesight has gone west today too

I assumed that porsche would use line level into the amp and I'm also assuming that because the line outputs on the Sony radio are not connected this mysterious black box (8 multicoloured speaker wires go in and 8 pin connector comes out - no markings, numbers or logos whatsoever on the box) turns an amplified output into a line equivalent (and screws up the quality on the way)

It doesn't look like the wire leading to the 8 pin connector (tucked behind the radio itself) has been altered - any idea if porsche OEM had another connector to turn this into the usual DIN standard as found on the back of the porsche / becker head units?

Thanks again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 993 Hifi pack wiring